2012 Toyota Camry Leaked!

Started by Atomic, July 04, 2011, 11:56:03 AM

Atomic

Atomic

notice the colors? red, white and blue! hmm...

the cars from what i can tell look sleeker. i like the sportier front, overall shape and especially the rear taillights and c-pillar.

the Teuton

It took a little over a week for that to surface. I guess when you publicize that everyone and their brother is going to a Toyota dealer convention, it's sure to break out at some point.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

I hope the ratio is just off on that, because if it's not the car looks pretty stumpy. The rear looks nice.

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on July 04, 2011, 12:01:29 PM
I hope the ratio is just off on that, because if it's not the car looks pretty stumpy. The rear looks nice.

I got the same impression. It's taller, narrower, and shorter looking -- kind of like the 2013 Malibu.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Atomic

Quote from: the Teuton on July 04, 2011, 12:11:47 PM
I got the same impression. It's taller, narrower, and shorter looking -- kind of like the 2013 Malibu.
yes. i can see that, too. also, the rear half kind of resembles the previous generation camry. i think that not unlike the 2013 chevrolet malibu, it will look even better in person -- as i learned at the nyc auto show.

68_427

Kinda looks like a bigger Corolla.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

Looks like the current one. I predict a similar change as to how the did the "new" Corolla. Dumpier, and blander while being worse.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on July 04, 2011, 12:23:00 PM
Looks like the current one. I predict a similar change as to how the did the "new" Corolla. Dumpier, and blander while being worse.

I don't think they can afford to make it worse in the face of what looks to be some serious competition from the Koreans especially.

Toyota isn't VW. And even the Passat's not that bad -- it's just bad because we were all used to seeing Audi levels of quality at VW prices, which might've been unrealistic.

Atomic

Quote from: ifcar on July 04, 2011, 12:01:29 PM
lol... i first read "radio" instead of "ratio"... i see what you mean, as well. it wasn't the clearest video, but i do think it will look mighty sweet in professional pics and seeing one firsthand. the 2012 honda civic, especially the coupe looks far more stylish (i.e., ratio-wise) in person. cars can look distorted if pics or video are taken at an odd angle, like in the clip.

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on July 04, 2011, 12:24:54 PM
I don't think they can afford to make it worse in the face of what looks to be some serious competition from the Koreans especially.

Toyota isn't VW. And even the Passat's not that bad -- it's just bad because we were all used to seeing Audi levels of quality at VW prices, which might've been unrealistic.

Toyota has a name behind it. VW does not. And even so, the Passat is appreciably worse than the competition but for the same price. Why should I buy a Passat over an Optima? Or Sonata? Or Camry? Or Accord? Or Malibu?

The Koreans have great products. The Japanese still have their name, at least for right now. GM has decided to play ball; their new products are top notch. Ford's cars are also good too.

I just don't see people flocking to buy the Passat, unless they really want something German.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on July 04, 2011, 12:29:18 PM
Toyota has a name behind it. VW does not. And even so, the Passat is appreciably worse than the competition but for the same price. Why should I buy a Passat over an Optima? Or Sonata? Or Camry? Or Accord? Or Malibu?

The Koreans have great products. The Japanese still have their name, at least for right now. GM has decided to play ball; their new products are top notch. Ford's cars are also good too.

I just don't see people flocking to buy the Passat, unless they really want something German.

The reviews I've seen have said the Passat has a best-in-class balance of ride and handling, and it clearly has an interior volume advantage over anything else that handles decently. The only obvious weak point -- a serious one, to be sure -- is the five-cylinder, but I don't see how that's an automatic write-off point.

68_427

Quote from: ifcar on July 04, 2011, 12:31:46 PM
The reviews I've seen have said the Passat has a best-in-class balance of ride and handling, and it clearly has an interior volume advantage over anything else that handles decently. The only obvious weak point -- a serious one, to be sure -- is the five-cylinder, but I don't see how that's an automatic write-off point.

I was going to say... but in a less kind manner.
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

The reviews I've read have slammed the interior for being flat-out bad. Then the 5cyl's performance and economy are mediocre, especially with most automakers doing through revisions on their smaller motors to give better performance and economy.

Atomic

i think the '12 camry will continue to reign. it looks better without looking nothing like a toyota. with mention of the upgrades, it should make current owners even happier, unlike what owners of the previous generation vw jetta must think of the cheapened new model and what current passat owners may think of the '12 vw equivalent.

toyota did a remarkable job making the 2012 camry look like the pre-12 camry without the avoidance of taking a risk. the corolla? well, it was that great (in the looks department) to begin with, so i think toyota should take on a bigger gamble when redesigning this model. imo, they do not have to play it safe with the corolla, as honda did with the more mature looking civic sedan for 2012. btw, the '12 civic coupe looks far better than the last model... opposed to looking like a "two door" version of the sedan, the 2012 civic coupe looks like a totally different car... with the coupe, i think honda's "risk" will paid off.

