Edmunds first drive of 2012 Passat: "An unlikely driver's car"

Started by ifcar, May 23, 2011, 09:28:51 AM

2o6

I'm not convinced. The Malibu, Optima, Sonata and Fusion still look better, IMO. The only real competitor to the Passat is the Camry or Accord, and those are hard names to take down.

cawimmer430

So the bloggers on Edmunds are calling this interior "cheap"?  :facepalm:

^Yep, VW needs to improve on that if they want to rival the Camry!^

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ifcar

"The materials look good and every piece is solidly assembled."

Not that you can tell interior quality from a photo anyway, especially if you're paying as little attention to photos as you clearly do to text.

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on May 23, 2011, 11:14:09 AM
"The materials look good and every piece is solidly assembled."

Not that you can tell interior quality from a photo anyway, especially if you're paying as little attention to photos as you clearly do to text.

I said "the bloggers" - the people who are leaving their comments in the comments section of this review. Those are the folks who claim the interior is "cheap", well most of them do.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 23, 2011, 11:15:56 AM
I said "the bloggers" - the people who are leaving their comments in the comments section of this review. Those are the folks who claim the interior is "cheap", well most of them do.

Bloggers are people who publish a blog, not people who write comments on someone else's.

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on May 23, 2011, 11:16:48 AM
Bloggers are people who publish a blog, not people who write comments on someone else's.

You get what I mean though.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

3.0L V6

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 23, 2011, 11:15:56 AM

The "bloggers", based on my observations, rarely have much interesting to say aside from fanboy-ism.  I usually don't bother with the comments section of most sites, as it's mostly just uninformed tripe. Few posts have much thought or effort put into them - I wouldn't be too worried about what they say, as they will never own or drive many of the cars they bash.

The VW looks like a winning piece. If they keep the quality up and price it keenly, VW could take back a good chunk of the mid-size market in the US.

2o6

Even so, the Camry is hardly best in class. Flash lines and slapdash assembly all over the cabin; my brother has a 2011 SE 4CYL and a lot of things are glaringly misaligned.

Call me crazy, but new GM interiors are some of the best out there.....which is funny because in 2005, they were probably the worst.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on May 23, 2011, 11:51:59 AM
The "bloggers", based on my observations, rarely have much interesting to say aside from fanboy-ism.  I usually don't bother with the comments section of most sites, as it's mostly just uninformed tripe. Few posts have much thought or effort put into them - I wouldn't be too worried about what they say, as they will never own or drive many of the cars they bash.

I agree completely.

But you know how the old word-of-mouth saying goes. One person tells five people and those five people each tell other five people and so forth. It doesn't help that these guys are often known as the "car experts" in the circles they frequent.

Still, it's always interesting to read what they say for the hell of it, even though it's usually retarded bullshit.  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

2o6

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 23, 2011, 11:58:09 AM
I agree completely.

But you know how the old word-of-mouth saying goes. One person tells five people and those five people each tell other five people and so forth. It doesn't help that these guys are often known as the "car experts" in the circles they frequent.

Still, it's always interesting to read what they say for the hell of it, even though it's usually retarded bullshit.  :lol:

I don't think they're wrong, though.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on May 23, 2011, 11:59:36 AM
I don't think they're wrong, though.

You seriously think that interior is "cheap"?

What does it need to look high-end? Overrated "Lexus leather"?

www.wimmerfotografie.de

2o6

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 23, 2011, 12:00:11 PM
You seriously think that interior is "cheap"?

What does it need to look high-end? Overrated "Lexus leather"?

Camry and Accord aren't all that hot anymore.

Ford, Chevy, Hyundai/Kia can assemble a better interior for the same price, cheaper in some cases.

Why should I buy a VW?

ifcar

Wimmer, what do you know about that interior except from a photo? First you criticize commenters on other websites for uninformed opinions, and then in the next breath you do the same.

cawimmer430

Quote from: 2o6 on May 23, 2011, 12:01:59 PMFord, Chevy, Hyundai/Kia can assemble a better interior for the same price, cheaper in some cases.

