Teuton's next car(s)

Started by the Teuton, July 09, 2011, 12:30:56 PM

Vinsanity

Quote from: the Teuton on July 30, 2011, 09:20:31 AM
Fine, I'll get a Cali license...but the car isn't mine to switch over.

you'll have some issues selling it if the title isn't under your name

Soup DeVille

When did this forum get so full of Johnny Goodcitizens?

Seriously guys, he's registering his car in a different state. So what?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

We're just telling him the reality that there may be consequences. I don't care what he does.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on July 30, 2011, 09:13:39 PM
We're just telling him the reality that there may be consequences. I don't care what he does.

Do you chide everybody who violates the speed limit or forgoes getting a dog license too?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

He didn't seem to get that it's a bigger deal to not register a car and all that in the state in which you actually live than it is to speed, eh?
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on July 30, 2011, 10:10:11 PM
He didn't seem to get that it's a bigger deal to not register a car and all that in the state in which you actually live than it is to speed, eh?

Not really.

Rupert

Soup DeVille

Don't make me break out the owls...

An improper registration ticket comes with zero penalty points and cosst about the same as a 5MPH over speeding ticket; which does come with penalty points. Furthermore: having an out of state registration puts nobody at risk. The only "wrong" done is depriving the state of California more tax money.

Its not that big of a deal

Rupert

Dude, I got a groundhog to beat up your owls.

But if he gets in an accident, his insurance company can cause him problems. Like I said, I don't really think he's doing anything morally wrong.

Soup DeVille

Rupert

dazzleman

Quote from: the Teuton on July 29, 2011, 08:53:25 PM
BTW, I'm not on a lease here. I technically don't live here.

Jake, it would be very hard to argue that you don't live in California when you have a full time job there that requires you to be at your office.

The reality is that you do live in California, not Ohio.  You're not a student anymore and don't really have the option to claim your parents' address as yours.

Realistically, it gets harder to play this game as you establish yourself outside of college.  You can try to keep Plasticar registered outside of California for as long as you can, but sooner or later, the logistically realities of having your car in somebody else's name, who lives a couple of thousand miles away, will become insurmountable or not worth dealigh with.  This will be especially true when you get another car and need to get it registered.  For now, you can probably just keep renewing the Ohio registration/insurance and you'll probably get away with it for a while, since I'd imagine LA police have more important things to worry about.  But if you're going to break the law, you should be very aware of what the law is so you know the penalties you're risking if you get busted and can decide whether they're worth it.

The same is true with your license.  It's illegal to be there more than a short period without switching your license over.  For a kid who was scared shitless of getting pulled over for speeding, this is a bit of a risk to run, but without the offestting fun that comes with speeding.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: ifcar on July 29, 2011, 07:43:55 PM
No.....

Dude, I would know this, since I work in a different state than where I live.

You pay taxes where you work as well as where you live.  You get a credit in the state where you live against the income on which you paid taxes in the state where you work.

Generally, this involves neighboring states, not states 2,500 miles away from each other, unless the job is some type of telecommuting job, which Teuton's isn't.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on July 28, 2011, 09:20:28 PM
So, you're an adult, living wholly on his own with a good job, you drive the car that you paid for with your own money, and maintain with your own time and money, every day to go to work in the state of California, where you are or will soon be a legal resident, but the car isn't registered in that state? I'm not saying that's completely immoral, but that's a scam. ;)

Scam is a pretty strong word to describe that.  It's not quite the same as, say, evading income taxes on a similar basis (which many people do).

Since when are you such a moralist?  ;)

dazzleman

Quote from: 2o6 on July 28, 2011, 09:31:48 PM
If you get into an accident, that's going to ruin you and your parents.

I doubt it.

ifcar

Quote from: dazzleman on July 31, 2011, 06:11:06 AM
Dude, I would know this, since I work in a different state than where I live.

You pay taxes where you work as well as where you live.  You get a credit in the state where you live against the income on which you paid taxes in the state where you work.

Generally, this involves neighboring states, not states 2,500 miles away from each other, unless the job is some type of telecommuting job, which Teuton's isn't.

I was going with my experience living in Maryland while working in D.C., but as I'd posted earlier, the arrangement around here isn't as typical as I'd thought.

NomisR

I believe California requires you to be licensed with the state if you stay here for more than 30 days.  Same applies to the car, but I'm not sure how it would work if the car is not registered under your name.

Secret Chimp

I didn't register my car here until my tabs expired eight months after I moved.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.