Teuton's next car(s)

Started by the Teuton, July 09, 2011, 12:30:56 PM

Vinsanity

Why are we egging on Toots to buy a 25-year-old Plasticar to supplement his 15-year-old one?

I personally like the Plasticar + Miata idea, but logic dictates driving Plasticar until it starts needing major repairs, and then replacing it with a shiny new(ish) econobox.

Come to think of it, I'm not even that familiar with our rules on bringing out-of-state cars here; will you be needing to get Plasticar smog-checked in order to register it here? How are you planning to rid yourself of it if that be the case?

Secret Chimp

If Tootawn gets a Miata, he'll get scared and stop driving it the first time someone yells a homosexual allegation at him.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Secret Chimp on July 14, 2011, 11:01:21 AM
If Tootawn gets a Miata, he'll get scared and stop driving it the first time someone yells a homosexual allegation at him.

He's in L.A., not the I.E.; Toots is more likely for a tranny hooker to solicit him in that car than for a roid raging bro to yell a homosexual allegation at him.

shp4man

If the car doesn't have a catalyst, it ain't passin' smog. You can't sell/license it here without smog. You can put the cat back on or you can donate it to a worthy charity. Welcome to California. :lol:

NomisR

Raza

Quote from: the Teuton on July 09, 2011, 12:30:56 PM
With all of the MSCs, 1 Ms, and other new car shopping and planning going on around here, it got me thinking about the future of Teuton car shopping.

The PlastiCar isn't going to last forever, but it only has 125k miles on it. The unfortunate thing is, though, that without a catalytic converter, I cannot sell it in California. Also framing this predicament is that despite having a fulltime job, my top priority is going to be towards paying off my student loans. If I didn't have the debt load, I'd go out and buy a Fiesta today, but I do, so it gives me some room for some creativity. Here are my thoughts. Let me know what you think of them:

Scenario 1: Keep Saturn, get old Miata. It's pretty simple. It's pretty cheap. It'll suit my enthusiast needs and while some people have Camrys, it'll ensure I don't have one of the more mundane vehicles at work.

Scenario 2: Keep Saturn, get BMW 2002. I've wanted to have a 2002 for years now, but they've been a little on the expensive side. That said, I will have the income to support buying an $8,000 2002 fairly quickly. The big downside offsetting the coolness of the 2002 is that I will have two old, kinda flaky cars, one of which will be a little on the German and expensive side to repair.

Scenario 3: Get rid of Saturn, get Subaru WRX. Sure, the WRX would likely be a 2003 or 2004, but if it's a well-documented car, it'll be a deal. I'm not going to buy a piece of junk just to say I have a Subaru WRX, but I really do miss all-wheel drive and that boxer rumble. It's not really necessary in California, but nothing's necessary in California.

Scenario 4: Cheap, used, reliable. Most likely, that would entail a 2005ish Focus ZX3. Civics get stolen out here, and Corollas are boring as all heck. But if I go this route, fun, stick, and 30+ mpg are a must.

What say you?

AWD in Los Angeles is an absolute MUST.  It's the North Pole of the west coast. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

Quote from: Raza  on July 28, 2011, 07:15:13 AM

AWD in Los Angeles is an absolute MUST.  It's the North Pole of the west coast. 
ROFL...
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Mustangfan2003

Well AWD could be fun on trails in Death Valley

the Teuton

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 14, 2011, 10:28:52 AM
Why are we egging on Toots to buy a 25-year-old Plasticar to supplement his 15-year-old one?

I personally like the Plasticar + Miata idea, but logic dictates driving Plasticar until it starts needing major repairs, and then replacing it with a shiny new(ish) econobox.

Come to think of it, I'm not even that familiar with our rules on bringing out-of-state cars here; will you be needing to get Plasticar smog-checked in order to register it here? How are you planning to rid yourself of it if that be the case?

PlastiCar is staying an Ohioan. With 6 million people in the city, I figure if I don't cause a ruckus, PlastiCar will live a peaceful life in Kalifornia.

Quote from: Vinsanity on July 14, 2011, 11:52:52 AM
He's in L.A., not the I.E.; Toots is more likely for a tranny hooker to solicit him in that car than for a roid raging bro to yell a homosexual allegation at him.

California is a whole different ballgame (pun not intended) from Ohio. Here seems like a much better place to own one.

Quote from: shp4man on July 14, 2011, 01:54:50 PM
If the car doesn't have a catalyst, it ain't passin' smog. You can't sell/license it here without smog. You can put the cat back on or you can donate it to a worthy charity. Welcome to California. :lol:

Looks like I will be its last owner then. Bahaha!

Still like adhering to your communist laws. I would rather drive another car back from Ohio than register one here.

Quote from: NomisR on July 21, 2011, 01:34:48 PM
Get a Lotus Elise.  :lol:

Hmmm...
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Rupert

CA will kick your ass if they figure out your OH scam. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

the Teuton

Quote from: Rupert on July 28, 2011, 08:47:14 PM
CA will kick your ass if they figure out your OH scam. ;)

It's not a scam. The car's registered in my father's name. While I paid/pay for it, it's legally his car. I'm borrowing it. He still lives in Ohio.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

In D.C., a car parked routinely overnight on public streets needs to be registered within 30 days or they boot it, enforced fairly strictly. There are a few exemptions, but the car being registered to a non-resident isn't one of them. (On the flip side, if you have off street parking, you have no obligation to register.)

Not sure what the California law is.

the Teuton

Quote from: ifcar on July 28, 2011, 08:52:01 PM
In D.C., a car parked routinely overnight on public streets needs to be registered within 30 days or they boot it, enforced fairly strictly. There are a few exemptions, but the car being registered to a non-resident isn't one of them. (On the flip side, if you have off street parking, you have no obligation to register.)

Not sure what the California law is.

I park behind my apartment on off-street parking. And as it is, you don't need a permit to park on my street. I'm as legally legal as I can be. Also, my roommates have Massachusetts and Michigan cars.

I don't play California Jedi mind deception games.

280Z Turbo

Why don't you pick up a Spitfire and daily drive it?

the Teuton

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 28, 2011, 08:58:06 PM
Why don't you pick up a Spitfire and daily drive it?

Reliability. Miata is looking swift right now. I want a convertible, but I need a practical car, too -- PlastiCar or a Focus.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: the Teuton on July 28, 2011, 08:59:35 PM
Reliability. Miata is looking swift right now. I want a convertible, but I need a practical car, too -- PlastiCar or a Focus.

Oh come on. There's only like 10 wires in the whole car. You replace everything that says Lucas on it and it's more reliable than a Plasticar.

A Miata will do, I suppose. A bit ubiquitous, though. You can install a class I hitch on the Miata and buy a Harbor Freight trailer. Problem solved.

the Teuton

280Z Turbo

I'm close to buying a class I hitch for the Focus, myself. It solves a lot of problems.

Laconian

Quote from: the Teuton on July 28, 2011, 08:59:35 PM
Swift is looking very Miata right now.

Swift. Three cylinders of fury.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

the Teuton

Quote from: Laconian on July 28, 2011, 09:16:23 PM
Swift is looking very Miata right now.

Swift. Three cylinders of fury.

I'd rather have a Sprint Turbo.

Rupert

Quote from: the Teuton on July 28, 2011, 08:50:00 PM
It's not a scam. The car's registered in my father's name. While I paid/pay for it, it's legally his car. I'm borrowing it. He still lives in Ohio.

So, you're an adult, living wholly on his own with a good job, you drive the car that you paid for with your own money, and maintain with your own time and money, every day to go to work in the state of California, where you are or will soon be a legal resident, but the car isn't registered in that state? I'm not saying that's completely immoral, but that's a scam. ;)
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

the Teuton

Quote from: Rupert on July 28, 2011, 09:20:28 PM
So, you're an adult, living wholly on his own with a good job, you drive the car that you paid for with your own money, and maintain with your own time and money, every day to go to work in the state of California, where you are or will soon be a legal resident, but the car isn't registered in that state? I'm not saying that's completely immoral, but that's a scam. ;)

I had an Ohio car for three years of driving in Pennsylvania, and I even parked it on the street...no problems. It's not legally my car, so I'm not going to worry about it.

2o6

If you get into an accident, that's going to ruin you and your parents.

hotrodalex

Quote from: the Teuton on July 28, 2011, 09:22:43 PM
I had an Ohio car for three years of driving in Pennsylvania, and I even parked it on the street...no problems. It's not legally my car, so I'm not going to worry about it.

College =/= real life on your own.

the Teuton

Quote from: 2o6 on July 28, 2011, 09:31:48 PM
If you get into an accident, that's going to ruin you and your parents.

Nope. Parents got all of the kinks worked out with our insurance agent. Next flame, please enter.

Quote from: hotrodalex on July 28, 2011, 09:33:27 PM
College =/= real life on your own.

It was at an off-campus apartment in the middle of Pittsburgh. Next...

hotrodalex

Quote from: the Teuton on July 28, 2011, 09:36:02 PM
It was at an off-campus apartment in the middle of Pittsburgh. Next...

But if you ever got in trouble for it, you could have just said you were in college so it wasn't your "real" home. Can't really say that now.

2o6

You have to get it changed over soon, this isn't college.

LA people will get hip to a blue saturn driving around with out of state plates. OH police got hip to a burgandy Camry (sister-in-law's car when she moved here) with Wisconsin plates.

Rupert

Quote from: the Teuton on July 28, 2011, 09:22:43 PM

You were in college. I don't think they are going to show up out of the blue with a ticket in hand, or even notice or care that much if you get pulled over for speeding or something, but they certainly will if you get into an accident, because you are required to have insurance for the state you live in (CA), which requires registration in that state. Do what you will, but know the consequences.

the Teuton

The address work has on file is in Ohio. Yes, really.

Rupert

Right, and you don't live there.