Started by mazda6er, September 26, 2005, 05:52:18 PM

GTO or Mustang?

Pontiac GTO
18 (58.1%)
Ford Mustang
13 (41.9%)

Total Members Voted: 29

ifcar

It doesn't. But changing the subject is a good way to "win" a discussion if you don't have supporting facts,

SJ_GTI

QuoteIt doesn't. But changing the subject is a good way to "win" a discussion if you don't have supporting facts,
Good point.

Does this mean you cede the point that I did "win" though?  

SJ_GTI

(for everyone that isn't Ifcar, I am making fun of him because his opinion is about as useless as a...well...a Kia Rio. No point in trying to "prove" the GTO doesn't handle badly to someone that considers the Kia Rio a better car than the Civic or Cobalt)

Raghavan

Quote(for everyone that isn't Ifcar, I am making fun of him because his opinion is about as useless as a...well...a Kia Rio. No point in trying to "prove" the GTO doesn't handle badly to someone that considers the Kia Rio a better car than the Civic or Cobalt)
:lol:  

footoflead

QuoteIt doesn't. But changing the subject is a good way to "win" a discussion if you don't have supporting facts,
Good point.

ummm...No
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

ifcar

Quote(for everyone that isn't Ifcar, I am making fun of him because his opinion is about as useless as a...well...a Kia Rio. No point in trying to "prove" the GTO doesn't handle badly to someone that considers the Kia Rio a better car than the Civic or Cobalt)
Did I say better car? No, a better car for the money. Have you driven the 06 Rio, it's a surprisingly nice little subcompact.

And the GTO does not handle well for a sporty coupe. I stand by that. Prove me wrong.  

ifcar

Good point.

Absolutely, you "won." "Congratulations".  :rockon:  

footoflead

Did I say better car? No, a better car for the money. Have you driven the 06 Rio, it's a surprisingly nice little subcompact.

And the GTO does not handle well for a sporty coupe. I stand by that. Prove me wrong.
Me too :angry:  :angry: <---Determination!

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

footoflead

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

SJ_GTI

QuoteAnd the GTO does not handle well for a sporty coupe. I stand by that.
Gotcha.

I think "The Phantom" and Napoleon over on C&D would disagree with you. Former owners of an RSX and WS6 Trans Am respectively. Pardon me if their opinions are a little more valuable on the subject than yours. Not to mention Jeremy Clarkson...who isn't exactly known for liking cars that "handle poorly."

This isn't a subject that is "provable" though. You have your opinion and I am sure come hell or high water you will stick to it. Congrats.

To me its just one more reason not to take your reviews seriously.

SJ_GTI

Right...coming from a guy that thinks the Mustang is both faster and handles better than the GTO...

At least Ifcar is in a grey area (he never really compared the GTO to another car...for all I know his standard for a "sporty coupe" is the Exige). You just make shit up as you go along.

ifcar

Gotcha.

I think "The Phantom" and Napoleon over on C&D would disagree with you. Former owners of an RSX and WS6 Trans Am respectively. Pardon me if their opinions are a little more valuable on the subject than yours. Not to mention Jeremy Clarkson...who isn't exactly known for liking cars that "handle poorly."

This isn't a subject that is "provable" though. You have your opinion and I am sure come hell or high water you will stick to it. Congrats.

Changing the subject again. I don't care who disagrees, I'm interested in WHY. Care to post their reasoning, and why you agree with it?

SJ_GTI

Gotcha.

Changing the subject again. I don't care who disagrees, I'm interested in WHY. Care to post their reasoning, and why you agree with it?
There is no standard to prove you wrong Ifcar.

The GTO handles as well or better than most of its competition. If that isn't good enough for you...oh well I guess. I don't really care if you agree or not.

ifcar

QuoteAt least Ifcar is in a grey area (he never really compared the GTO to another car...for all I know his standard for a "sporty coupe" is the Exige).
An excellent-handling sporty coupe would be the RX8 or 350Z. Very good would be something like a G35C. Decent would be Mustang or Crossfire.

