2 seater in a 2 car family household?

Started by sportyaccordy, June 23, 2011, 12:44:49 PM

hotrodalex

Quote from: thecarnut on June 24, 2011, 07:37:23 PM
My only comment originally was that I wouldn't let my wife sell my car when we get married just because she doesn't like it. Unfortunately I know some people like that too and it kinda pisses me off. I kind of think that's what MrH was implying as well. I don't know how I got roped into this other bullshit.

:hesaid:

SVT666

I grew up in the back seat of a Chrysler Cordoba and an extended cab pickup.  But we also didn't have car seats...oh and once I started growing it was also hell riding in the back seat of those things. 

Vinsanity

Quote from: thecarnut on June 24, 2011, 07:38:44 PM
I'm banking on my lack of social skills to never get married in the first place. :devil: :lol:

I'm hoping to land a D.I.N.K. deal (dual income no kids). I managed to connect with a woman my age who isn't interested in having kids, so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping this works out.

Laconian

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 25, 2011, 12:45:02 AM
I'm hoping to land a D.I.N.K. deal (dual income no kids). I managed to connect with a woman my age who isn't interested in having kids, so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping this works out.
Yeah, and in a few years the bio clock will start ticking and she'll go completely baby crazy...
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Onslaught

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 25, 2011, 12:45:02 AM
I'm not far from what you want. But let me ask you this. If you don't want kids then why would you put a ring on it in the first place? Just keep all your money and things for you.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Onslaught on June 25, 2011, 05:37:53 AM
I'm not far from what you want. But let me ask you this. If you don't want kids then why would you put a ring on it in the first place? Just keep all your money and things for you.
Are you a card carrying member of MGTOW?

Vinsanity

Quote from: Laconian on June 25, 2011, 12:58:37 AM
Yeah, and in a few years the bio clock will start ticking and she'll go completely baby crazy...

haha, might as well make the best of those last few years, then

Quote from: Onslaught on June 25, 2011, 05:37:53 AM

A few reasons: I'm getting tired of the pursuit. I can't realistically count on having the charm and sophistication of The Most Interesting Man in the World to attract younger attractive women when I'm older. And I don't want to be that creepy old guy in the club trying to pick up girls. Sleeping with the same woman for the rest of your life is preferable to no one at all.

Onslaught

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 25, 2011, 09:13:30 AM
haha, might as well make the best of those last few years, then

A few reasons: I'm getting tired of the pursuit. I can't realistically count on having the charm and sophistication of The Most Interesting Man in the World to attract younger attractive women when I'm older. And I don't want to be that creepy old guy in the club trying to pick up girls. Sleeping with the same woman for the rest of your life is preferable to no one at all.
Ok, just wondering. I've come to the conclusion that not having a woman around at all wouldn't kill me. I'm not saying that it won't happen. But if it never happens then I'll be fine with just me and my cars and electronics.

Onslaught

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 25, 2011, 08:34:10 AM
Are you a card carrying member of MGTOW?
I had to look that up. But it sounds like people I'd like to go out and drink and smoke cigars with. And then get a lap dance from an Asian girl.

SVT32V

Quote from: Onslaught on June 24, 2011, 06:15:50 PM
To all of you guys with kids I was thinking about this today and perhaps you can help me with it. I'm sure this will sound over the top.

If you're a parent should you want a sports car? What I mean is, as soon as you've got a child then he/she is your number one responsibility in the world. Your life is devoted to taking care of the child and making sure that it's got everything needed in life until it's old enough to go out on his/her own. Or if you're a parent that's worth a shit that's how it is.

So driving around in a Mustang or whatever with a kids seat in the back would be torture. Here you've got a fast car and for the love of God I'd think you wouldn't drive it in a "Sporty" way with your defenseless child in the back seat.  So what's the point of it?

And should you drive it in a "sporty" way even if the kid isn't in it? What if you fuck up and crash and can't work for some time and put food on the table? What if you get killed and the kid won't have a dad. Sure these things could happen to you in a Camry too. Just driving like a grandpa from work and some kid in a Honda with a fart can plows into you. Anything can happen.
But you must admit that driving a sports car/sedan and getting any real feeling of fun out of them means taking it past the point that's normal legal or safe on public roads. And doing so increases the chances of you fucking up.

