Started by mazda6er, September 26, 2005, 05:52:18 PM

GTO or Mustang?

Pontiac GTO
18 (58.1%)
Ford Mustang
13 (41.9%)

Total Members Voted: 29

mazda6er

It's muscle car time! Let the games begin. (The post title is a variation of a "Ghostbusters" quote for those who aren't privy to that info.)  :D
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

The Mustang is the value leader, and the GTO doesn't handle all that well, but I went with the Pontiac. Much nicer interior (seats and quality) and more power, and it isn't much more comparably-equipped.

I'm assuming this is V8 vs. V8 though, otherwise I'd go with a base Mustang V6 and save $11,000 or so.  

Fire It Up

QuoteThe Mustang is the value leader, and the GTO doesn't handle all that well, but I went with the Pontiac. Much nicer interior (seats and quality) and more power, and it isn't much more comparably-equipped.

I'm assuming this is V8 vs. V8 though, otherwise I'd go with a base Mustang V6 and save $11,000 or so.
So like ifcar. :lol:

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

mazda6er

QuoteThe Mustang is the value leader, and the GTO doesn't handle all that well, but I went with the Pontiac. Much nicer interior (seats and quality) and more power, and it isn't much more comparably-equipped.

C'mon man. Let's assume they're both loaded.  :P  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Fire It Up

Mustang, because its aftermaket is hot and they got a few good body mods.

like that!

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Raghavan

Goat because it looks like a cavalier.

MX793

Mustang.  The GTO is a really nice car, but I'm a sucker for the classic Mustang styling cues.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

mazda6er

QuoteMustang, because its aftermaket is hot and they got a few good body mods.

like that!
That's a bit much Steve.  :D  
--Mark

ifcar

I had, I didn't vote Mustang.

For the record though, at $30K, I wouldn't buy either.  

mazda6er

I had, I didn't vote Mustang.

For the record though, at $30K, I wouldn't buy either.
If you had $30k you wanted to spend, neither is a bad choice, depending on personal taste of course.
--Mark

ifcar

First of all, I cannot ever see myself spending $30,000 on a car. And even if I did, it would be something used.  

mazda6er

You can buy one hell of a used car for $30K.
--Mark

ifcar

I'd never spend that much anyway. I can't see ever going over $10k not counting inflation, and probably won't go past $7K.  

Run Away

Raghavan

QuoteI'd never spend that much anyway. I can't see ever going over $10k not counting inflation, and probably won't go past $7K.
In your whole lifetime??? :o  

footoflead

Mustang, Because i'm a die hard mustang fan, and always will be,
1. there's a great after market for them
2. Both the older models and newer look good (with a few exceptions in the middle)
3. Even my dads V6 kicks @$$

I like the GTO, but if i had the choice, i would have to go with the mustang B)

Need i say more :praise:  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

ifcar

QuoteI'd never spend that much anyway. I can't see ever going over $10k not counting inflation, and probably won't go past $7K.
Why should I need to? Cheap cars are getting better and better, there is great selection under $7,000.  

footoflead

Why should I need to? Cheap cars are getting better and better, there is great selection under $7,000.
I sure hope so, since 7K so the most my parents will spend on my first car (if they ever get me one :rolleyes: )

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raghavan

I sure hope so, since 7K so the most my parents will spend on my first car (if they ever get me one :rolleyes: )
There are lots of great, RWD cars for under $7k. :praise:  

footoflead

Right now my lists consists of

Datsun 240Z/280Z something along those lines-sean would be proud :praise:
RX7
Miata :crossing fingers:
1st gen MR2-sure their a little boxy, but there pretty damn fast
and it just goes on and on

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raghavan

Right now my lists consists of

Datsun 240Z/280Z something along those lines-sean would be proud :praise:
RX7
Miata :crossing fingers:
1st gen MR2-sure their a little boxy, but there pretty damn fast
and it just goes on and on
There ya go. :praise:  

Tom

Such a hard choice.  I'll go with the GTO for now for sleeper looks and a better engine, but that could easily change.

Raza

This is a toughie.  The GTO is clearly the more mature, more stylish, faster and better handling car, but the Mustang is cheaper, nearly as fast, and the "it" car right now.  It handles fairly well, and modifications are easy and cheap.  With an MRT supercharger, you'd have spent less money than the GTO and gotten more power in a lighter package.

I love the GTO, but honestly, I have to go with the lighter car that's a better value.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Run Away

You guys praising the Mustang aftermarket don't realize that the GTO aftermarket is also quite large, almost as big. Especially for the engine (I'd wager it's just as if not bigger).

footoflead

QuoteYou guys praising the Mustang aftermarket don't realize that the GTO aftermarket is also quite large, almost as big. Especially for the engine (I'd wager it's just as if not bigger).
:shrug: it might be as large, but i dont think its as tested and proven...

And as several people already said, with just a few mods the mustang is more powerful and lighter and better handling, etc

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Run Away

As tested and proven?

The '05 is basically a clean slate design (sure it's based on the LS/S type/Tbird, but still modified a bit).

The Holden Monaro's platform has been around, relatively unchanged since '97 at least. The LS series of V8 engines has been around for much longer too.

You're seriously think that?

93JC

Quote(The post title is a variation of a "Ghostbusters" quote for those who aren't privy to that info.)  :D
"This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions."
"What do you mean, biblical?"
"What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor... real Wrath-of-God-type stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies."
"Rivers and seas boiling!"
"Forty years of darkness, earthquakes, volcanos."
"The dead rising from the grave!"
"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats, living together... mass hysteria!"

:lol:  

Raghavan

Quote(The post title is a variation of a "Ghostbusters" quote for those who aren't privy to that info.)  :D
"This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions."
"What do you mean, biblical?"
"What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor... real Wrath-of-God-type stuff. Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies."
"Rivers and seas boiling!"
"Forty years of darkness, earthquakes, volcanos."
"The dead rising from the grave!"
"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats, living together... mass hysteria!"

:lol:
how do you know all this stuff? :blink:  

93JC

I've seen Ghostbusters about a bajillion times.

Raghavan

QuoteI've seen Ghostbusters about a bajillion times.
I see. What was that movie you said was really good? Goonies?