Fighting OH Cancer

Started by 2o6, July 09, 2011, 05:57:07 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on October 05, 2011, 12:19:33 PM

Oh.

Used phosphoric acid on the open rust patches on the car. Let it dry overnight, then painted up the necessary patches.

Oh, so you painted over it. So the phosphoric acid doesn't magically match the color of your paint. Now I am disapoint. Still, what exactly did the phosphoric acid do?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 05, 2011, 12:50:55 PM
Oh, so you painted over it. So the phosphoric acid doesn't magically match the color of your paint. Now I am disapoint. Still, what exactly did the phosphoric acid do?

Turns the rust black and etches the metal.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on October 05, 2011, 12:55:26 PM
Turns the rust black and etches the metal.

Oh cool, I guess. Do you have to sand it and wash it off or do you just apply paint? Your post is extremely lacking in details. Don't be a teuton.

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on October 05, 2011, 12:58:40 PM
Oh cool, I guess. Do you have to sand it and wash it off or do you just apply paint? Your post is extremely lacking in details. Don't be a teuton.

I've read that you're supposed to rinse it off, but the paint guy told me I didn't have to.

You could sand down the rust if you want it to be smooth, but the rust areas were so minimal, there was no point in doing so. I'd imagine, you'd rinse then prime, then paint for a nicer finish. But the spots I needed done are so small, that would doing all that would be tedious for something that really only I can see.

It can essentially do this, with a long enough soak and bad enough rust.

Naval jelly is the same thing, but from what I gather it's a lot stronger, which is not always desirable. (you want it to eat the rust, too long and it starts eating the metal)

It's pretty cool; my brother is working on a G-body Grand Prix, and he told me about the stuff.

Eye of the Tiger

Cool. I might have to try that if I buy a rusty car. But I thought naval jelly was for cleaning out your belly button.