Suzuki Aerio Base
0 (0%)
Suzuki Forenza Base
0 (0%)
Toyota Corolla LE
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 15

ifcar

Please post as much of your final order as you can think of, post why you placed your top and bottom choices (and any others you feel an explanation could be useful for) and as much of the rest of your order as you can. (Without this participation, we'd be likely to see only several pages of "Mazda3" and "what he said" posts.) I had to eliminate the Chevrolet Aveo LT, Mitsubishi Lancer ES, the Saturn Ion 2 2.2-liter, and the Nissan Sentra 1.8S from the poll because of a poll-answer limit (and doubted anyone would actually be voting for them), but please include them in your lists. Be prepared to defend your answers.

And BTW, I have info on prices and options for those cars if that would effect your decision, but I'm not going to type the info for 15 cars.

Happy voting!  :rockon:

ifcar

My personal order:
1. Ford Focus (Inexpensive, roomy, and fun to drive)
2. Suzuki Aerio
3. Kia Rio
4. Kia Spectra
5. Mazda3
6. Hyundai Elantra
7. Toyota Corolla
8. Chevrolet Aveo
9. Honda Civic
10. Mitsubishi Lancer
11. Suzuki Forenza
12. Saturn Ion 2.4
13. Saturn Ion 2.2
14. Chevrolet Cobalt
15. Nissan Sentra (Cramped inside, poor reliability history, not inexpensive enough)

TBR

1. Chevrolet Cobalt- Great engine with good power, very important for a slushy econobox. I also like the interior and exterior styling and have heard that it handles pretty well.

2. Ford Focus- If we were talking the ST I would definitely have voted for this one, but the 2.0l forces me to put it in second. The handling is excellent and the exterior styling isn't ugly...

3. Mazda3 - Pretty much the same as the Focus, but more expensive

4. Toyota Corolla- Can't argue with 38 mpg. The interior is also pretty nice and it has good resale value. Not a car I would buy, but not one I would hesitate to recommened either.

5. Hyundai Elantra
6. Kia Spectra
7. Suzuki Aero
8. Saturn Ion
9. Honda Civic (I assume we are talking about the current model and not the 2006)
10. Suzuki Forenza
11. Kia Rio

ifcar

I assume you used the 05 Civic and Rio? Read the thread title. ;)

And the Cobalt? Power is nice, but others have it too. Can't tell you what to think about styling, but I can warn you that the Cobalt is rather expensive (not Civic/Corolla expensive, but not cheap).

Raza

I honestly couldn't see myself buying any of those cars with an automatic.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TBR

I've yet to see a review of either one of those cars so I can't really make a judgement on them. But, at least the Rio probably would move much, it is still a sub-$10000 car IIRC.

And, the Corolla is actually a pretty good deal, especially considering its resale value. But, I have to admit I have never payed to much attention to econocar prices.

ifcar

QuoteI've yet to see a review of either one of those cars so I can't really make a judgement on them. But, at least the Rio probably would move much, it is still a sub-$10000 car IIRC.

That'll change within the next week. :P

And, the Corolla is actually a pretty good deal, especially considering its resale value. But, I have to admit I have never payed to much attention to econocar prices.

I thought you didn't believe in resale value? <_<

New vs. other new cars, it really isn't a very good deal except at the end of each model year.

TBR

When did I say that? I don't think it is reasonable to use it as determining what is the best value simply because then cars like the Mercedes-Benz E-class and BMW 3-series would have to be considered good values due to their exemplary resale value. That said, it is an important consideration when your buying, especially if you're adding a vehicle to your fleet and not replacing one (as I am trying to convince my father to do now...)

ifcar

For some people, anyway. I run cars into the ground, they're all worth about the same when I finish with them. How long would you theoretically keep such a car?

TBR

It depends on how much more he starts driving when we move, but probably 5 years. I am going to try to get him to look at the Altima and Accord (I doubt he would even consider a Camry and the domestics have horrible resale value).

ifcar

I mean your theoretical Cobalt. ;)

The other car search will deserve its own thread in due time.  

TBR

Hopefully ;) And, I would never buy any of the cars on the poll (and not just because of they are autos), but if I was to do so it would be until I could afford something better. That might mean two years, that might mean 20. Either way, due to my inherited cheapness I will likely drive cars into the ground.

ifcar

So resale value shouldn't be a concern for you either.  

TBR

No, not really. I see no reason to buy a new car every 3 years like some do. However, I wish I could convince my parents to do so ;)

ifcar

thewizard16

I voted Mazda3. I like the Corolla a lot, it has decent power, I rather like the way it drives, the interior is nice, and the rear seat wasn't too bad. However, it's just not a car I can see myself driving on a daily basis. Not my look, I guess. I think the 3 would fit me better. I don't like the Focus. It may be a very good car, but it just doesn't appeal to me. The others on the list are just basic cars, I have no real feelings on them one way or another.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

cawimmer430

Honda Civic DX. I know a secret how to make them quicker.  :praise:  
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raghavan

1.Civic because it looks cool
2.Mazda 3 i
3.Focus

ifcar

QuoteHonda Civic DX. I know a secret how to make them quicker.  :praise:
Right, just don't turn on the a/c.

Oh, wait. You don't even have a choice.  :P  

280Z Turbo

Probably the Civic, 3, or Focus.

They all look pretty silly, but from what I've seen they're high quality cars that would probably be somewhat fun to drive.

SJ_GTI

QuoteHonda Civic DX. I know a secret how to make them quicker.  :praise:
Type R stickers!  :lol:  

ifcar

I knew what he meant. Just had to get in my daily dose of Honda DX criticism. ;)

Raza

The aircon thing is totally true, though.  My friend has a Civic coupe (EX or LX, something like that) and he said that the aircon was killing him.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

ifcar

QuoteThe aircon thing is totally true, though.  My friend has a Civic coupe (EX or LX, something like that) and he said that the aircon was killing him.
Honda DX models don't offer air conditioning, my point all along.  

Raza

QuoteThe aircon thing is totally true, though.  My friend has a Civic coupe (EX or LX, something like that) and he said that the aircon was killing him.
My oh my.  You certainly got me there.  

Though I never claimed to be an expert on the Honda Civic.

:P  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Type R stickers!  :lol:
Type R stickerZ!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

QuoteThe aircon thing is totally true, though.  My friend has a Civic coupe (EX or LX, something like that) and he said that the aircon was killing him.
My oh my.  You certainly got me there.  

Though I never claimed to be an expert on the Honda Civic.

:P
I did say " Right, just don't turn on the a/c [to get extra power]. Oh, wait. You don't even have a choice."

I thought that made it clear enough.  <_<  

Raza

I only saw what SJZ3 quoted, actually:

"Right, just don't turn on the a/c."

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

cawimmer430

Oh, wait. You don't even have a choice.  :P
Nah, I was thinking more along the lines of STICKERZ... :praise:  
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie