Is killing the Panther the right thing to do?

Started by the Teuton, July 02, 2011, 03:00:44 PM

the Teuton

After doing a write-up on Ford's June sales for work, I found out that the Crown Vic was up a whopping 76 percent in the month of June to 5,526 sold while the Town Car remained stagnant in sales at 979 sold. But, it sold more than the 395 MKTs Lincoln is replacing the TC with.

Also, the Ranger is still well outselling the Transit Connect, not like the really compete with one another even though they do.

Is it right to kill such a successful platform in the Panther and compact pickup for that matter when GM is coming out with a new RWD car and midsize truck and Chrysler's LY cars are looking to take over the fleet market?

Also, and interestingly enough, the Transit Connect is kicking ass in the taxi market, but is that enough?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

the Teuton

Also, for reference, the newest Crown Vic picture Ford has on its media website is from 2007...

...just saying...I had to go back a few years to find it.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Cookie Monster

^looks like there's a dead body in the back already.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

ifcar

Crown Victoria sales have been up recently as police departments stock up before they're gone, and Rangers sell because they're stupidly cheap. Ford is presumably trying to retain those same buyers while transitioning them into pricier models, though it will be hard to tell from the stats whether they'll pull it off.

3.0L V6

Quote from: the Teuton on July 02, 2011, 03:00:44 PM
After doing a write-up on Ford's June sales for work, I found out that the Crown Vic was up a whopping 76 percent in the month of June to 5,526 sold while the Town Car remained stagnant in sales at 979 sold. But, it sold more than the 395 MKTs Lincoln is replacing the TC with.

Also, the Ranger is still well outselling the Transit Connect, not like the really compete with one another even though they do.

Is it right to kill such a successful platform in the Panther and compact pickup for that matter when GM is coming out with a new RWD car and midsize truck and Chrysler's LY cars are looking to take over the fleet market?

Also, and interestingly enough, the Transit Connect is kicking ass in the taxi market, but is that enough?

The big questions are: Is Ford making money on each unit sold? Also, does the number sold times profit per car justify the value of investment in updating the car to current crash/emissions/stability control standards? Or standards that are coming in 2012 and beyond? Does the consumer market demand such a vehicle to help underwrite the costs of production? Sales to individuals tend to be much more profitable than fleet orders. Will there be a demand for a large body-on-frame rear-wheel drive car in the future?

Tooling tends to wear out over time - should Ford invest the money in replacing that?. Does it justify running an auto plant vastly under capacity (most plants try to move several hundred thousand vehicles per year)? Does Ford have cars with higher profit margins that cover the same market niche? I'd imagine for a relatively plebeian platform such as this must sell a fair number of units to cover its costs (say >75,000 per year).

Should Ford attempt to compete in the commercial vehicle market when much better vehicles are competing against it? (the Caprice and Charger - both of which have lots of much more profitable retail sales that justify their existence). Hybrids and more fuel efficient front-drive sedans seem to be the mainstay of taxi companies now.

Ford management has probably already asked these questions and come up with the answer.

3.0L V6

Quote from: ifcar on July 02, 2011, 03:19:26 PM
Crown Victoria sales have been up recently as police departments stock up before they're gone, and Rangers sell because they're stupidly cheap. Ford is presumably trying to retain those same buyers while transitioning them into pricier models, though it will be hard to tell from the stats whether they'll pull it off.

I'd imagine they'll have to go somewhere for a cheap pickup. Considering the Colorado/Canyon and body on frame Dakota will be gone soon, and the Nissan and Toyota midsize pickups aren't cheap by any means, I'd imagine they'd go to a full-size V6 pickup. Or to the used market, but I'd imagine Ford doesn't worry too much about those lost sales.

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MX793

Quote from: ifcar on July 02, 2011, 03:19:26 PM

Indeed.  The Crown Vic is no longer even offered to regular consumers.  Joe Schmoe off the street cannot go to the local Ford dealer and purchase a new Crown Vic.  They're only sold to fleet buyers.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

cawimmer430

Quote from: MX793 on July 02, 2011, 04:45:14 PM

Indeed.  The Crown Vic is no longer even offered to regular consumers.  Joe Schmoe off the street cannot go to the local Ford dealer and purchase a new Crown Vic.  They're only sold to fleet buyers.

Looks like I have to become a taxi driver or cop in order to drive one in America!  :lol:

Hopefully one can still buy these used!  :wub:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

2o6

Killing it was the right thing to do. It's archaic and is severely lacking in comparison to the rest of the lineup.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on July 02, 2011, 03:26:42 PM
I'd imagine they'll have to go somewhere for a cheap pickup. Considering the Colorado/Canyon and body on frame Dakota will be gone soon, and the Nissan and Toyota midsize pickups aren't cheap by any means, I'd imagine they'd go to a full-size V6 pickup. Or to the used market, but I'd imagine Ford doesn't worry too much about those lost sales.

I don't think there's much of a market for a pickup truck that can't tow or haul a lot.

