Registering a 3-Wheel Experimental Vehicle in Michigan

Started by 280Z Turbo, May 08, 2011, 12:09:21 AM

280Z Turbo

We're trying to build an electrical 3 wheel vehicle for my senior design project. 2 wheels in front, 1 in the back...think Aptera, but a little more "homemade". :lol:

This gives the requirements of a moped:
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/SOS-430_Moped_Certification_290967_7.pdf

Basically, the professor wants us to build this thing to meet moped specs, but it will seat two people side by side, be enclosed, and (supposedly) weigh 350 lbs with batteries and all. I guess he has a moped title, but the moped got thrown out. The plan is to say it's a 1987 Honda Spree or whatever but use no parts from the moped. Is this legal?

Also, we have a title and a frame from an '82 Honda Silverwing GL500. The rear half may be incorporated into our car. If the prof decides to register it as this motorcycle instead, is that legal? I could see insurance being an issue, but who's to say it isn't just a modified Silverwing?

This is kind of a gray area, so any light that our resident LEOs could shine on this subject would be helpful.

hounddog

No, what he is suggesting you do, registering the vehicle as something it is not is felony fraud.  And by trying to get you all to go along with him is conspiracy to commit fraud, which could open you up to the exact same felony charges he would be facing by a lying to the SOS.

People build vehicles all the time, this is actually not an issue as it is a "Specially Constructed Vehicle" and is covered under 257.218 if the Michigan Motor Vehicle Code.

Unless you or your team intends to actually operate the vehicle on the public roads, or in any place open to vehicular traffic there is no reason to register it anyway.

Go to your local SOS office and request information on Specially Constructed Vehicles, and what needs to be done to get it properly registered.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: hounddog on May 12, 2011, 08:06:17 PM
No, what he is suggesting you do, registering the vehicle as something it is not is felony fraud.  And by trying to get you all to go along with him is conspiracy to commit fraud, which could open you up to the exact same felony charges he would be facing by a lying to the SOS.

People build vehicles all the time, this is actually not an issue as it is a "Specially Constructed Vehicle" and is covered under 257.218 if the Michigan Motor Vehicle Code.

Unless you or your team intends to actually operate the vehicle on the public roads, or in any place open to vehicular traffic there is no reason to register it anyway.

Go to your local SOS office and request information on Specially Constructed Vehicles, and what needs to be done to get it properly registered.

:pullover: :nono: He'll be deported back to Bulgaria! :lol:

Well, the professor wants to actually use this thing to drive from his house to campus.

I guess as of yesterday we now have an actual moped we will use for parts. The question is where is the line between modified and something else entirely? I guess we need to have it inspected, right?

He really doesn't want it to be classified as a car (even though it's enclosed) so if Michigan has a classification for custom built mopeds or motorcycles that would be ideal.

hounddog

Well, it could well fall under "Assembled Vehicle" then, I thought it was for competition.

http://www.dmv.org/mi-michigan/custom-built-cars.php

As I said before, contact you local SOS office and ask them how to properly register it.  It really should not require intentionally lying to get it properly registered, which would be found out anyway when he has the registration/safety inspection done.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

280Z Turbo

Thanks. :ohyeah:

Hopefully they don't just give me blank stares at the SOS office.

hounddog

They are civil service employees, you are guaranteed one blank stare and two over the top snarky remarks.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

S204STi

Huh, I always figured that anything with three wheels was a "motorcycle" by definition, as insulting as that is.  I guess I thought wrong.

hounddog

Quote from: R-inge on May 15, 2011, 12:55:42 PM
Huh, I always figured that anything with three wheels was a "motorcycle" by definition, as insulting as that is.  I guess I thought wrong.
Yes.  And, no.  :lol:

It depends on the seating.  For a motorcyle the person running it is a rider since he sits on top of the machine, while the person running a car sits more "inside" the machine making him an operator.

I know;  :rolleyes:  but I did not write the law.  :lol:

257.31 ?Motorcycle? defined.
Sec. 31. ?Motorcycle? means every motor vehicle having a saddle or seat for the use of the rider and
designed to travel on not more than 3 wheels in contact with the ground but excluding a tractor.

History: 1949, Act 300, Eff. Sept. 23, 1949

257.33 ?Motor vehicle? defined.
Sec. 33. ?Motor vehicle? means every vehicle that is self-propelled, but for purposes of chapter 4 of this act motor vehicle does not include industrial equipment such as a forklift, a front-end loader, or other construction equipment that is not subject to registration under this act. Motor vehicle does not include an electric patrol vehicle being operated in compliance with the electric patrol vehicle act. Motor vehicle does not include an electric personal assistive mobility device.

History: 1949, Act 300, Eff. Sept. 23, 1949;?Am. 1993, Act 300, Eff. Jan. 1, 1994;?Am. 1995, Act 140, Imd. Eff. July 10, 1995;?
Am. 1997, Act 56, Imd. Eff. July 1, 1997;?Am. 2002, Act 494, Imd. Eff. July 3, 2002.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

S204STi