So you'll just take it out on track days? Well how often do you really do that? Sounds great but most people I know don't do it all that much. And you can still get hurt or worse doing it. Not a very good chance of that but I've seen it happen before.

I'm not sure if I'm suggesting that a parent shouldn't have any kind of life. But I was wondering if these things come to mind after you've had a kid? To tell you the truth us kid-less people shouldn't drive in too much of a fun way too. We could be the ones running into someones family car. But if I go out on a track day and wrap the RX-8 around a tree then it will only hurt my parents and brother. If a dad did it then his kid would be hurt more.

These are good points, to sum up your comments, you shouldn't be F'in around when you have kids in the car or take care of.
Truth be told it takes serious self control to keep it under wraps, then again I see minivan drivers doing some pretty aggressive stuff and they are faster/more powerful than mnay performance cars 10-15 years ago.

Father of the year award right here, racing with kid in car, the kid is not even buckled up, I thought for sure he would get out before the race.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS4YKWu_uKg

Northlands

Quote from: Onslaught on June 24, 2011, 06:15:50 PM
To all of you guys with kids I was thinking about this today and perhaps you can help me with it. I'm sure this will sound over the top.

If you're a parent should you want a sports car? What I mean is, as soon as you've got a child then he/she is your number one responsibility in the world. Your life is devoted to taking care of the child and making sure that it's got everything needed in life until it's old enough to go out on his/her own. Or if you're a parent that's worth a shit that's how it is.

So driving around in a Mustang or whatever with a kids seat in the back would be torture. Here you've got a fast car and for the love of God I'd think you wouldn't drive it in a "Sporty" way with your defenseless child in the back seat.  So what's the point of it?

And should you drive it in a "sporty" way even if the kid isn't in it? What if you fuck up and crash and can't work for some time and put food on the table? What if you get killed and the kid won't have a dad. Sure these things could happen to you in a Camry too. Just driving like a grandpa from work and some kid in a Honda with a fart can plows into you. Anything can happen.
But you must admit that driving a sports car/sedan and getting any real feeling of fun out of them means taking it past the point that's normal legal or safe on public roads. And doing so increases the chances of you fucking up.

So you'll just take it out on track days? Well how often do you really do that? Sounds great but most people I know don't do it all that much. And you can still get hurt or worse doing it. Not a very good chance of that but I've seen it happen before.

I'm not sure if I'm suggesting that a parent shouldn't have any kind of life. But I was wondering if these things come to mind after you've had a kid? To tell you the truth us kid-less people shouldn't drive in too much of a fun way too. We could be the ones running into someones family car. But if I go out on a track day and wrap the RX-8 around a tree then it will only hurt my parents and brother. If a dad did it then his kid would be hurt more.

The kind of car isn't going to matter. You already made a good point. People will drive fast and retarded in pretty much anything.

Being married with children has altered fun activities a little bit, but you do have to have a bit of a life too. I plan on owning a third vehicle purely built around entertainment ( read: not a family mobile/something fast-entertaining ).  I don't do the things I used to do when I was younger, because speeding tickets are just too damned expensive and your personal regard for others increases as you get older.  :lol: However, cutting off a part of your life that you truly love will only make you miserable, and that will translate poorly to the rest of your daily life, and the kids/wife will be worse for it.

I still go for long drives and head to car shows around town. My daughter just comes with me. Hell, maybe when she's older, she'll still be into cars.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

sportyaccordy

Onslaught I get what you're saying, but it's kinda silly considering the cars you yourself own and the statistically low chance of getting in a horrific accident. I can't find the fcking articles but the most deadly new car on the road is the 370Z, with something like 140 deaths per million miles driven. That means if I bought a 370Z I'd have a .014% chance of dying, and that's not considering that I'd probably be a more careful driver than the avg young childless dude racing on public streets.

The shitty logistics of a 2 + 5 seat 2 car household are enough to steer me away... but I don't think fear of death is a legit reason. I mean if that is the driving factor then a new 370Z is a better choice than say, an old Volvo, just cause new safety regs have been proven to be effective thru the continuing decline of MVAs/fatalities.

It seems most people who track cars get cheap things that are effective on smaller + cheaper wheels + tires. That's fine with me, I would love a rattle trap 4th gen Prelude as a track toy.

