The new 2012 Mercedes Actros

Started by cawimmer430, June 27, 2011, 11:16:33 AM

cawimmer430

Looks awesome.  :mrcool:

Official: Blue Efficiency Power: The new Actros for long-distance haulage is ready to order

High investment in the world?s cleanest truck
Enhanced comfort, handling, and economy
First truck developed consistently in line with Euro VI requirements
Drawbacks of sophisticated exhaust gas treatment system have been more than offset
Diesel consumption cut by seven percent

?Trucks have become and continue to become more and more economical, efficient, safer, and quieter,? says Andreas Renschler, Member of the Daimler AG Board of Management with responsibility for Daimler Trucks and Daimler Buses. ?The Euro VI legislation soon to go into effect in Europe requires us to come up with completely new vehicle concepts. The new Mercedes-Benz Actros enables us to meet the demanding Euro VI limits while at the same time further reducing fuel consumption to such an extent that customers notice it in their pockets. Our customers need to know that it will pay off for them if they invest in environmental protection at an early stage of the game by purchasing a Euro VI vehicle. Governments also clearly have an obligation to offer incentives that will speed up the modernization of truck fleets.?

More here: http://theworldofmbamg.wordpress.com/2011/06/22/official-blue-efficiency-power-the-new-actros-for-long-distance-haulage-is-ready-to-order/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

heelntoe

I like it, I think It looks menacing!

I read that they put in a lot of hours in the wind tunnel for this one!
@heelntoe

2o6

Never understood Europe's penchant for using the cab-over design. Seems like more American style rigs would be easier to make more Aerodynamic.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on June 27, 2011, 07:19:42 PM
Never understood Europe's penchant for using the cab-over design. Seems like more American style rigs would be easier to make more Aerodynamic.

They have stricter overall length regulations.

Also, privately run owner-operator trucks are nearly unheard of in Europe: so very few buying the trucks worry how much it beats up the driver.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Submariner

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 27, 2011, 07:36:10 PM
They have stricter overall length regulations.

Also, privately run owner-operator trucks are nearly unheard of in Europe: so very few buying the trucks worry how much it beats up the driver.

Cab-over that much more uncomfortable?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Submariner on June 27, 2011, 08:03:13 PM

All the ones I've ever been in were horrible. The seats are basically right on top of the front wheels, so every bump and jounce of the suspension is translated directly to your ass. Maybe european roads are smoother overall? Maybe they do something different that makes it better?

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

68_427

Quote from: Submariner on June 27, 2011, 08:03:13 PM

Think of it as sitting over the back axle of a school bus.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

hotrodalex

Quote from: 68_427 on June 27, 2011, 09:02:10 PM
Think of it as sitting over the back axle of a school bus.

So if you go fast enough over a bump you can fly up out of your seat and almost hit your head on the roof?  :rockon:

Tave

Don't they put floaty springs in the driver's seat?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Tave on June 27, 2011, 09:04:29 PM
Don't they put floaty springs in the driver's seat?

Yes, they do. OK, now try to imagine driving your car from a seat that is constantly bouncing up and down by about a foot.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 27, 2011, 09:04:04 PM
So if you go fast enough over a bump you can fly up out of your seat and almost hit your head on the roof?  :rockon:

You don't even have to go fast.

Tave

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 27, 2011, 09:11:12 PM
Yes, they do. OK, now try to imagine driving your car from a seat that is constantly bouncing up and down by about a foot.

Sounds kind of kinky.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Tave on June 27, 2011, 09:13:05 PM
Sounds kind of kinky.

Also, your car is a manual that has to change gears 12 times to get to 60 MPH.

Galaxy

Quote from: 2o6 on June 27, 2011, 07:19:42 PM

I had originally snapped this photo with my phone for a "why do europeans like premium small cars thread,"  but it fits in even better here. This is the main grocery delivery entrence for the grocery store. It is also the main entrance for the parking lot. There is a row of cars behind the truck. I was waiting ~10min while the truck kept going back and forth to get out.

Galaxy

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 27, 2011, 08:15:32 PM
All the ones I've ever been in were horrible. The seats are basically right on top of the front wheels, so every bump and jounce of the suspension is translated directly to your ass. Maybe european roads are smoother overall? Maybe they do something different that makes it better?

Iveco, Scania, MAN, Volvo, and Mercedes-Benz all offer air suspensions for the cabin. If Wikipedia is accurate around 50% of trucks have this optional system installed.

Galaxy

I wonder if MAN will build their concept S?

They claim a 25% reduction in fuel consumption.

Tave

Quote from: Galaxy on June 28, 2011, 05:04:54 AM

I had originally snapped this photo with my phone for a "why do europeans like premium small cars thread,"  but it fits in even better here. This is the main grocery delivery entrence for the grocery store. It is also the main entrance for the parking lot. There is a row of cars behind the truck. I was waiting ~10min while the truck kept going back and forth to get out.

That isn't an unusual situation in the States, either. Just the other day I got stuck waiting for a food truck delivering groceries to our campus cafeteria.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 27, 2011, 09:14:08 PM
Also, your car is a manual that has to change gears 12 times to get to 60 MPH.

Trucks here are limited to a top speed of 80 km/h on all roads including the Autobahn. They can naturally go faster, but because most trucks weigh over 3.5 tons, they're only permitted to drive 80 km/h max.

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

SVT666

Quote from: heelntoe on June 27, 2011, 11:38:32 AM

Not nearly as menacing as this:

Eye of the Tiger

:hesaid:

The best looking truck I've seen.
But Volvos still drive super awesome.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

That's the Exelero of trucks. Wow.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SVT666

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on June 28, 2011, 10:15:41 AM
:hesaid:

The best looking truck I've seen.
But Volvos still drive super awesome.
I love the International.  IMO, that should have been Optimus Prime.

Eye of the Tiger

Lone Star! I see your swartz is as big as mine.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

WookieOnRitalin

Quote from: Galaxy on June 28, 2011, 05:47:56 AM
I wonder if MAN will build their concept S?

They claim a 25% reduction in fuel consumption.

Nice Daft Punk helmet.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

AltinD

Quote from: Galaxy on June 28, 2011, 05:32:46 AM
Iveco, Scania, MAN, Volvo, and Mercedes-Benz all offer air suspensions for the cabin.

Exactly

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Galaxy on June 28, 2011, 05:32:46 AM
Iveco, Scania, MAN, Volvo, and Mercedes-Benz all offer air suspensions for the cabin. If Wikipedia is accurate around 50% of trucks have this optional system installed.

As does nearly every single semi-truck made today. I seriously doubt Wikipedia is accurate: it's probably closer to 80%.

Its not a total solution, it mitigates the problem, but doesn't solve it.

Galaxy

Uhm, Mercedes showed the Actros at the Frankfurt Auto show in a kind of odd way...

:confused:

Anyways the cabin  looks pretty comfy

Source: Auto Motor und Sport

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Atomic

Quote from: heelntoe on June 27, 2011, 11:38:32 AM

I read that they put in a lot of hours in the wind tunnel for this one!

i would sell my house and live in this dramatic and quite elegant and even brutish truck (err bus?)  :winkguy: