Teuton's next car(s)

Started by the Teuton, July 09, 2011, 12:30:56 PM

dazzleman

Quote from: the Teuton on July 10, 2011, 11:31:29 AM
I was behind a Beetle on the way home a few weeks back when we all had to brake down from about 60 to 20 in a matter of seconds. With modern brakes (and no ABS), I did so pretty comfortably. But the Beetle veered to the right. It was scary looking.

Did you check to make sure you still had your balls after driving that thing?
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

Quote from: 2o6 on July 10, 2011, 10:37:08 AM
With that being said, I'm trying to talk my parents into a lease. I think they're good for older people who don't drive much and don't like fixing things.

They only make sense for people who would be getting a new car every couple of years anyway, which is an expensive way to go.  Otherwise, they make no sense.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Lebowski

Quote from: dazzleman on July 10, 2011, 12:24:31 PM
They only make sense for people who would be getting a new car every couple of years anyway, which is an expensive way to go.  Otherwise, they make no sense.

Unless you're a business owner, it makes no sense.

2O6, for older people like your parents who drive low miles, they'd be better off just buying a car and keeping it for a very long time.  It will be more expensive in the short term, but they'll eventually have a paid off car.

dazzleman

Quote from: Lebowski on July 10, 2011, 12:41:12 PM
Unless you're a business owner, it makes no sense.

2O6, for older people like your parents who drive low miles, they'd be better off just buying a car and keeping it for a very long time.  It will be more expensive in the short term, but they'll eventually have a paid off car.

I agree in theory, but many older people don't want to bother with getting the car fixed and having much maintenance done, so they usually don't want to keep a car more than 3 or 4 years.  In that case, leasing probably makes sense.  But financially, it's better to buy and keep the car a long time, with a decent people when there's no financing on it.  I haven't had a car loan for 14 years, and God willing, I'll never have one again.

Lebowski

Quote from: dazzleman on July 10, 2011, 12:43:03 PM
I agree in theory, but many older people don't want to bother with getting the car fixed and having much maintenance done, so they usually don't want to keep a car more than 3 or 4 years.  In that case, leasing probably makes sense.  But financially, it's better to buy and keep the car a long time, with a decent people when there's no financing on it.  I haven't had a car loan for 14 years, and God willing, I'll never have one again.

Well, I'm thinking if they drive low miles, most newer cars are built well enough they should be extremely reliable for well over 3-4 yrs. Say they get like a new civic or corolla and drive <10k miles/yr, that car is going to be a good reliable car for years. And when stuff does crop up or for routine maintenance, a trip to the dealer is a trip to the dealer regardless whether the car is owned or leased n

dazzleman

Quote from: Lebowski on July 10, 2011, 12:48:24 PM
Well, I'm thinking if they drive low miles, most newer cars are built well enough they should be extremely reliable for well over 3-4 yrs. Say they get like a new civic or corolla and drive <10k miles/yr, that car is going to be a good reliable car for years. And when stuff does crop up or for routine maintenance, a trip to the dealer is a trip to the dealer regardless whether the car is owned or leased n

You're right, but not everybody looks at it that logically.

My car is now coming up on 5-1/2 years old.  I have about 42,000 miles on it.  I will probably keep it another couple of years, but I'm starting to get the itch for a new car.  I'm thinking about an Audi A-6 next time.

CALL_911

Quote from: dazzleman on July 10, 2011, 01:57:05 PM

My car is now coming up on 5-1/2 years old.  I have about 42,000 miles on it.  I will probably keep it another couple of years, but I'm starting to get the itch for a new car.  I'm thinking about an Audi A-6 next time.

Porsche.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

dazzleman

Quote from: CALL_911 on July 10, 2011, 02:01:35 PM
Porsche.

:lol:
That would be a good second car, but not really practical as my only car.

Rupert

Shaddup and buy the 911. Jeesh.

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

ifcar

Quote from: dazzleman on July 10, 2011, 02:05:01 PM
That would be a good second car, but not really practical as my only car.

Bah, you've got the train as your daily driver, right? This is your weekend car.

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on July 10, 2011, 02:32:03 PM
Shaddup and buy the 911. Jeesh.

How much are you willing to contribute to my second car?  ;)

Rupert

Advice, support, and I'll even wash it for you. I make, what, 1/8 of your salary? And yet, somehow, I manage to keep two cars without issue. :huh:

You just don't want it enough. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

dazzleman

Quote from: ifcar on July 10, 2011, 02:38:43 PM
Bah, you've got the train as your daily driver, right? This is your weekend car.

I've thought about it.  If I drove to work during the week and put heavy mileage on my car, then I could rationalize having a second, weekend car.  It still wouldn't really make more sense, but it would be easier to justify.

But as it is, I drive 8,000 miles per year on the one car I have.  It makes no financial sense to spread that scant mileage over two depreciating, wasting assets that require insurance, maintenance, etc.  So I have to have a more practical car that meets most of my forseeable needs, such as having to take more than one other person in the car with me.  I don't feel as if I have enough money that I can thoughtlessly waste an amount of the magnitude that would be required to buy and maintain a second car that I clearly don't need.

