Two Lucky New 2011 Chevrolet Caprice Owners

Started by Atomic, July 05, 2011, 05:05:44 PM

Atomic

damn! what a screw up, but... there are 1-2 lucky civilians as a result...

Glitch Lets Civilians Shop for Cop Car; The Detective Version of the Chevrolet Caprice: A heavy-duty Ride

Automotive News -- July 4, 2011 - 12:01 am ET

Thanks to a screw-up by the legal department, Chevy fanatics who long for the old days of rear-drive sedans with beefy V-8s got a brief chance to travel back in time -- and buy a police car.

But the error has been caught and the window is closing.

The Chevrolet Caprice PPV, a police car General Motors is importing from Australia, began trickling into dealerships in May.

GM limits police car sales to governmental units -- but neglected to include that little provision in its Caprice contract with dealerships. And at least one store, Criswell Chevrolet in Gaithersburg, Md., was quick to capitalize.

According to the Web site Jalopnik.com, Criswell advertised 13 of the vehicles, selling for $31,870 to $37,053, on its Web site. That section of Criswell's site vanished after Jalopnik spilled the beans and GM picked up the phone.

Owner Harry Criswell said his store sold only one or two detective versions to noncops before GM called him last week and asked him to stop. The dealership will sell the rest of the vehicles it had intended to sell to consumers to police departments, he said.

"Performance vehicles are in our DNA," he said of his promotional efforts.

GM spokesman Tom Henderson said lawyers were busy plugging the loophole and that he wasn't aware of any other dealerships selling the cop cars to the public.

What's the allure? A 6.0-liter, 355-hp V-8, for starters. If you want a V-8 in a Chevy these days, you've got to buy a Corvette, a Camaro or a truck. And there hasn't been a rear-drive Chevy sedan since the 1996 Impala.

ifcar

To close budget gaps, police departments should buy the cars and flip them to civilian customers.

Mustangfan2003

68_427

Someone on GMI bought one.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f13/maryland-dealer-plans-defy-gm-sell-caprice-general-public-103917/index19.html

So stupid for them not to sell this.  I'd love to rent one, looks like a fantastic trip car.  Quite cavernous.

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Atomic

wonder if it would be tuned for a decent enough ride for a "civilian car" and a leather clad interior option, etc... isn't speed and handling the top priority of squad cars. many of course would forfit the leather and other emenities, like sunroof, but a typical large car owner might miss these items.

68_427

The seats are half leather, just the inserts are cloth.  Kinda strange.  The car has pretty much every other option though I think, including Nav or something.
'racecar is die'
no

AltinD

How difficult would be to import one from the Middle East? The SS trim model is sweet, even more so then the Royal that is supposed to be the luxury one.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

cawimmer430

These are the lucky Caprice owners.  :wub:

^Stylish, handsome, elegant and 1980s charm.^  :rockon:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

CJ

Quote from: AltinD on July 06, 2011, 07:48:02 AM
How difficult would be to import one from the Middle East? The SS trim model is sweet, even more so then the Royal that is supposed to be the luxury one.

Very hard. U.S. importation laws are pretty strict.

2o6

Quote from: AltinD on July 06, 2011, 07:48:02 AM

Impossible.

Vinsanity

Is there seriously a worthwhile private-sector demand for these cars? The sales story of the Pontiac G8 doesn't seem to indicate so.

68_427

Quote from: 2o6 on July 06, 2011, 11:48:27 AM
Impossible.

Yup, cars have to be a certain age before you can import them.
'racecar is die'
no

Atomic

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 06, 2011, 05:18:14 PM
Is there seriously a worthwhile private-sector demand for these cars? The sales story of the Pontiac G8 doesn't seem to indicate so.
the GTO was not well received due to its ugly factor, imo. however, the very attractive G8 seemed to begin trickling onto dealer lots during a time when serious talk of pontiac's demise surfaced. i think this (what i believe gm and pontiac knew all along) played a major role in the lower than expected sales of the G8.

MX793

Quote from: 68_427 on July 06, 2011, 05:45:56 PM
Yup, cars have to be a certain age before you can import them.

Yeah, like 25+ years.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 06, 2011, 05:18:14 PM

The G8 was marketed totally wrong.

Atomic

Quote from: 2o6 on July 06, 2011, 09:01:34 PM
The G8 was marketed totally wrong.
you are so right! i remember buying another maxima se back then after a pontiac dealer told me that each dealership would only be alotted one or two in the first 6-12 months. also, the one "coming in" did not have a sunroof (my guilty pleasure... a must!) and no navigation (later learned that was a late availability option). the dealer had no literatrure and i never recall having seen a single t.v. promoting the car.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Atomic on July 07, 2011, 05:57:16 AM
you are so right! i remember buying another maxima se back then after a pontiac dealer told me that each dealership would only be alotted one or two in the first 6-12 months. also, the one "coming in" did not have a sunroof (my guilty pleasure... a must!) and no navigation (later learned that was a late availability option). the dealer had no literatrure and i never recall having seen a single t.v. promoting the car.

You haven't? There was a cool little spot that paid homage to the old Spyhunter arcade game that ran quite often. I'd post the youtube link, but it's blocked at my office.

Atomic

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 07, 2011, 08:46:32 AM
You haven't? There was a cool little spot that paid homage to the old Spyhunter arcade game that ran quite often. I'd post the youtube link, but it's blocked at my office.
cool! when you get a chance... thanks  :ohyeah:

L. ed foote

Member, Self Preservation Society

L. ed foote

Member, Self Preservation Society

Tave

Quote from: Atomic on July 06, 2011, 06:19:35 PM
the GTO was not well received due to its ugly factor, imo. however, the very attractive G8 seemed to begin trickling onto dealer lots during a time when serious talk of pontiac's demise surfaced. i think this (what i believe gm and pontiac knew all along) played a major role in the lower than expected sales of the G8.

That's a very good point. How much do poor G8 sales numbers really tell us when Pontiac was already dead in the water?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Atomic

Quote from: Tave on July 08, 2011, 05:24:11 PM
That's a very good point. How much do poor G8 sales numbers really tell us when Pontiac was already dead in the water?
not certain of the exact numbers sold, but i rarely saw many on the lots and as i recall, most lacked a major option or two that i really wanted. again, i think it was dead in the water before leaving the gate... well, dock to stick with the H2O analogy :)

Mustangfan2003

I may be wrong but I think the Caprice could sell just as well as the Impala.  It would just need a V6 option. 

ifcar

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on July 09, 2011, 01:58:21 PM
I may be wrong but I think the Caprice could sell just as well as the Impala.  It would just need a V6 option. 

And stupidly low prices.

Mustangfan2003

I think the Caprice would be the clear police car winner if it came with a column shift. 

GoCougs

Remember the Impala (and Charger) sell "well" because they are 50%+ fleet queens by volume. Retail sales of the Caprice would be about like that of the G8 (i.e., terrible). Plebeian American buyers don't have a whole lot of use for large cars.

Atomic

Quote from: GoCougs on July 10, 2011, 03:18:10 PM
Remember the Impala (and Charger) sell "well" because they are 50%+ fleet queens by volume. Retail sales of the Caprice would be about like that of the G8 (i.e., terrible). Plebeian American buyers don't have a whole lot of use for large cars.
good point...

re: the dodge charger... i think the chrysler 300/300c sells more volume to retail buyers than the lower priced charger and the challenger (coupe obviously) probably does better than the sedans -- percentage wise. not sure, just thinking this is the case.

re: the caprice, i wonder if gm is holding out for perhaps a higher priced buick version to be designed? without the mercury grand marquis and soon -- no lucerne, it might be a good contender.