You still think THAT interior is "cheap"?  :mask:

Quote from: 2o6 on May 23, 2011, 12:01:59 PMWhy should I buy a VW?

Maybe because it looks better?

Maybe because it drives better?

Maybe because it has a nicer seating position?

Maybe because it can haul more freight?

Maybe because its more comfortable?

Maybe because the people buying it are loyal VW fans or had a Passat before and loved it?

There are countless reasons. Don't ask me for one. Ask the individuals who bought one or in the process of buying one.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on May 23, 2011, 12:03:11 PM
Wimmer, what do you know about that interior except from a photo? First you criticize commenters on other websites for uninformed opinions, and then in the next breath you do the same.

I have to see it in real life to make my final decision, but in that photo (a press photo where the interior is nicely tweeted up of course) it looks decent. In fact I think the interior will be typical VW: solid and well-made without looking to fancy. And why do people here expect fancy interiors in the first place?  :huh:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

3.0L V6

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 23, 2011, 12:08:40 PM
I have to see it in real life to make my final decision, but in that photo (a press photo where the interior is nicely tweeted up of course) it looks decent. In fact I think the interior will be typical VW: solid and well-made without looking to fancy. And why do people here expect fancy interiors in the first place?  :huh:

'Cause everything else in the market offers a nice interior too. Expectations for quality, power and durability increase as time goes on. It's called 'raising the bar'.

sportyaccordy

Wim I don't get why you take the comments on these articles so seriously

And of all the reasons you said to buy this car, only the last one rings even remotely true. You can't say with authority that the Passat looks/drives/seats/hauls/coddles any more than ALL of its competition... but based on this article, if you want a big car that handles surprisingly well and has a solid interior, this would be one of a few good choices. 2o6 is right... this car is alright, but in no way heads and shoulders above the competition or as unique as its predecessors.

mzziaz

I think it looks really good. Best looker in the (US) segment, methinks.
Cuore Sportivo

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 23, 2011, 12:16:50 PM
Wim I don't get why you take the comments on these articles so seriously

I wouldn't say I take them seriously, but when everyone (it seems) is hating on the new Jetta and Passat, then obviously it is worth checking out why.

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 23, 2011, 12:16:50 PMAnd of all the reasons you said to buy this car, only the last one rings even remotely true. You can't say with authority that the Passat looks/drives/seats/hauls/coddles any more than ALL of its competition... but based on this article, if you want a big car that handles surprisingly well and has a solid interior, this would be one of a few good choices.

Design is subjective, the seating position is subjective etc. There are many subjective aspects here. In terms of payload capacity etc., I am far to lazy to check whether or not the Passat is at an advantage here. It was simply a generalized response.

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 23, 2011, 12:16:50 PM2o6 is right... this car is alright, but in no way heads and shoulders above the competition or as unique as its predecessors.

Have such traits hampered the success of totally forgettable cars like the Toyota Corolla or Camry? Nope.

Often it's the boring (non-risk) cars that sell in doves.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

hotrodalex

Seems like a good replacement for our Mazda6, except for the pitiful engine choices. Why can't VW stick a decent 4 cylinder in it?

68_427

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 23, 2011, 04:22:34 PM
Seems like a good replacement for our Mazda6, except for the pitiful engine choices. Why can't VW stick a decent 4 cylinder in it?

Get the diesel.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

hotrodalex

Quote from: 68_427 on May 23, 2011, 04:24:10 PM
Get the diesel.

I thought about that, but I'm not sure if my mom would want a diesel. Plus, the article seems to say that it has lots of torque, but still isn't all that fast since it only has 140 hp. Guess I'd have to see the 0-60 numbers.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on May 23, 2011, 02:46:38 PM
I wouldn't say I take them seriously, but when everyone (it seems) is hating on the new Jetta and Passat, then obviously it is worth checking out why.

