Thinking about a Cadillac CTS, thoughts?

Started by nickdrinkwater, May 18, 2011, 08:40:11 AM

nickdrinkwater

Hi guys, long time since I posted on here.  Looking at getting a new (to me) car soon.  I?m trying to build a short list of alternatives.   My requirements are:

Medium size, nothing significantly bigger than my Passat
Leather
6 cylinders
Affordable insurance for a 24 year-old such as me
Not too bothered about fuel consumption because I only use the car at weekends and do about 5,000 miles annually

The Cadillac ticks those boxes.  There?s not many of them about so they're cheap.  you?re looking at about ?6000-7000 ($10,000-11,500) for a 2005-2007 top spec with the 3.6 engine and 30,000 miles.
http://www.evanshalshaw.com/VehicleSearch/Used/cadillac-used-car-VX57GPY.html?qs=False&type=1

Here's an example:

Anyone driven or own one of these cars and can let me know if they are any good?

Alternatively I will look at the Lexus IS300s which are a more ideal size but a bit older.

Eye of the Tiger

I have only driven the CTS-V, and was far too involved in playing with the engine to notice if the rest of it was any good. I think it was, though.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

omicron

2o6

nickdrinkwater

The only thing putting me off the Lexus is the look of the interior.  Shallow I know.  I've no doubt about the quality but I don't really like the "busy" appearance of the buttons and gagues.  Trying to warm up to it though.

2o6

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on May 18, 2011, 09:08:10 AM
The only thing putting me off the Lexus is the look of the interior.  Shallow I know.  I've no doubt about the quality but I don't really like the "busy" appearance of the buttons and gagues.  Trying to warm up to it though.

The IS is also hilariously cramped inside.

omicron

Quote from: 2o6 on May 18, 2011, 09:32:40 AM
The IS is also hilariously cramped inside.

Which is an excellent excuse to kick everyone else out and drive alone.

Vinsanity

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on May 18, 2011, 09:08:10 AM

The interior of the 1st-gen CTS is definitely not its strong point. If anything, that's its biggest failing. The quality is acceptable, but the design is just not attractive. Although insurance is cheap, you might want to consider the cost of parts and maintenance. The rate of failure on my own car has fortunately been quite low after 67k miles, but the cost of repairs and maintenance is definitely higher than most mainstream cars. I'd imagine it would be even higher in Europe, due to lower parts availability. Problems to look out for include timing chain failure on the 3.6 engine at around 60k miles (keep the oil topped off to avoid this; these cars tend to consume oil), and a drone at certain low speeds emitting from the differential. My warranty covered the replacement of the differential and the repair of an oil leak, but these fixes can be very costly if paid out of pocket.

But other than that, I can't say enough good things about the car. Strong engine (although as you suspect, it does drink a lot of fuel), solid build quality, lovely ride and handling. Kinda reminds me of the W124 E-class. Compared to the 1st-gen Lexus IS, it's handling is less sharp, but ride more serene.

93JC

Mr. Drinkwater wants to eschew the mad-tyte euro-ness of the VeeDub for a beastly barge of a Cadillac CTS?

What is this world coming to?

(My advice: DO EEEEEEEEEEEEET!)

nickdrinkwater

:lol:  Indeed he does.  Not that there's anything wrong with the VDub...

Great advice Vinsanity, got any pictures of your car you could send over?  The problem is I haven't been to see any cars yet and will have to travel to find a CTS.

I'm hoping parts wouldn't be too bad as there are lots of companies here that will sell parts from abroad.  The Cadillac range is sold "officially" here so I guess there is a small demand.

Eye of the Tiger

I know someone selling a CTS-V in Chicago. It's a long drive, but you can make it.  :devil:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

mzziaz

Quote from: 93JC on May 18, 2011, 11:03:24 AM
Mr. Drinkwater wants to eschew the mad-tyte euro-ness of the VeeDub for a beastly barge of a Cadillac CTS?

What is this world coming to?

(My advice: DO EEEEEEEEEEEEET!)

STFU. You bought a Mazda 2 even though you are American - against my strong advice I might add.

:evildude:
Cuore Sportivo

CJ

Quote from: mzziaz on May 18, 2011, 12:39:22 PM
STFU. You bought a Mazda 2 even though you are American - against my strong advice I might add.

Mazda 3.

:evildude:

93JC

ZOOM-ZOOM, SWEDEN. ZOOM-MOTHERFUCKING-ZOOM.

GoCougs

I'd probably pass on the first gen CTS. The second gen however is a stunner. GM really got the proportions right.

As you probably already know the IS300 is just a rebadged JDM Altezza. It's also tiny as others have noted. It's okay but definitely "meh."

Of these generations of cars (~2000 - 2005) I'd go with the G35 or Acura TL. Just better all around cars. Not sure if they're available on the island though...

Vinsanity

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on May 18, 2011, 12:35:26 PM
:lol:  Indeed he does.  Not that there's anything wrong with the VDub...

Great advice Vinsanity, got any pictures of your car you could send over?  The problem is I haven't been to see any cars yet and will have to travel to find a CTS.

I'm hoping parts wouldn't be too bad as there are lots of companies here that will sell parts from abroad.  The Cadillac range is sold "officially" here so I guess there is a small demand.

I'll post pics once I get home tonight.

Just a thought: If you're open to other engine choices, the older 3.2 doesn't have the timing chain problem AFAIK, and it's an Opel design, so hopefully parts will be easier to come by. The 2.8, which I would imagine is more common in Europe than in NA, is a non-turbo version of Saab's V6, I believe, so you might catch a small break there on parts availability. The bottom line, though, is that the only platform mates this car has are other Cadillacs, so expect an ownership experience similar to other cars that are more prolific in other countries outside Europe.

Vinsanity

Quote from: GoCougs on May 18, 2011, 01:11:00 PM
Of these generations of cars (~2000 - 2005) I'd go with the G35 or Acura TL. Just better all around cars. Not sure if they're available on the island though...

Having owned a 2004 TL for a short time, the only things I liked better on the Acura are the interior and the built-in bluetooth kit. Caddy has the advantage on engine ride, and handling. Pretty sure those weren't sold in the UK, anyways.

The G35 is a good car, but doesn't have an obvious advantage over the CTS, IMO, except maybe reliability. My brother's spent more money out-of-pocket on car repairs, but most of his ownership has been out of warranty. Not sure either if these were available in the UK.

TBR

I do not believe that they are.

Pretty sure Infiniti just recently came to the UK, and I don't think Acura has yet.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Atomic

you might be able to get the costlier, outgoing sts cheaper. cadillac is really dealing on the more prestigious sts. the cts is sweet, but can get very expensive w/ awd, navigation and other options. i drove the small lexus and was terribly disappointed by the tight quarters for even the driver, i think i would look at an infiniti "g" or "m" with awd.

68_427

Quote from: Atomic on May 18, 2011, 04:24:37 PM
you might be able to get the costlier, outgoing sts cheaper. cadillac is really dealing on the more prestigious sts. the cts is sweet, but can get very expensive w/ awd, navigation and other options. i drove the small lexus and was terribly disappointed by the tight quarters for even the driver, i think i would look at an infiniti "g" or "m" with awd.

Dunno, the CTS is very cheap compared to other car it's size over there.
'racecar is die'
no

Atomic

Quote from: 68_427 on May 18, 2011, 04:26:01 PM
Dunno, the CTS is very cheap compared to other car it's size over there.
what about resale?

68_427

Quote from: Atomic on May 18, 2011, 05:02:57 PM
what about resale?

The one he's looking at used.  The resale is terrible, is what I meant in my last post.  My Bad.
'racecar is die'
no

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

the Teuton

I've driven plenty of the second gen cars, none of the first gen.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

S204STi

Quote from: omicron on May 18, 2011, 09:35:02 AM
Which is an excellent excuse to kick everyone else out and drive alone.

I dig your logic.

Vinsanity

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on May 18, 2011, 12:35:26 PM
got any pictures of your car you could send over?

Per your request. Note that the rims aren't stock; they're 20" versions of the ones that came on the CTS-V. Also note that the grille is from the CTS-V as well.

S204STi

I've driven that generation, and while the impression is several years old now I don't recall being appalled by it.  It certainly handled much better than an STS or DTS of the same era.

Also, total deja vu moment typing this right now...

Colin

I'd have thought that getting one in the UK is a big risk. Despite all the bold relaunches and ambitious sales projections, I recall that Cadillac sold a heady 24 cars in the UK in 2010 (they'd run out of BLS to dump onto the Enterprise rental fleet!), and I would not be surprised if they give up with the UK (Europe) altogether.  There are indeed very few CTS about, so you have to expect that getting parts for it will almost always require them to be sourced from over the pond, and there will be negligible knowledge about the car here. That said, I believe they are quite tough and reliable. One of my US colleagues had one for many years and she loved it. 

....... that said, I bought an Abarth knowing that there were only 12 dealers in the country, and the nearest one was 90 miles away at the time (a new one has opened within walking distance of the office in Bristol), and it did not bother me. (Yes, I know some of the parts are the same as Fiat so it is not likely to be quite such a problem in years to come).

If you can get a sensible insurance quote, why not try to get a late model Alfa 156 GTA, or even a 2.5 V6? or if slightly smaller will do, a 147GTA.

Mr Cron's suggestion of a first gen Lexus IS300 is also a good one. How about a Passat W8, if you can find one?   

mzziaz

Quote from: 93JC on May 18, 2011, 01:09:07 PM
ZOOM-ZOOM, SWEDEN. ZOOM-MOTHERFUCKING-ZOOM.

Is zoom-zoom a Canadian word for hamster wheel?  :huh:  :lol:
Cuore Sportivo