Not much point to my post I guess, other than the conclusion being once kids come into play you need at least 2 cars w/4 seats. Kind of a bummer but there are a lot of good cheap 3rd car candidates out there.

Raza

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 23, 2011, 12:44:49 PM
No poll, too convoluted

Say you have a family w/2 young kids, and 2 driving + working adults. Could one of those adults have a 2 seat car w/o complicating things? For you guys with families... what's the deal?

I think you could make it work as long as the primary caretaker of the children drives the car with more than one extra seat.  Definitely a bit of a hassle though.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=25136.msg1540536#msg1540536 date=1309206890
I think you could make it work as long as the primary caretaker of the children drives the car with more than one extra seat.  Definitely a bit of a hassle though.
See, that's the thing.  In most households both parents share the duties of parenting.

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on June 28, 2011, 09:29:59 PM
See, that's the thing.  In most households both parents share the duties of parenting.

In dual income households, sure. But if just the dad works then the mom does most of the running around with the kids.

SVT666

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 28, 2011, 09:53:12 PM
In dual income households, sure. But if just the dad works then the mom does most of the running around with the kids.
Most, but not all.

93JC

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

SVT32V

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 28, 2011, 09:53:12 PM

Even then, there are times when the other car ends up with kid duty. Otherwise, the father probably just isn't involved in the kids life

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT32V on June 29, 2011, 10:53:46 AM
Even then, there are times when the other car ends up with kid duty. Otherwise, the father probably just isn't involved in the kids life

You just switch cars. :huh:

My parents did it for 7 years.

SVT32V

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 29, 2011, 11:55:20 AM
You just switch cars. :huh:

My parents did it for 7 years.

Yeah that works, until the instances when there are conflicting engagements at the same time (Kid A in one place Kid B has to be in another place, at the same time).

BTW, I am surprised at the lack of comments of this fellow in the new ZR1 (with the toddler in the car, unfastened at that) racing a GTR from a dig.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS4YKWu_uKg

L. ed foote

Quote from: 93JC on June 28, 2011, 10:30:59 PM
The lesson here is don't have kids.

Would you want some of these 'Spinners breeding? :huh:

:lol:
Member, Self Preservation Society

ChrisV

Quote from: SVT32V on June 29, 2011, 12:16:58 PM
Yeah that works, until the instances when there are conflicting engagements at the same time (Kid A in one place Kid B has to be in another place, at the same time).

And why can't you then take one kid in teh family sedan to the one appointment and the other in the 2 seater? Not like you have to get 4 people in one car at that time.

Trust me, I've done it.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

NomisR

I plan on keeping the 3 cars, but I don't really know what I'll do with my DD yet.  So far from testing, the stroller fits in the RSX, so it's ok.  It doesn't even come close to fitting into the Elise unfortunately...

SVT32V

Quote from: ChrisV on July 29, 2011, 12:09:46 PM

And why can't you then take one kid in teh family sedan to the one appointment and the other in the 2 seater? Not like you have to get 4 people in one car at that time.

Trust me, I've done it.

As long as the airbag can be turned off or it is smart enough to turn itself off with the lower weight of the kid it could be OK and there are no other friends in the mix.

ChrisV

I didn't have an airbag in my 2 seater.

My other solution was to only have one kid.

SVT666

Quote from: ChrisV on August 03, 2011, 07:40:27 AM

Basing the size of your family around the kind of car you want to drive is kinda sad.

ChrisV

Quote from: SVT666 on August 03, 2011, 07:57:44 AM
Basing the size of your family around the kind of car you want to drive is kinda sad.

Removing 90% of who you are so you can spit out more crotchfruit is kinda sad.

See how easy it is to be insulting in response?

SVT666

Quote from: ChrisV on August 03, 2011, 07:59:38 AM
Removing 90% of who you are so you can spit out more crotchfruit is kinda sad.

See how easy it is to be insulting in response?
I wonder how your stepson would feel if he knew you referred to him as crotchfruit and that he gets in the way of you being you.

Tave

Quote from: ChrisV on August 03, 2011, 07:40:27 AM

If you only have one kid, how do you know what it's like to live day-to-day with more than one? :huh:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.