3.0L V6

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 02, 2011, 09:16:38 PM
I don't think there's much of a market for a pickup truck that can't tow or haul a lot.

Indeed.

The base Ford F-150 can tow 5,000lbs. Also, the full-size trucks have bigger beds and more towing capacity.

Mostly I've seen Rangers doing light-duty (usually dirty) jobs. I'd imagine the customer's main problem would be that the F-150s and Silverados, even in V6 form, have far too much capability for what they need. Even the midsize trucks have far more capability than most Rangers.

Rupert

I don't want a big truck because they're big. The Ranger is the perfect size.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MX793

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on July 02, 2011, 09:42:42 PM
Indeed.

The base Ford F-150 can tow 5,000lbs. Also, the full-size trucks have bigger beds and more towing capacity.

Mostly I've seen Rangers doing light-duty (usually dirty) jobs. I'd imagine the customer's main problem would be that the F-150s and Silverados, even in V6 form, have far too much capability for what they need. Even the midsize trucks have far more capability than most Rangers.

Seems like I see a lot of Rangers (and Colorados) used as delivery vehicles and runabouts for places like NAPA or AutoZone.  They're a perfect vehicle for that sort of thing, although a Transit Connect would work well too (especially since you wouldn't need to buy a cap for the bed).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

ifcar

Quote from: MX793 on July 03, 2011, 06:06:50 AM
Seems like I see a lot of Rangers (and Colorados) used as delivery vehicles and runabouts for places like NAPA or AutoZone.  They're a perfect vehicle for that sort of thing, although a Transit Connect would work well too (especially since you wouldn't need to buy a cap for the bed).

The pickups are cheaper, of course, though Ford would definitely want those customers to just move along to the Transit Connect.

3.0L V6

Quote from: the Teuton on July 02, 2011, 03:00:44 PM

Isn't the Town Car being replaced with the MKS? FWIW, the MKS had 1,214 sales in June.

Edit: Never mind - I saw the MKT limousine package.

ifcar

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on July 03, 2011, 08:33:23 AM
Isn't the Town Car being replaced with the MKS? FWIW, the MKS had 1,214 sales in June.

Town Car is ahead YTD.

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: 3.0L V6 on July 03, 2011, 08:33:23 AM

The MKT limo looks stupid.  I figure Cadillac and maybe Chrysler will be ahead of them now. 

the Teuton

I don't see what would be so difficult with introducing the Falcon platform to takeover CV and TC duties and the Euro Ranger coming in to take over as a Tacoma fighter.

Ford just replaced a Focus that had an average transaction price of $12-14k with a Fiesta that has an average transaction of $17k and a Focus that's even higher, and both are doing remarkably well. They show that if you have a product people want, they'll pay a little higher prices for it.

the Teuton

3.0L V6

Quote from: the Teuton on July 03, 2011, 12:26:11 PM
I don't see what would be so difficult with introducing the Falcon platform to takeover CV and TC duties and the Euro Ranger coming in to take over as a Tacoma fighter.

Ford just replaced a Focus that had an average transaction price of $12-14k with a Fiesta that has an average transaction of $17k and a Focus that's even higher, and both are doing remarkably well. They show that if you have a product people want, they'll pay a little higher prices for it.

The Falcon platform is right hand drive only sadly, so it can't be exported to LHD markets. It has to be totally redesigned to be exported.

The Ranger might come here from South Africa if all goes well. I'd imagine that if it was a success, Ford might set up a North American production line.

SVT666

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 02, 2011, 09:16:38 PM
Yeah.  That's why it sells so well right?

SVT666

Quote from: Rupert on July 02, 2011, 10:09:36 PM
I have always felt this way.  I love the Ranger.  I want one with a 3" lift kit and 33" General Grabbers.  :drool:

2o6

Quote from: SVT666 on July 04, 2011, 10:11:52 PM

It's dirt cheap and the only car in it's class.

Quote from: the Teuton on July 03, 2011, 12:26:11 PM

I wouldn't be suprised if Ford did it very soon. Taurus has a limited lifespan on such an old platform, and the current Falcon is old, too.

SVT666

Quote from: 2o6 on July 04, 2011, 10:14:03 PM
It's dirt cheap and the only car in it's class.

The Colorado is in the same class.  People obviously still want the Ranger, so why cancel it?

280Z Turbo

Quote from: SVT666 on July 04, 2011, 10:11:52 PM

Does it? I didn't even know it was still on sale.

Most of the Rangers I see are Oxford White automatic work trucks.

SVT666

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 04, 2011, 10:48:56 PM
Does it? I didn't even know it was still on sale.

Most of the Rangers I see are Oxford White automatic work trucks.
Rangers still sell very well.

GoCougs

Nah, there ain't much $$$ left in 20-year-old products...

Onslaught

Quote from: Rupert on July 02, 2011, 10:09:36 PM
I agree. I need a little truck to do things around the house in or use to drive to work and bring tools and stuff home with me. But not pull boats or things like you need a big truck for.

The only thing left out like that is a Ranger, so I can't have a little truck.