A couple of "How do I fix this?" questions

Started by Morris Minor, June 20, 2011, 08:36:53 AM

Morris Minor

These are both issues with the Scion tC.

First. The car has stinky air conditioning syndrome. It smells pretty dire for the first few minutes after switching on the blower fan (either with A/C on or off). I had this issue on another car & tried to cure it by spraying Lysol through the intake vent at the base of the windshield. It only seemed to be marginally effective.  Does anyone have suggestions?

Second: There is a standard-issue spoiler on the trunk lid & it's coming unglued. It looks like it was put on with some kind of mastic-like adhesive that, after five years, is giving way. There is no mechanical fastening that I can see.  Has anyone come across an adhesive that would do the trick here? I'm going to have to clean up the old stuff first obviously.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

3.0L V6

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 20, 2011, 08:36:53 AM
First. The car has stinky air conditioning syndrome. It smells pretty dire for the first few minutes after switching on the blower fan (either with A/C on or off). I had this issue on another car & tried to cure it by spraying Lysol through the intake vent at the base of the windshield. It only seemed to be marginally effective.  Does anyone have suggestions?

Not really a fix per se, but if you turn off the A/C a few blocks before arriving home and let warm air circulate through the system, you can eliminate some of the condensation that provides a lovely growth medium for bacteria in the system.

shp4man

There is a treatment available that kills the mold in the evaporator case that causes the smell. Maybe try the Toyota dealer service dept.- call and ask.

Byteme

Go to the parts store and buy BG Fridgifresh.  Follow the instructions  See:  http://www.bgprod.com/products/climatecontrol.html
Also, make sure your AC condesate drain(s) aren't clogged. 

If it's just an adhesive you might try the stuff the stick emblems and badges on with.  It's in a roll.  Try a store that specializes automotive finishes and body shop supplies.  They'll have it. or can recomment what the pro's use.

Morris Minor

I removed the spoiler (used some 1mm nylon cord left over from my sailing days) as a saw to get through the old stuff. I cleaned it up with bug & tar remover, then used some Scotch Outdoor mounting tape (the 1in stuff with the red backing) to stick it back on again. It seems very, very solid; the stuff is awesome. Time will tell.

Byteme

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 20, 2011, 07:17:54 PM
I removed the spoiler (used some 1mm nylon cord left over from my sailing days) as a saw to get through the old stuff. I cleaned it up with bug & tar remover, then used some Scotch Outdoor mounting tape (the 1in stuff with the red backing) to stick it back on again. It seems very, very solid; the stuff is awesome. Time will tell.

I've used that as well. I think it's the same stuff I was mentioning, just different labeling.  

BTW, dental floss works well to cut through that stuff.   

Morris Minor

Quote from: EtypeJohn on June 21, 2011, 06:57:29 AM
I've used that as well. I think it's the same stuff I was mentioning, just different labeling. 

BTW, dental floss works well to cut through that stuff.   

I did try using dental floss, but it kept snapping. I've seen it recommended though for "de-badging" cars.

[obligatory joke about what the fuck is a Brit doing with dental floss in the house].

Byteme

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 22, 2011, 07:41:22 AM
I did try using dental floss, but it kept snapping. I've seen it recommended though for "de-badging" cars.

[obligatory joke about what the fuck is a Brit doing with dental floss in the house].

Oc ocurse you don't need it now, but I'd think the plastic coated steel leader used in salt water fishing would also work. 

shp4man

They make adhesive remover for trim. It may only be available to shops.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on June 22, 2011, 03:57:45 PM
They make adhesive remover for trim. It may only be available to shops.

They sell that stuff at almost every parts store.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Secret Chimp

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

S204STi

Quote from: shp4man on June 20, 2011, 09:52:17 AM
There is a treatment available that kills the mold in the evaporator case that causes the smell. Maybe try the Toyota dealer service dept.- call and ask.

+1.  GM had this stuff called Cooler Coil Coating which prevented mildew and such.  Also we had a kit we could installed called an Afterblow Module which would run the hvac fan for a few minutes on low level even after you took the key out in order to keep things dry in there.

FWIW really common in humid, warm climates.

Also, if you have a cabin air filter you might want to replace that as it may be contributing to the odor.

S204STi

Quote from: Morris Minor on June 22, 2011, 07:41:22 AM

LOL

Chimp is right though, you just need a hair dryer, goo gone, an old credit car, and a lot of time and patience.  You may also want a bottle of mild scratch remover/polish and a microfiber cloth when you're done.

Morris Minor

I did replace the cabin air fiter. The old one was almost completely clogged. This does seem to have improved things.