2012 ZR1 with pilot cup tires takes on the Ring

Started by 565, June 11, 2011, 08:57:45 AM

Schadenfreude

Quote from: the Teuton on August 10, 2011, 11:27:24 PM
Rumor has it (none of this came from work) that the XTS will have a 3.6 liter engine and a plug-in option for the upgrade engine. The ATS is likely going to have a base turbo Ecotec and an up engine of the 3.6. No one's even mentioned the V yet, but I'm going to bet (me, personally) it's going to have the turbo 3.6 or a new powerplant for the V model.

It's all speculation, but it's likely the XTS will not have a V8 option at this point.

The XTS can fit a V8, but it's unlikely that it will have one.  However, there is another version of the 3.6 that's on the table for that car for those of you who want more power.

It's undecided as of right now whether or not the XTS will get a V-series model. (After all, it is supposed to be a partial replacement for a DTS)

68_427

I don't doubt a performance version, given the wheels/brakes the test cars have been rolling around on.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Schadenfreude

Quote from: the Teuton on August 11, 2011, 12:21:54 AM
The Gen V is dropping to 5.5 liters from 6.2. It's going to be one powerhouse of a motor, though. I wouldn't be surprised to see a turbo/supercharged version for both the Z06 and ZR1 models if they come out.

But I really have no clue about the Corvette. None at all. I'm not even going to pretend I do other than the engine size. It may even get a V6.

No V6.  Corvette team is trying to get the car on a diet. Engine displacement you mentioned is close; might be slightly smaller or larger though. The Z06/ZR1 won't come until a couple of years(at the earliest) after the C7 is debuted, too soon to be wondering what the engine choices may or may not be.

In terms of the interior: some of the renderings look fantastic, but as with anything, looks are just that: looks.  Fit and finish, and material quality are far more important.  And with the class of car the Corvette is competing with, it's extremely important that the Corvette has no compromises or mistakes made with it's interior. Zero.

Schadenfreude

Quote from: 68_427 on August 11, 2011, 11:07:18 PM
I don't doubt a performance version, given the wheels/brakes the test cars have been rolling around on.

Some of the parts rolling around on the test mules are for another Cadillac that's going to be slotted above the XTS... :devil: :lol:

68_427

Nice, however I hope the flagship car doesn't have just any old Gen V engine.
'racecar is die'
no

S204STi

Schadenfreude

Quote from: 68_427 on August 11, 2011, 11:11:52 PM
Nice, however I hope the flagship car doesn't have just any old Gen V engine.

As of right now it doesnt. It'll have a V6, and if the engineers have their way, the V8 that was going to be used in vehicles to replace the Northstar before it was shelved.  :rage:

Schadenfreude

Quote from: R-inge on August 11, 2011, 11:12:12 PM
Will the V8 continue on with OHV tech?

The 5.5 is supposed to be; direct injection for starters with other things learned from the Corvette racing team.

the Teuton

Schadenfreude, I think I have something to PM you, but I am not sure how to do it. I heard something from one of our senior writers that may or may not concern your knowing.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

68_427

Quote from: the Teuton on August 11, 2011, 11:18:13 PM
Schadenfreude, I think I have something to PM you, but I am not sure how to do it. I heard something from one of our senior writers that may or may not concern your knowing.

Now is not the time to be secretive.
'racecar is die'
no

Schadenfreude

Quote from: 68_427 on August 11, 2011, 11:07:18 PM

And in regards to your ZL1 question: are you referring to the flywheel horsepower or the amount it puts on the pavement?

the Teuton

PS I thought Caddy said that every car would have a V or a Platinum model but not necessarily both.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

S204STi

Quote from: Schadenfreude on August 11, 2011, 11:17:59 PM
The 5.5 is supposed to be; direct injection for starters with other things learned from the Corvette racing team.

Cool.  It seems like a mightly little engine so I'm cool with that.

Schadenfreude

Quote from: the Teuton on August 11, 2011, 11:18:13 PM

Go ahead and shoot me a message. I'll see if I'm able to assist you.

the Teuton

Quote from: 68_427 on August 11, 2011, 11:19:03 PM
Now is not the time to be secretive.

Dude, my job is shrouded in secrecy. I wish it weren't, but I want to work where I work for a long, long time.

68_427

Quote from: Schadenfreude on August 11, 2011, 11:19:46 PM
And in regards to your ZL1 question: are you referring to the flywheel horsepower or the amount it puts on the pavement?

The official number, as in the number they'll advertise.
'racecar is die'
no

Schadenfreude

Quote from: the Teuton on August 11, 2011, 11:19:52 PM
PS I thought Caddy said that every car would have a V or a Platinum model but not necessarily both.

Correct. But in the case of the XTS, if you do a Platinum model, you may end up with a model that not many people would purchase (and may possibly be cannibalized by upper level models of the LaCrosse), and performance buyers may take issue with a V-series model since it's FWD/AWD.

68_427

Quote from: the Teuton on August 11, 2011, 11:23:27 PM
Dude, my job is shrouded in secrecy. I wish it weren't, but I want to work where I work for a long, long time.

Doesn't sound fun.  You need a job like mine.  I can say wtf I want.
'racecar is die'
no

68_427

Quote from: Schadenfreude on August 11, 2011, 11:26:10 PM
Correct. But in the case of the XTS, if you do a Platinum model, you may end up with a model that not many people would purchase (and may possibly be cannibalized by upper level models of the LaCrosse), and performance buyers may take issue with a V-series model since it's FWD/AWD.

I thought the platinum model did fairly well with the DTS, and that thing was ~$60K.
'racecar is die'
no

Schadenfreude

Quote from: 68_427 on August 11, 2011, 11:26:25 PM

Second coming of Howard Stern?  :lol:

the Teuton

Quote from: 68_427 on August 11, 2011, 11:26:25 PM

Oh, I can say whatever I want. I just can't post some stuff on the internet. Like I said, I'm still hoping I get a beat with Porsche.

Schadenfreude

Quote from: 68_427 on August 11, 2011, 11:27:25 PM
I thought the platinum model did fairly well with the DTS, and that thing was ~$60K.

It was good considering the fact that most of the tooling for the car was already paid for.

the Teuton

Quote from: Schadenfreude on August 11, 2011, 11:26:10 PM

With a V, as much as I think making a Cadillac car with the powertrain from the OPC Insignia, 325 hp really isn't enough for a car that size. It would legitimately need 400 hp at the very least, and then you get into all sorts of issues with what's the point of the car, and it would still be overshadowed by the CTS and everything else. It'd have a turbo 6 and a transverse drivetrain instead of a honkin' V8. Not worth it.

You need to have a value proposition for a Platinum in that case. What more can Cadillac throw into it to make it worth $60k? Not much.

68_427

Quote from: the Teuton on August 11, 2011, 11:31:46 PM
With a V, as much as I think making a Cadillac car with the powertrain from the OPC Insignia, 325 hp really isn't enough for a car that size. It would legitimately need 400 hp at the very least, and then you get into all sorts of issues with what's the point of the car, and it would still be overshadowed by the CTS and everything else. It'd have a turbo 6 and a transverse drivetrain instead of a honkin' V8. Not worth it.

You need to have a value proposition for a Platinum in that case. What more can Cadillac throw into it to make it worth $60k? Not much.

That's what the other 3.6L is for.  ;)

You don't think GM is going to let Ford's Ecoboost play alone do you?
'racecar is die'
no

Schadenfreude

Quote from: the Teuton on August 11, 2011, 11:31:46 PM

And lets be honest, for $60k, which would you rather have? A CTS-V, or an XTS Platinum? Aside from size differences, what would you rather have?

One other thing; if they make a CTS Platinum, there would be absolutely no need for an XTS version whatsoever.

the Teuton

The next CTS is essentially growing into what the STS should have been, so I'm still not sure I see a point with the XTS... :huh:

68_427

Quote from: Schadenfreude on August 11, 2011, 11:36:44 PM
And lets be honest, for $60k, which would you rather have? A CTS-V, or an XTS Platinum? Aside from size differences, what would you rather have?

One other thing; if they make a CTS Platinum, there would be absolutely no need for an XTS version whatsoever.

I know right now it'd be a sonic blue CTS-V without question, but in the future it'd depend on my current situation and I can think of situations where I'd rather have the XTS Platinum.
'racecar is die'
no

68_427

Quote from: the Teuton on August 11, 2011, 11:38:17 PM
The next CTS is essentially growing into what the STS should have been, so I'm still not sure I see a point with the XTS... :huh:

There are still people that want a DTS type Cadillac, even if we find it hard to understand.  Honestly for the XTS to be successful I don't think it can start higher than $45K, and at that price it better have tons of equipment and comfort features.
'racecar is die'
no

the Teuton

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/30/motor-trend-gets-dirty-with-the-cadillac-cts-v-sportwagon/

We have this same wagon in our longterm fleet right now, and it makes me weak in the knees every time I see it.

68_427

Quote from: the Teuton on August 11, 2011, 11:43:07 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/30/motor-trend-gets-dirty-with-the-cadillac-cts-v-sportwagon/

We have this same wagon in our longterm fleet right now, and it makes me weak in the knees every time I see it.

Needs to be Sonic Blue with matching interior.  Hottest combo on the earth for any Cadillac.
'racecar is die'
no