Teuton's next car(s)

Started by the Teuton, July 09, 2011, 12:30:56 PM

SVT666

Quote from: the Teuton on July 09, 2011, 01:30:39 PM
You're also excessively tall.
No, I'm not.  I'm 6' tall.  Most of my height is in my torso though since I only have a 32" inseam.

Lebowski

Quote from: dazzleman on July 09, 2011, 08:26:03 PM
Why would you keep the Saturn if you get another car?

Because they'd all be fun cars that wouldn't be practical ...

Dude, whatever you do don't do anything that involves having 2 cars at this point (and you'll probably never need 2 cars given your job). I say this as someone who has two cars myself - you get screwed on insurance, and the maintenance expenses/hassle of two cars will always be more than you think. Don't get me wrong, I love having two cars now, but knowing what it involved I wouldn't have wanted two cars when I first started working and wasn't making too much.

Just save your money, get something practical in a year or two and hopefully by then you'll be able to take home something from work to play with too.

CJ

Lease a new Focus or Elantra.  You get a new car, decently low payment, and a warranty.  That was the appeal of the Honda when we leased it, but we see how well that worked out...

2o6

Leases suck. You pay all that money for a a long term rental and you end up having nothing to show for it.

Rupert

Quote from: CJ on July 09, 2011, 09:30:17 PM
Lease a new Focus or Elantra.  You get a new car, decently low payment, and a warranty.  That was the appeal of the Honda when we leased it, but we see how well that worked out...

Ew.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

CJ

Quote from: 2o6 on July 09, 2011, 09:32:44 PM
Leases suck. You pay all that money for a a long term rental and you end up having nothing to show for it.

We bought the Accord off of lease for significantly less than we would have been able to if we had bought it at the same time on the used market.

2o6

Quote from: CJ on July 09, 2011, 09:47:55 PM

We bought the Accord off of lease for significantly less than we would have been able to if we had bought it at the same time on the used market.

How much is significantly less?

CJ

Quote from: 2o6 on July 09, 2011, 09:52:40 PM
How much is significantly less?

We paid $13,000 for a 3 year old V6 Accord with less than 30,000 miles.

68_427

Quote from: CJ on July 09, 2011, 10:02:06 PM

We paid $13,000 for a 3 year old V6 Accord with less than 30,000 miles.

What was the total amount you paid while leasing it?
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Rupert

My guess is retail - $13k. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Eye of the Tiger

Drive Plastibutt til it asplodes. In the mean time, get a Geo Tracker, or BNW 2000002.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Mustangfan2003

Here is a question to ponder, get a BMW 2002 or a 2002 BMW?   :lol:

Soup DeVille

For some reason I've been nostalgic about aircooled VWs lately. It looks like all the good, affordable Bugs, Ghias and Tyoe 3 fastbacks in the world are in Southern California.

Teutz also is in Southern California.

(IMO, if VW had never discontinued the Type 3 Fastback, it would today bear a striking resemblance to the Porsche Panamera)

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

93JC

I agree with Se?or DeVille's assessment. VW Type 3. Do it.

Lebowski

Quote from: CJ on July 09, 2011, 09:47:55 PM

You probably would have paid less had you just bought the car in the first place.

Leases suck, not only because they rarely work out better from an NPV perspective but also because they limit your flexibility.  I don't know how many miles per year I'll be driving in say 2-3 years from now so no way would I pay for a certain allotment of miles.  I'll just buy the damn car and drive it as much or as little as I want.

hounddog

You are young and living in Kalifornia, get a convertible.  Probably any convertible will work out there as long as it is not the little VW one aimed at women.

Also, 2002 BMW does not indicate which model.  They are also not flaky just because they are BMW, and probably as reliable as anything else for what you want.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

heelntoe

Quote from: hounddog on July 10, 2011, 09:00:52 AM
You are young and living in Kalifornia, get a convertible.  Probably any convertible will work out there as long as it is not the little VW one aimed at women.

Also, 2002 BMW does not indicate which model.  They are also not flaky just because they are BMW, and probably as reliable as anything else for what you want.
Not a 2002 BMW, he meant a BMW 2002

@heelntoe

dazzleman

Quote from: Lebowski on July 09, 2011, 08:43:09 PM
Because they'd all be fun cars that wouldn't be practical ...

Dude, whatever you do don't do anything that involves having 2 cars at this point (and you'll probably never need 2 cars given your job). I say this as someone who has two cars myself - you get screwed on insurance, and the maintenance expenses/hassle of two cars will always be more than you think. Don't get me wrong, I love having two cars now, but knowing what it involved I wouldn't have wanted two cars when I first started working and wasn't making too much.

Just save your money, get something practical in a year or two and hopefully by then you'll be able to take home something from work to play with too.

I agree.  I don't think it makes any sense for somebody on a limited income, who is making sacrifices in other areas of life, to have two cars.  It's fine for Lebowski to have two cars now 'cause he's a financial baller, but having 2 cars starting out makes no sense.

Get something practical until you have saved up enough money to do a cool car right.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: Lebowski on July 10, 2011, 07:52:16 AM
You probably would have paid less had you just bought the car in the first place.

Leases suck, not only because they rarely work out better from an NPV perspective but also because they limit your flexibility.  I don't know how many miles per year I'll be driving in say 2-3 years from now so no way would I pay for a certain allotment of miles.  I'll just buy the damn car and drive it as much or as little as I want.

I agree here too.  I saw a show advising financially strapped people to lease rather than buy a car.  I think it's terrible financial advice.  Leasing basically traps undisciplined people into a permanent car payment and takes away timing flexibility on when to change cars.  I am totally against it.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: 2o6 on July 09, 2011, 09:32:44 PM

Smart man.

2o6

Quote from: dazzleman on July 10, 2011, 10:30:11 AM
Smart man.

With that being said, I'm trying to talk my parents into a lease. I think they're good for older people who don't drive much and don't like fixing things.

hounddog

Quote from: heelntoe on July 10, 2011, 09:41:39 AM
Not a 2002 BMW, he meant a BMW 2002

I see.

I guess I did not realize (care) there was a difference.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

the Teuton

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 10, 2011, 01:04:47 AM
For some reason I've been nostalgic about aircooled VWs lately. It looks like all the good, affordable Bugs, Ghias and Tyoe 3 fastbacks in the world are in Southern California.

Teutz also is in Southern California.

(IMO, if VW had never discontinued the Type 3 Fastback, it would today bear a striking resemblance to the Porsche Panamera)

I was behind a Beetle on the way home a few weeks back when we all had to brake down from about 60 to 20 in a matter of seconds. With modern brakes (and no ABS), I did so pretty comfortably. But the Beetle veered to the right. It was scary looking.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

the Teuton

Quote from: hounddog on July 10, 2011, 11:23:57 AM
I see.

I guess I did not realize (care) there was a difference.

The car is pretty much awesome.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

hounddog

Quote from: the Teuton on July 10, 2011, 11:31:56 AM
The car is pretty much awesome.
if you can get past the looks, I am sure it probably is.

Basic can be so much fun.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

the Teuton

Quote from: hounddog on July 10, 2011, 11:36:41 AM
if you can get past the looks, I am sure it probably is.

Basic can be so much fun.

The looks are a big part of what makes it awesome.

Rupert

Quote from: the Teuton on July 10, 2011, 11:31:29 AM
I was behind a Beetle on the way home a few weeks back when we all had to brake down from about 60 to 20 in a matter of seconds. With modern brakes (and no ABS), I did so pretty comfortably. But the Beetle veered to the right. It was scary looking.

Beetle had a problem.

hounddog

Quote from: the Teuton on July 10, 2011, 11:38:04 AM
The looks are a big part of what makes it awesome.
:huh:

I do not see it, but ok?
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

L. ed foote

Quote from: dazzleman on July 10, 2011, 10:29:44 AMI saw a show advising financially strapped people to lease rather than buy a car.

:confused:

Which show was this, so I can avoid it?
Member, Self Preservation Society

dazzleman

Quote from: L. ed foote on July 10, 2011, 12:15:54 PM
:confused:

Which show was this, so I can avoid it?

It was "Till Debt Do Us Part."  Usually, the advice on there is good, but I wanted to scream at the TV set when leasing was presented as a way to lower payments, especially when the car salesman said that "leasing is a good way to get into a more expensive car than you'd be able to buy."  And these were people deeply in debt and cash-strapped.  It made me even angrier when the host of the show agreed with that advice.  It may sometimes be cheaper in the short run, but it's more expensive in the long run.