Cmon man be smart. It's a very small group of people who do that.

Design is subjective, the seating position is subjective etc. There are many subjective aspects here. In terms of payload capacity etc., I am far to lazy to check whether or not the Passat is at an advantage here. It was simply a generalized response.
If you're too lazy to check whether all that stuff is true don't post it as such :huh: I have checked, the new Passat doesn't offer much of anything but space over its competition. The old ones at least were somewhat upscale etc.

Have such traits hampered the success of totally forgettable cars like the Toyota Corolla or Camry? Nope.
Yea but the Corolla/Camry have 40 years of brand equity. There are people who have probably bought 10 Corollas in a row w/o ever even considering another car. VW doesn't have that luxury, they have to bring more to the table than the bare minimum.

Often it's the boring (non-risk) cars that sell in doves.
Not necessarily. Hyundai, Ford, and to a degree GM have all turned their sales around by offering cars that are very competitive in many meaningful categories. VW's latest offerings are not.

The new Jetta & Passat are not BAD cars. But they don't offer any OBJECTIVE reason to buy them over the competition. Hyundais for example offer good performance and high fuel economy. The Ford Focus brings an upscale feel to a compact body at a reasonable price (like the Jetta USED TO). Honda Civic/Toyota Corolla are still very reliable & cheap to maintain. Etc. What does Volkswagen have now?

Atomic

it reminds me of the image held by the toyota avalon. nothing exciting to look at, but probably a decent enough vehicle.

2o6

Quote from: 68_427 on May 23, 2011, 04:24:10 PM
Get the diesel.

The diesel looks lame, too. 43MPG isn't all that much anymore. (Especially in the Jetta)

3.0L V6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 23, 2011, 04:42:01 PM
The new Jetta & Passat are not BAD cars. But they don't offer any OBJECTIVE reason to buy them over the competition. Hyundais for example offer good performance and high fuel economy. The Ford Focus brings an upscale feel to a compact body at a reasonable price (like the Jetta USED TO). Honda Civic/Toyota Corolla are still very reliable & cheap to maintain. Etc. What does Volkswagen have now?

To be fair, the new Jetta is now in the top-20 sales list after languishing for years. From the last year, sales have jumped 60%. The cheaper, better priced Jetta seems to be a hit.

The Passat sold 100k units per year until it went too far upmarket and priced itself out of the mass market.

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 23, 2011, 04:42:01 PM
The new Jetta & Passat are not BAD cars. But they don't offer any OBJECTIVE reason to buy them over the competition. Hyundais for example offer good performance and high fuel economy.

Both of us are not the target market for this car. We might not understand what it so compelling about it but I am sure it has its merits and strong points.

If I lived in the US and had perhaps a family, I'd want a nice, comfortable family car that drives well, is safe and also looks good. I'm sure every car in this class has these capabilities, but styling is subjective. And in this class the only cars that look good to me are the new Passat and the aging Honda Accord. Everything else looks dull (Camry) or terrifying (Sonata). The Kia Optima is also bland.

Of course, if I really went after my heart I'd buy an early classic car like a 1981 Ford LTD.  :wub:

Quote from: sportyaccordy on May 23, 2011, 04:42:01 PMWhat does Volkswagen have now?

A large fan base of loyal owners who appreciate the driving experience perhaps? By most accounts the Camry, Accord, Sonata etc. are dull to drive - not that this matters to literally 99% of buyers. VWs have traditionally had this mystical "German car feel" and apparently still do. I guess for some people that is worth paying for.

Why do people buy Audis, BMWs or MBs in the US when a Lexus is cheaper and has more standard features? People aren't objective. Many folks buy cars based on emotional appeal - such as style, or brand loyalty etc.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

I really dislike the way this and the new Jetta look. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.