68_427

Quote from: 2o6 on July 04, 2011, 12:40:26 PM
The reviews I've read have slammed the interior for being flat-out bad. Then the 5cyl's performance and economy are mediocre, especially with most automakers doing through revisions on their smaller motors to give better performance and economy.

Please link those reviews which slam the interior.
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

Why there is an exclaimation point in the title of this thread, I will never know.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Atomic

i like what i have seen and read about the 2012 vw passat. if not for some really awesome more "european-like" pre-2012 model year versions of the passat, i think the media and car enthusiasts would be far more complimentary of the '12 passat.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on July 04, 2011, 12:40:26 PM
The reviews I've read have slammed the interior for being flat-out bad.

I've never seen such a review, and the Passat I was in had a very nice interior. You appear to be thinking of a different Volkswagen, called "Jetta."

Atomic

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on July 04, 2011, 12:42:24 PM
Why there is an exclaimation point in the title of this thread, I will never know.
'cause it's just me  :lol:

...and what i was excited to find... the first glance of america's best selling car :)

Atomic

there has never been a better selection of cars in this class, imo.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Atomic on July 04, 2011, 12:49:45 PM
there has never been a better selection of cars in this class, imo.
Cars are all better than they've ever been. But many still suck, which makes no sense given how much time they've had to figure them out

the Teuton

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 04, 2011, 04:58:04 PM
Cars are all better than they've ever been. But many still suck, which makes no sense given how much time they've had to figure them out

The best family sedans that have ever been sold in the US, the first gen Mazda6 and B5.5 Passat were replaced with mediocre cars. What does that tell you about your perception of what makes a great family sedan vs. the people who actually buy them?

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on July 04, 2011, 05:01:42 PM
The best family sedans that have ever been sold in the US, the first gen Mazda6 and B5.5 Passat were replaced with mediocre cars. What does that tell you about your perception of what makes a great family sedan vs. the people who actually buy them?

They were never great family sedans. A great family sedan is more spacious than they were. You can argue that they were great cars, but their weakness -- what proved to be their fatal weakness -- was mediocre utility.

And there is room in the marketplace for great compact sedans to fill their niche while offering no less interior volume or sophistication, and without taking up a critical spot in the model lineup. If the Mazda3 were a touch roomier and had a nicer interior, for instance, it would already be everything the last Mazda6 was. (Except attractive, of course, but that's a more Mazda-specific issue.)

ifcar

On an unrelated note, this is what I keep seeing for this thread title:

2012 Toyota Camry Leaked!
Japanese automaker recalls sedan over gasket issues

Atomic

Quote from: the Teuton on July 04, 2011, 05:01:42 PM
my words were "better selection"...

you are spot on with your analysis, especially regarding that stellar passat :)

GoCougs

Doesn't look all-new to me. I wonder if it'll go along the same (risky) lines as the "new" Civic and Corolla (i.e, "all new" = refresh).

The SE though does appear to wearing some mighty big shoes though.

2o6

Quote from: GoCougs on July 04, 2011, 09:56:35 PM
Doesn't look all-new to me. I wonder if it'll go along the same (risky) lines as the "new" Civic and Corolla (i.e, "all new" = refresh).

The SE though does appear to wearing some mighty big shoes though.

Yeah, but the stance looks similar to the RAV4.

Atomic

i like the ride and handling of the new '12 civic sedan (did not take a spin in a coupe yet), but the problem is that honda removed some of the "wow factor" of the edgy looking older 4-door design and made it more conservative. the interior of the ex if kinda fun and flirty, though, with a cool pattern looking far better in person vs. photos. fortunately, for the 2012 camry, it does look a bit sportier while still looking like a camry -- not a bad thing considering its sales figures and owner loyalty numbers.

i do admit, it is hard to tell how the car will actually look based on the fuzzy and oddly angled video footage. we should be seeing "real pics" very soon... it may or may not warrant an exclamation point  :evildude:! < oops ;0)

thewizard16

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 04, 2011, 04:58:04 PM
But the many that still suck tend to suck a lot less at least.

The video is unclear enough I can't tell a whole lot about the car, but I hope they clean up the interior a little- I actually rather like the look of the current model, but the dash was my least favorite thing about the car, I think it's been getting worse as new models come out. It'd be nice if they stepped the exterior design up a bit too (the Optima is currently my favorite by far in this category), but I doubt they'll be too adventurous.

Quote from: 2o6 on July 04, 2011, 12:23:00 PM
I actually think the new Corolla looks a hell of a lot better than the last one, but managed to be a worse car overall. I disliked the car strongly, but I rather liked the exterior design- inoffensive enough while still retaining a sporty edge.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.