Fighting OH Cancer

Started by 2o6, July 09, 2011, 05:57:07 PM

Rupert

BTW, order of operations for making a car perfect are brakes, engine/trans, suspension/steering, weatherproofing, electronics, interior, and finally, the last thing of all, exterior. If you have a timing belt that needs changing, a non-op A/C, etc., those take priority over silly things like spending $Texas on fixing unimportant rust.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Rupert on July 11, 2011, 10:43:23 PM
BTW, order of operations for making a car perfect are brakes, engine/trans, suspension/steering, weatherproofing, electronics, interior, and finally, the last thing of all, exterior. If you have a timing belt that needs changing, a non-op A/C, etc., those take priority over silly things like spending $Texas on fixing unimportant rust.
Pretty scary how a ricer's order of operations for fixing a car is exactly the opposite. :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

2o6

Quote from: Rupert on July 11, 2011, 10:43:23 PM

Timing belt is fine.

Tires are coming soon, and I may buy some SVT Contour wheels to go with it (they're cheap, and since my dad works for Firestone, tires are a lot cheaper)

I do not care about A/C. I've never used it in any car.

Rust seems to be a preventive measure because not only do I want it to look better, I don't want it to be in so bad a shape it's horrible next year.

Quote from: Rupert on July 11, 2011, 10:39:57 PM
It needs a timing belt?!

FUCK THE RUST; DO THE TIMING BELT!

CJ really needs to shut up, since the whole timing belt assembly is fine.

It's gotten to the point where I want to drive down to Plano, TX and beat him up.

No one says any thing to him for buying European exterior accessories for his numerous Volvos.

Rupert

giant_mtb

Remove/reduce the rust as much as you can and buy a bottle of touch-up paint from AutoZone or some shit. It isn't that hard.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Rupert on July 12, 2011, 06:33:05 PM
Define, "fine," for me.

He has no idea if it's been changed or not.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

2o6

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 13, 2011, 07:56:02 AM
Remove/reduce the rust as much as you can and buy a bottle of touch-up paint from AutoZone or some shit. It isn't that hard.

If I get to it, this is likely the route I will take.

giant_mtb

Quote from: 2o6 on July 13, 2011, 01:22:51 PM

If I get to it, this is likely the route I will take.

It won't solve the problem completely, but it will conceal it for the most part for a while.  For a $3 bottle of rust killer and a $5 bottle of touch-up..why not.

Rupert

In other words, what Soup suggested on the first page. ;)

Rupert

Quote from: Secret Chimp on July 13, 2011, 09:14:12 AM
He has no idea if it's been changed or not.

Well, that makes sense.

Ah, wait, no, 2o6, change your damn timing belt!

2o6

Quote from: giant_mtb on July 13, 2011, 02:26:56 PM
It won't solve the problem completely, but it will conceal it for the most part for a while.  For a $3 bottle of rust killer and a $5 bottle of touch-up..why not.

I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. It's at the back of the line in terms of things need to be done.

My tires suck, and my parking brake is totally out. (I have tension in the handle, but since I got new rear shoes, It doesn't even drag on the brakes....)

MrH

Notice how he conveniently ignores all the timing belt posts...:lol:

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

280Z Turbo

I have 137k on the original timing belt. I'll let you know when it snaps.

2o6

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on July 14, 2011, 12:42:58 AM
I have 137k on the original timing belt. I'll let you know when it snaps.

Yeah, this is one reason why I'm not seriously worried.

shp4man

Quote from: 2o6 on July 14, 2011, 11:03:02 AM

Yeah, this is one reason why I'm not seriously worried.

Ya. It's not a valve bender. So it will break. Usually in the middle of the night. Raining. On a date. Then you'll only be out the tow bill. And maybe the impound fee. But hey, no biggie.  :huh:

Which engine does it have? The DOHC or the SPI?

2o6

DOHC. SPI's like dropping valve seats. And they're markedly slower.

2o6

Bumping this thread because I think I may order some POR 15 with my next check.

It seems simple enough....just paint on then prime over? It's a little confusing as to which product I need.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on September 02, 2011, 06:59:06 PM
Bumping this thread because I think I may order some POR 15 with my next check.

It seems simple enough....just paint on then prime over? It's a little confusing as to which product I need.

Brush on the POR right over the rust. Then mask off everything nearby you don't want to get painted (the smaller you make it the less noticeable it'll be). wait for the POR to dry thoroughly, and spray the rust with the right touch up.

You want to just kind of dust the paint onto it, don't try to cover it completely the first time, just a light dusting, wait 15 minutes, then another light dusting: repeat until coverage is complete.

If it ends up being too rough, use some extra fine steel wool to smooth it down.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

Where do I find enough touch up?

Motorcraft sells CD silver, but only in half-ounce little spray thingies.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on September 02, 2011, 07:27:07 PM

I can't paint over that, can I?

No, you didn't even read it. It's a temporary coating. Apply it before winter every year.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on September 02, 2011, 07:26:06 PM
Where do I find enough touch up?

Motorcraft sells CD silver, but only in half-ounce little spray thingies.

Try Dupli-color.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

Starting to count the costs....

- My brother has some phosphoric acid he said I could have

- Do I still need to pick up some POR-15 or similar? Or can I get away with just priming it over then painting it?

- Local bodyshop will make a color match to my car in a spray can for ~$20.....

2o6

I did the phosphoric acid treatment and sprayed and viola! I'm pretty pleased with the results! No one knows except me. It's a little shimmery, but it hasn't totally dried (I did it literally 45 minutes ago) but I'm pleased with the outcome! Obviously, the damage has been done by the rust, but I think it's a nice cover-up.

Before:

After:

Eye of the Tiger

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 05, 2011, 12:10:09 PM
WTF is this shit?

I was trying to figure out a way to make my car look a little nicer.

$30 later, and about 45 minutes worth of work, I have something I'm pleased with.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on October 05, 2011, 12:12:07 PM
I was trying to figure out a way to make my car look a little nicer.

$30 later, and about 45 minutes worth of work, I have something I'm pleased with.

This explains nothing. Did you take a bucket of phosphoric acid and dumb it on your paint job, or what?

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 05, 2011, 12:15:11 PM
This explains nothing. Did you take a bucket of phosphoric acid and dumb it on your paint job, or what?

Oh.

Used phosphoric acid on the open rust patches on the car. Let it dry overnight, then painted up the necessary patches.