Woman survives 7 weeks in wilderness in her Chevy Astro

Started by cawimmer430, May 10, 2011, 02:10:01 PM

cawimmer430

Video: Woman survives 7 weeks in wilderness in her Chevy Astro

The Chretiens left British Columbia with their Chevrolet Astro Van pointing towards Las Vegas. Rita and her husband Albert were embarking on a 1,200-mile road trip. Unfortunately for the Chretiens, and for reasons we don't know, that Asto Van ended up stuck in the mud out in the Nevada wilderness.

After sitting helpless for a few days, Rita's husband couldn't wait around any more and left on foot to try and find some help. Rita stayed behind, and survived for seven weeks in the Chevy before a group of hunters came across the stuck vehicle. Rita Chretien had survived by rationing her trail mix and drinking melted snow. Sadly, Albert has not yet been found but the search for Mr. Chretien continues. Click past the jump to watch an ABC News spot on this story.

Link: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/09/woman-survives-7-weeks-in-wilderness-in-her-chevy-astro/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Speed_Racer

7 weeks?! How much trail mix did she have?
EDIT: Just got the video to load. 1 tablespoon/day

But talk about being a survivor.

the Teuton

Everyone always said the Astro was shaped like a barn. At some point, it became one.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Secret Chimp

I want to know how their dumb asses got stuck way out there in the first place. "This road is boring, let's go as the crow flies!"

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

cawimmer430

I bet this event will increase the ranking of the Astro in IIHS and it'll now make the "Safest Car" list from Consumer Reports!  :devil:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Secret Chimp on May 10, 2011, 04:09:03 PM
I want to know how their dumb asses got stuck way out there in the first place.

They thought their Astro had AWD.  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

SVT666

These people live just 10 minutes from me.  Search parties have been looking for them for the entire time.  Personally, I just want to know why the hell they were on a logging road instead of a highway. 

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

cawimmer430

Quote from: SVT666 on May 10, 2011, 05:13:22 PM
Personally, I just want to know why the hell they were on a logging road instead of a highway. 

Maybe they wanted to "get to know each other better" in the woods. Their marriage was a little boring so they were looking for a way to spice things up. The woods make perfect sense.  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

SVT666

Apparently, they were taking a shortcut through the mountains directed by their GPS.  It reminds me of the episode of "The Office" when Michael Scott and Dwight drive into a river because the GPS told them to turn and Michael kept yelling "The machine knows where it's going.  The machine knows."

The video is mirrored but here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0C16AzLa14

Eye of the Tiger

I've followed my GPS into a road that apparently turned into a boulder-strewn mud pit. The Rodeo got stuck. I did not survive.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

SVT666

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 11, 2011, 06:03:41 PM
I've followed my GPS into a road that apparently turned into a boulder-strewn mud pit. The Rodeo got stuck. I did not survive.
Bullshit.  Rodeos don't get stuck.

Mustangfan2003

Goes to show you that the GPS isn't always right.  Mine told me one time I was in the Tennessee River. 

cawimmer430

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on May 15, 2011, 10:35:08 AM
Goes to show you that the GPS isn't always right.  Mine told me one time I was in the Tennessee River. 

My GPS system today told me to turn left - into the Isar river. I was like "WTF"? Bitch has never told me to do something as stupid like this before.  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

S204STi

Quote from: Rupert on May 10, 2011, 08:34:24 PM
Logging road in the middle of Nevada? o_0

Harvesting Mesquite out there?  Are there even trees in that state? :lol:

93JC

Quote from: omicron on May 15, 2011, 08:07:10 AM

What are you doing!? People outside of Canada aren't supposed to know anything about old Prime Ministers, including their names.

Galaxy

Quote from: 93JC on May 15, 2011, 02:28:34 PM
What are you doing!? People outside of Canada aren't supposed to know anything about old Prime Ministers, including their names.

Well he did make international news because of what his opponent did.  Kim Campbell's add mocking his disability is a prime example of political suicide.

Rupert

Quote from: R-inge on May 15, 2011, 01:38:28 PM
Harvesting Mesquite out there?  Are there even trees in that state? :lol:

Exactly. It's just a dirt road. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

omicron

Quote from: 93JC on May 15, 2011, 02:28:34 PM

Your dirty little secrets are not safe from me!

the Teuton

2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

the Teuton

They got a lot safer by the time they were discontinued in 2005.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on May 15, 2011, 10:35:08 AM

I was on the freeway in TN/KY when it suddenly said I was in HAWAII. For about 5 minutes, then I was back in TN. But I didn't drive howmanythousandsomiles in 5minutes.
Will

Secret Chimp

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Morris Minor

Our Mercedes' SatNav system is almost wholly worthless. Best advice if you own one is to remove the DVD, sell it on eBay, and use the proceeds to buy a Garmin to stick to the windshield.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși