2012 Toyota Camry Leaked!

Started by Atomic, July 04, 2011, 11:56:03 AM

GoCougs

LOL, nice "all-new" Camry you got there Toyota. This is part and parcel of how GM got its lunch eaten. Some of the competition is not pulling the Civic/Camry/old Detroit losing game of simply not keeping the product fresh enough. The Malibu will be all-new after a five-year run in MY2013, ditto for the Sonata for MY2011 and Legacy for MY2010.

But yeah, there's a reason it's the class leader. People like big, roomy, quiet, smooth, comfy, nice but not daring, reliable/durable, and mostly just an easy car to get around in and to live with. Though there a plenty good mid-sizers out there none do that all as well as the Camry. Also, the V6 SE is the best overall performing mid-sizer, and a decent performer in its own right.

CALL_911

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 31, 2011, 06:12:33 PM
Dude, everybody knows that Krups makes the blenders for purists. Hamilton Beach makes the nostalgic old school classics.

Our Krups blender crapped out after just a year. We replaced it with an el cheapo blender, which works fine.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 31, 2011, 06:53:13 PM
Our Krups blender crapped out after just a year. We replaced it with an el cheapo blender, which works fine.

Ferraris aren't known for their reliability either.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

hotrodalex

Quote from: the Teuton on July 31, 2011, 05:58:22 PM
Think about it this way: If you had to load up a group of 3 or 4 friends and yourself and drive on a 1,000-mile trip, which family car would you pick?

I'd want something, smooth, quiet, comfortable, reliable, and spacious. The Camry has its flaws, but it's a better pick than just about anything else in its class for such duties.

A Charger.

the Teuton

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 31, 2011, 10:23:05 PM
A Charger.

I did a 2,000-mile roundtip in a Magnum. You say that now, but you have no idea what you're talking about. That transmission tunnel in the middle is terrible, the seats aren't that great, and the smallest guy in your loaded-up five-passenger trip will always get the hump seat in the middle.

The car's ride wasn't terrible, but it could have afforded to be a little softer for a bunch of guys trying to get some sleep in the back. It wasn't the best car we could have had.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Laconian

Yeah, that tunnel is quite a monolith!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

I don't think the Camry is that much appreciably smoother than the competition, though.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on July 31, 2011, 10:44:31 PM
I don't think the Camry is that much appreciably smoother than the competition, though.

It's the most drama-free vehicle under $25,000 sold today.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on July 31, 2011, 10:46:18 PM
It's the most drama-free vehicle under $25,000 sold today.

My brother has a 2011 SE, and although I do feel a difference, I don't think the Camry does anything super-appreciably better than the competition (and that interior is a slapdash mess). These things sell on name alone. My brother didn't even DO any shopping.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on July 31, 2011, 10:47:53 PM

My brother has a 2011 SE, and although I do feel a difference, I don't think the Camry does anything super-appreciably better than the competition (and that interior is a slapdash mess). These things sell on name alone. My brother didn't even DO any shopping.

It doesn't do anything better than its competition...but it offers solid B+s and A-s all around, which is better than the Accord, for instance, that gets solid As in space and steering feel but a C in interior noise. The Camry just does everything well.

Why would your brother need to do any shopping?

2o6

Quote from: the Teuton on July 31, 2011, 10:51:20 PM
It doesn't do anything better than its competition...but it offers solid B+s and A-s all around, which is better than the Accord, for instance, that gets solid As in space and steering feel but a C in interior noise. The Camry just does everything well.

That interior is not put together well. It's nearing pre 05' Malibu bad.

It's quiet and smooth, and honestly (IMO) nothing else.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on July 31, 2011, 10:44:31 PM

Well, you're just wrong.

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on July 31, 2011, 10:51:20 PM

No way -- Camry gets lousy marks for handling and interior quality.

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on July 31, 2011, 10:54:18 PM

Interior quality isn't great, but the seats are more comfortable, and the fabric feels durable. The dash sucks, though, but if you're not a dash-stroker, it's no biggie. I thought the dash on the new Sonata sucked versus the outgoing car.

As for the handling, that'd matter if dealers had slalom courses. They don't. Few people are ever going to push Camrys to their limits.

2o6

Quote from: ifcar on July 31, 2011, 10:52:38 PM
Well, you're just wrong.

I've been in (and driven some) of the competition. I think it's smoother, yes, but not to the point where the competition feels unrefined.

Quote from: ifcar on July 31, 2011, 10:54:18 PM

Plus one.

I think it is smoother, but I don't see the big deal since most of the class feels pretty disconnected and smooth, IMO.

Quote from: the Teuton on July 31, 2011, 10:56:59 PM
Interior quality isn't great, but the seats are more comfortable, and the fabric feels durable. The dash sucks, though, but if you're not a dash-stroker, it's no biggie. I thought the dash on the new Sonata sucked versus the outgoing car.

As for the handling, that'd matter if dealers had slalom courses. They don't. Few people are ever going to push Camrys to their limits.

It can be unsettling at higher speeds.

Panel gaps and cheap plastics, and misaligned pieces are all over the place in my brother's Camry.

The Sonata is hands down a better car inside.

ifcar

Quote from: the Teuton on July 31, 2011, 10:56:59 PM

It's more severe than that for sure. The dash on all the 2010/2011 Camrys I've seen has been very visibly misaligned, and you'll notice super-light steering even if you're not driving hard.

You can't say it does everything well and then just disregard the areas it doesn't. EVERY car does everything well except for the things it doesn't.

hotrodalex

Quote from: the Teuton on July 31, 2011, 10:31:59 PM
I did a 2,000-mile roundtip in a Magnum. You say that now, but you have no idea what you're talking about. That transmission tunnel in the middle is terrible, the seats aren't that great, and the smallest guy in your loaded-up five-passenger trip will always get the hump seat in the middle.

The car's ride wasn't terrible, but it could have afforded to be a little softer for a bunch of guys trying to get some sleep in the back. It wasn't the best car we could have had.

I did 7 hours in a Charger on Friday. Not bad at all. Transmission tunnel was fine, a little wide but the foot well was still plenty wide enough and there was plenty of legroom. The seats were great, especially for sleeping in (at least the front passenger seat was. Don't know about the back. I sat back there for 10 minutes and it was comfortable, but I didn't try to sleep). And you said 3 or 4 people, not 5. The ride in ours was smooth. Maybe not Camry smooth, but smooth enough that it wouldn't be much of a difference. Only comfort problem I had was the center armrest is too far back. And the car tends to understeer when in the mountains going 85. But other than, it was great. Oh, and 32 mpg average at 80 mph.

Keep in mind, this is a brand new 2011 model. Can't speak for the previous gen.

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on July 31, 2011, 10:59:23 PM
It's more severe than that for sure. The dash on all the 2010/2011 Camrys I've seen has been very visibly misaligned, and you'll notice super-light steering even if you're not driving hard.

You can't say it does everything well and then just disregard the areas it doesn't. EVERY car does everything well except for the things it doesn't.

Fine...I'm done doing devil's advocate. The plastics suck. I'll admit it.

Edit: And I hate Toyota's (lack of) steering feel.

2o6

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 31, 2011, 11:00:26 PM
I did 7 hours in a Charger on Friday. Not bad at all. Transmission tunnel was fine, a little wide but the foot well was still plenty wide enough and there was plenty of legroom. The seats were great, especially for sleeping in (at least the front passenger seat was. Don't know about the back. I sat back there for 10 minutes and it was comfortable, but I didn't try to sleep). And you said 3 or 4 people, not 5. The ride in ours was smooth. Maybe not Camry smooth, but smooth enough that it wouldn't be much of a difference. Only comfort problem I had was the center armrest is too far back. And the car tends to understeer when in the mountains going 85. But other than, it was great. Oh, and 32 mpg average at 80 mph.

Keep in mind, this is a brand new 2011 model. Can't speak for the previous gen.

The old one had a tunnel that made it a 4-passenger car, basically.

Quote from: the Teuton on July 31, 2011, 11:02:25 PM
Fine...I'm done doing devil's advocate. The plastics suck. I'll admit it.

They're markedly worse than the competition and not put together well.

hotrodalex

Quote from: 2o6 on July 31, 2011, 11:02:58 PM

The old one had a tunnel that made it a 4-passenger car, basically.

I don't really remember what the tunnel was like in the back seat. I don't think it was too bad, though, or I would have noticed. Even so, 3 people in the back seat is rarely comfortable for long drives, large hump or not.

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Onslaught

The last thing Toyota would even need to do is read stuff like this when making the next Camry. The Camry is the overall best car in it's class for the average American. I wouldn't own one but it's still the best.

thewizard16

Quote from: 2o6 on July 31, 2011, 10:52:22 PM

That interior is not put together well. It's nearing pre 05' Malibu bad.

It's quiet and smooth, and honestly (IMO) nothing else.
It isn't pre 05 Malibu bad yet (in fact, the 2010 Malibu I rented had similar interior alignment issues to the 2010 Camry, but that is not a good thing for the Camry) but it is disappointing how far it has fallen. Having been in ... a lot... of Camries, it seems like their interior panel fit has been getting worse since the 97-01 generation. Materials were slightly better in the 02-06 model, but you started noticing plastics along the door that didn't fit quite right, and the panel below the dash around the center console would come loose and gap from the dash. The new model's materials seem to have taken a hit on quality (hard plastics where they would have put soft in the past, cheaper looking pillar/glovebox/dash plastics than before, etc.) and they had definitely taken a hit on fit- I was shocked to see the entire center console was noticeably misaligned in the new Camry, as were some of the button surrounds near the steering wheel. The AC control knobs were the cheapest feeling I'd used in a Camry, and the headliner looked lower budget than before. It was definitely the quietest and smoothest of the Malibu, Altima, Charger, Fusion, and Impala rentals I had, and the seats were the easiest to get comfortable in quickly, but the handling was potentially the worst and the interior wasn't a strong point anymore. If they keep slipping up on the Camry, I don't see good things in the long-term for Toyota.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Atomic

wow. stunned at your camry experience. the 2010 i rented was pretty solid, but i think i was the first or second driving this particular car, as it had roughly 550 miles on it. despite my decent experience with the rental, i am more of a honda accord EX-L V6 man (but the LX and EX 4 cylinder versions are great, too).

Onslaught

I must agree that the Camry and Corolla's interiors have gone down hill.

thewizard16

Quote from: Atomic on August 01, 2011, 05:51:01 PM
wow. stunned at your camry experience. the 2010 i rented was pretty solid, but i think i was the first or second driving this particular car, as it had roughly 550 miles on it. despite my decent experience with the rental, i am more of a honda accord EX-L V6 man (but the LX and EX 4 cylinder versions are great, too).
I didn't say it was a bad car, it's not. But it is a worse car in some ways than the Camries that preceded it (the 3 previous generations of which I have driven a lot), the most bothersome of which to me was quality and attention to detail, since that has been a big part of its appeal in the past. It certainly didn't stand out above the competition for interior quality like they used to, and I would have a hard time talking myself into buying one if I were in the market. I have never liked the Accord, but I haven't driven the newest model.

Quote from: Onslaught on August 01, 2011, 10:05:18 PM
I must agree that the Camry and Corolla's interiors have gone down hill.
The Corolla's was shockingly bad to me. The Camry had poor fit and had cheapened some materials, but at least tried to look nice. The Corolla went all out cheap- all the soft plastics from the last gen seemed to have been replaced by hard, crude edged plastics, and it just didn't seem to be trying to be nice at all anymore. But, I've ranted about my dislike of the "new" Corolla before so I won't go off on that again.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

WookieOnRitalin

Camry is now just an average player in the midsize market and is surviving on name alone. Toyota has lost touch with buyers because what separated them from their competition was the perceived quality difference, but that no longer exists. The other thing that kept Toyota on the radar was their funky vehicles that made them lovable (Celicas, Supras, MR2). They made Scion to keep that cred alive, but they even screwed Scion up with their Blandification of that brand as well.

Welcome to being #1 Toyota. You make almost nothing interesting. The Camry is still boring if not functional. People want more zest and personality with their vehicles.

Toyota is like a girl that really has no inherent flaws. She's okay looking, but plain. Not very athletic. No personality. Steady. Reliable. Just boring and ultimately unattractive.

God, the Camry sucks.
1989 Mazda 929
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2010 Saab 9-3
2012 Suzuki Kizashi
2015 Mazda3

1987 Nissan Maxima GXE
2006 Subaru Baja Turbo

ifcar

Quote from: WookieOnRitalin on August 02, 2011, 06:40:03 AM

Toyota is like a girl that really has no inherent flaws. She's okay looking, but plain. Not very athletic. No personality. Steady. Reliable. Just boring and ultimately unattractive.

...I'd hit that.

Raza

Quote from: thecarnut on July 30, 2011, 10:31:52 AM
Front is OK, rear is just weird.

The front is hideous; it looks like they plastered a Civic front end on to it.  I have almost no feelings about the rear. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.