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on July 10, 2011, 02:43:32 PM
Advice, support, and I'll even wash it for you. I make, what, 1/8 of your salary? And yet, somehow, I manage to keep two cars without issue. :huh:

You just don't want it enough. :lol:

I guess you're right.  I just look at it practically.  With the limited mileage I drive, it doesn't make sense.  Don't think I haven't thought it.  I come from a long line of frugal WASPs, and despite my apparent luxurious lifestyle, I retain something of their disdain for outright wasting money.  Your case is a bit different, since the cars you have are older.

Laconian

You should antagonize your neighborhood with a ratty used car, then. It'll feel like you're breaking the law without actually breaking any laws.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

dazzleman

Quote from: Laconian on July 10, 2011, 02:49:13 PM
You should antagonize your neighborhood with a ratty used car, then. It'll feel like you're breaking the law without actually breaking any laws.

Nah, the 'laws' of keeping the neighborhood upscale are 'laws' I support.  Plus it's no fun breaking rules if you don't know you're risking some penalty.  I'll stick with speeding.... ;)

Rupert

Quote from: Laconian on July 10, 2011, 02:49:13 PM

x100000

I would think that Dave would love that idea. :lol:

Rupert

Quote from: dazzleman on July 10, 2011, 02:46:33 PM
I guess you're right.  I just look at it practically.  With the limited mileage I drive, it doesn't make sense.  Don't think I haven't thought it.  I come from a long line of frugal WASPs, and despite my apparent luxurious lifestyle, I retain something of their disdain for outright wasting money.  Your case is a bit different, since the cars you have are older.

I drive about that mileage on my personal vehicles (combined). What about, like, an old 911? $20k for the car, a few grand tops yearly maintenance, and it's a classic, not a ratty used car.

Rupert

I support your relative frugality, but, c'mon, you can afford a sweet second car. If I had your kind of money, I think I would need a barn to park my fleet!

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: dazzleman on July 10, 2011, 01:57:05 PM

My car is now coming up on 5-1/2 years old.  I have about 42,000 miles on it.  I will probably keep it another couple of years, but I'm starting to get the itch for a new car.  I'm thinking about an Audi A-6 next time.

:praise:

Porsche and Audi are under the same umbrella now, so you'll get some Porsche soul in your Audi (perhaps a little Lamborghini soul? ...ahem, Audi S6 :lol:)

Rupert

*snicker* It's been argued that you can buy a Porsche without Porsche soul these days. :lol:

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on July 10, 2011, 02:53:28 PM
I drive about that mileage on my personal vehicles (combined). What about, like, an old 911? $20k for the car, a few grand tops yearly maintenance, and it's a classic, not a ratty used car.

An older one is a thought.  My brother has an old (1988) BMW as a second car, and he's MUCH cheaper than I am.

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on July 10, 2011, 02:55:06 PM
I support your relative frugality, but, c'mon, you can afford a sweet second car. If I had your kind of money, I think I would need a barn to park my fleet!

And then the money would be gone.... ;)

You can't have it and spend it.  It's one or the other.

Colonel Cadillac

Once you hit "your number" you can have your cake and eat it too!

dazzleman

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on July 10, 2011, 03:17:24 PM
Once you hit "your number" you can have your cake and eat it too!

True to a degree, but I'm not there yet.  I know too many people in my income group who have nothing to show for all the money they've made because they got suckered into an overly expensive lifestyle, trying to act richer than they really are.  I'd rather do the opposite.  Read "The Millionaire Next Door."  Conspicupus overconsumption is so 2006..... :lol:

the Teuton

Way to jack my thread...

Carry on... :popcorn:
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

ifcar

Dazzle, you're mentioning frugality yet buying a luxury car. Perhaps you could "suffer" through a nice mainstream car in the $25,000 range (or less, if you're feeling really adventurous) for errand-running and put that savings over an A6 (plus probably a bit extra, in fairness) toward a zippy fun car for whenever you don't need the extra utility?

Maybe something like a Toyota RAV4 or its ilk as the practical car (more space than a luxury sedan + 4WD) and follow your heart to the other.

68_427

MKZ.  Your old body needs comfy heated/cooled seats.  You can also get the "Executive" package, which has more real wood than you have your whole life.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: dazzleman on July 10, 2011, 03:22:10 PM
True to a degree, but I'm not there yet.  I know too many people in my income group who have nothing to show for all the money they've made because they got suckered into an iverly expensive lifestyle, trying to act richer than they really are.  I'd rather do the opposite.  Read "The Millionaire Next Door."  Conspicupus overconsumption is so 2006..... :lol:

I'm with you there.

dazzleman

Quote from: ifcar on July 10, 2011, 03:23:07 PM
Dazzle, you're mentioning frugality yet buying a luxury car. Perhaps you could "suffer" through a nice mainstream car in the $25,000 range (or less, if you're feeling really adventurous) for errand-running and put that savings over an A6 (plus probably a bit extra, in fairness) toward a zippy fun car for whenever you don't need the extra utility?

Maybe something like a Toyota RAV4 or its ilk as the practical car (more space than a luxury sedan + 4WD) and follow your heart to the other.

Well, I always said my frugality was relative... :lol:

I consider my car to be pretty fun to drive, so I've opted to have the one nice car over a cheaper daily driver plus a second 'toy' car.  I think that's the wiser choice, at least for me.

Keep in mind too that I have relatives with financial problems who might look to 'borrow' my car if I had an extra one just sitting there, since they're always on the knife's edge of keeping a car running.  I'd rather not deal with that either.