2 seater in a 2 car family household?

Started by sportyaccordy, June 23, 2011, 12:44:49 PM

sportyaccordy

No poll, too convoluted

Say you have a family w/2 young kids, and 2 driving + working adults. Could one of those adults have a 2 seat car w/o complicating things? For you guys with families... what's the deal?

Xer0

I think it can totally happen.

But, there needs to be a trade off.  Obviously the 2 seater will benefit one more than the other so the one that is kind of being shitted on should get something more somewhere else in the relationship.

68_427

It would take some planning, and your SO would have to be able to drive the car when/if you need to use the other one.  

Wait, you don't have kids.  Not much planning then I guess.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

L. ed foote

I have yet to see a family with that sort of setup. When the "mommymobile" is in the shop, a backup is needed. Which is why more often than not I see a minivan paired with a sedan.

If the 2 seater's a project/play/race car, that's a different story. But for shared family duties, a 2 seater simply isn't practical.
Member, Self Preservation Society

Vinsanity

the biggest problem I'd imagine is that most females don't want to bother driving stickshift. And other than a Mercedes SL, having an automatic 2-seater is kinda pointless to me.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: L. ed foote on June 23, 2011, 12:54:59 PM
I have yet to see a family with that sort of setup. When the "mommymobile" is in the shop, a backup is needed.
Damn it, very good point. Scratch that idea. So at best a 3 vehicle home. Aw forget it.

2o6

I dunno. Stickshifts and females are making a comeback. I see a lot of non-stereotypes when I load stuff into people's cars:

Late 50's black woman with a handicap placard - 5MT Saturn Astra 5-door

Late 50's overweight black woman, also with a handicap placard - 5MT Chrysler PT

Mid 40's Older white woman - FWD 5-speed Escape

Early 50's older white woman - FWD 5-speed Sportage

Late 40's older white woman - 5-speed Mazda 3 Hatch, with JDM Axela badges

I sold my neon to a guy who bought it for his wife, and that car was also a 5-speed.

SVT666

I have only ever seen this setup in a 3 car family.  I know I could never make it work because I need to pick up the kids quite a bit.  Also, my wife has already said that it wouldn't be fair that I get a sports car and she gets stuck with the SUV.  In fact, she got downright pissed off at the very suggestion.

Cookie Monster

It's a bad idea... won't work out at all. You will be caught on a day where you need to take more than another passenger and you'll be fucked.

Hell I bitch endlessly about having a 2 seater as a 20 year old college student... add a family to that and no way that'll work out, even with another car.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

SVT666

Quote from: SVT666 on June 23, 2011, 01:24:32 PM
I have only ever seen this setup in a 3 car family.  I know I could never make it work because I need to pick up the kids quite a bit.  Also, my wife has already said that it wouldn't be fair that I get a sports car and she gets stuck with the SUV.  In fact, she got downright pissed off at the very suggestion.
She is only mildly accepting of a Charger R/T because she wants a fun car too.  I tried to tell her it drives like shit and that it only "looks" fun.  She glared at me and said, "Do you think I'm fucking stupid?"

L. ed foote

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 23, 2011, 12:59:42 PM
the biggest problem I'd imagine is that most females don't want to bother driving stickshift. And other than a Mercedes SL, having an automatic 2-seater is kinda pointless to me.

I would wager that most people don't like to drive stickshifts. I would hazard to guess the issue is that family women wouldn't want to drive 2-seaters, be they auto or manuals.

L. ed foote

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 23, 2011, 01:14:17 PM
Damn it, very good point. Scratch that idea. So at best a 3 vehicle home. Aw forget it.

It's not that bad when you think of it. I used to carry 2 cars on my policy, so it's feasible that you can carry another car with another person on the policy.

hotrodalex

Well my future wife will have to put up with me having a 2 seater. The Road will not be going anywhere just because I got married.

(Maybe that can be an excuse to get '63 Impala or something, you know, a family car! :lol: )

Tave

Not quite the same thing, but I know of some 2-car families where the guy drives a single-cab pickup.

And there are 1-car families. Although they probably wouldn't choose that if they have the option, obviously 2 is better than 1.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

L. ed foote

Quote from: SVT666 on June 23, 2011, 01:27:30 PM
She is only mildly accepting of a Charger R/T because she wants a fun car too.  I tried to tell her it drives like shit and that it only "looks" fun.  She glared at me and said, "Do you think I'm fucking stupid?"