Happy?

SJ_GTI

QuoteAt least Ifcar is in a grey area (he never really compared the GTO to another car...for all I know his standard for a "sporty coupe" is the Exige).
An excellent-handling sporty coupe would be the RX8 or 350Z. Very good would be something like a G35C. Decent would be Mustang or Crossfire.

Happy?
As a clam.

ifcar

Gotcha.

There is no standard to prove you wrong Ifcar.

The GTO handles as well or better than most of its competition. If that isn't good enough for you...oh well I guess. I don't really care if you agree or not.
In on-road driving, the GTO has slower responses. Maybe it's better on a track, but I couldn't care less about how it behaves there. Is that the crux of your argument, that handling under normal conditions only represents a small part of handling overall.  

SJ_GTI

Goodnight Ifcar! Sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite.  :praise:  

footoflead

Right...coming from a guy that thinks the Mustang is both faster and handles better than the GTO...

At least Ifcar is in a grey area (he never really compared the GTO to another car...for all I know his standard for a "sporty coupe" is the Exige). You just make shit up as you go along.
:rolleyes:  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raghavan

:rolleyes:
It's true.  

footoflead

QuoteYou just make shit up as you go along.
When did i make shit up, granted some of it was my opinion which is a little biased (Everyone's is) but when did it make "shit" up?

Feel free to PM me  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Run Away

I want to point out that the only reason the GTO got a 7/10 on the transmission score was because the pedals are placed so that heel-toe shifts are impossibe, not that the 6 speed is an inferior tranny to the Mustang unit.

Run Away

:ph34r:  

mazda6er

QuoteI want to point out that the only reason the GTO got a 7/10 on the transmission score was because the pedals are placed so that heel-toe shifts are impossibe, not that the 6 speed is an inferior tranny to the Mustang unit.
I sat in a GTO, and I thought the pedals where pretty close together, but I didn't really mess around with them at all.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

SJ_GTI

QuoteYou just make shit up as you go along.
When did i make shit up, granted some of it was my opinion which is a little biased (Everyone's is) but when did it make "shit" up?

Feel free to PM me
No need for PM's, just go re-read my posts again. Its all in there.

SJ_GTI

QuoteI want to point out that the only reason the GTO got a 7/10 on the transmission score was because the pedals are placed so that heel-toe shifts are impossibe, not that the 6 speed is an inferior tranny to the Mustang unit.
The throws are longer and the engagement is also a bit mushier.

That being said everything is relative. The Mustang's transmission will never be as nice as say an RSX transmission simply because its got to be a heavier duty transmission to handle the V8.

ifcar

It's much less precise than several other sporty coupes', but as MTL said, it needs to be heavier-duty to handle the extra engine you get over them.  

Raza

While I have not driven the new Mustang yet, I have now driven two GTOs, an LS1 6 speed and an LS2 4 speed, and while the steering isn't amazing and the brakes feel soft, I'd say the car handles fairly well, in my "professional" opinion.  

I'd have to say it's the better car, and even if I'm spending the money, I would actually probably get it, though without the hood scoops.  

Damn.  I'm too conflicted on this one.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Ron From Regina

My decision was easy. They don't sell the GTO in Canada due to it not passing Canadian crash tests.

I briefly considered the Magnum RT, but since it didn't come in a manual, it was eliminated pretty quick.

Fire It Up

QuoteWhile I have not driven the new Mustang yet, I have now driven two GTOs, an LS1 6 speed and an LS2 4 speed, and while the steering isn't amazing and the brakes feel soft, I'd say the car handles fairly well, in my "professional" opinion. 

I'd have to say it's the better car, and even if I'm spending the money, I would actually probably get it, though without the hood scoops. 

Damn.  I'm too conflicted on this one.
Are you kiddin? The scoops keep it from looking all too conservative.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Tom

Aftermarket pedals??  That's an easy fix, though the pedals might be large and cubmersome.