And the Charger works, because it's a 4DSD. :praise:

L. ed foote

I plan on going the 2DD, 1 play car route myself, when I tie the knot. Or I just may get a fun DD. With all the relatively cheap speed to be found out there, I don't know if I'll ever go with a project car again, unless it were a track toy.

SVT666

I also tried telling her that her kitchen cost $37,000 and a Charger is less than that.  That didn't go over well either.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 23, 2011, 01:32:33 PM
Well my future wife will have to put up with me having a 2 seater. The Road will not be going anywhere just because I got married.

(Maybe that can be an excuse to get '63 Impala or something, you know, a family car! :lol: )
Same, if I ever get married, Miata isn't going anywhere.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

sportyaccordy

Quote from: thecarnut on June 23, 2011, 01:46:54 PM
Same, if I ever get married, Miata isn't going anywhere.
Quote from: thecarnut on June 23, 2011, 01:25:39 PM
Hell I bitch endlessly about having a 2 seater as a 20 year old college student...
Lol

3 cars could work. Sports car, family car, automatic spare. 3.5 4th gen Maxima.... w/the 6th gen 5AT... and Works Bell paddles... that would be pretty rad.

Are there any fun cheap automatic FWD cars? Volvo maybe?

Byteme

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 23, 2011, 12:44:49 PM
No poll, too convoluted

Say you have a family w/2 young kids, and 2 driving + working adults. Could one of those adults have a 2 seat car w/o complicating things? For you guys with families... what's the deal?

We do it, but we have 5 cars.

The red fleet:
1969 Jaguar E-type
1995 Miata
2006 Mazda3
2007 Mazda6

The green fleet:
1999 Buick Century.

Byteme

Quote from: Vinsanity on June 23, 2011, 12:59:42 PM

My wife won't have an automatic.  She enjoys driving a car with a manual transmission.

Onslaught

Can you do it? I'm sure you could. But will you do it? No, because the wife won't like it in the end.

Just don't have kids and you can have all kinds of nice things.

MrH

I'll have two or three cars before I get married.  I'll always have something fun.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Onslaught

Quote from: MrH on June 23, 2011, 03:39:25 PM
I'll have two or three cars before I get married.  I'll always have something fun.
When you start having kids and the wife wants stuff then a few of those cars will be gone.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Onslaught on June 23, 2011, 03:55:11 PM
When you start having kids and the wife wants stuff then a few of those cars will be gone.
He didn't say he would have em all at the same time. And every husband isn't his wife's bitch. There's a diff between reasonable compromise & total domination I'm not sure you understand

r0tor

This is why you make the sports car an RX-8
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Onslaught

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 23, 2011, 04:15:00 PM
He didn't say he would have em all at the same time. And every husband isn't his wife's bitch. There's a diff between reasonable compromise & total domination I'm not sure you understand
Oh, I "get" it. But you don't see "it" very much these days.

Tave

Quote from: sportyaccordy on June 23, 2011, 04:15:00 PM

making personal sacrifices to ensure the financial stability of your family =! being dominated by a woman

Kids cost a lot of money/effort/time, even when everything goes right. Throw in a few illnesses or emergencies here and there, and it can become astronomical. That's why it's called sacrifice.

"Jimmy needs his booster shots and some new clothes."

"Fuck you Bitch. I do what I want, and I want a Ferrari."
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

MrH

Quote from: Onslaught on June 23, 2011, 03:55:11 PM

Any woman who can't put up with me having two cars, isn't one I want to marry.  Sorry, comes with the territory of dating me.  I have two cars right now :huh:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Tave on June 23, 2011, 06:09:22 PM
making personal sacrifices to ensure the financial stability of your family =! being dominated by a woman

Kids cost a lot of money/effort/time, even when everything goes right. Throw in a few illnesses or emergencies here and there, and it can become astronomical. That's why it's called sacrifice.

"Jimmy needs his booster shots and some new clothes."

"Fuck you Bitch. I do what I want, and I want a Ferrari."
What does this have to do with what I said?

Onslaught suggested that when "the wife" wants something, my wants would go out the window. Obviously sacrifices have to be made... hence the thread.... but like I said there's a difference between that and what I think Onslaught was driving at.