What the Panamera should have been (4 door hatch rendering... please help 2o6)

Started by sportyaccordy, July 23, 2011, 07:04:51 PM

sportyaccordy

Here's how far I got with this today:

I have a sketch of what it's supposed to look like... but I can't find it digitally.

2o6

2o6

They'll probably like yours better, it's more to what the forum likes, RWD proportions and a big engine.

Typically, I cheat by using modifiers.

But you should use the "mirror" modifier to get the car at least looking like a whole car (in two halves)

2o6

Onslaught

You could take a dump on your computer and it look better then the real Panamera.

sportyaccordy

Yea I only did one half because I figured there was some command to do a mirror image. Makes no sense to try and get it symmetric.

I do building models, really mainly in 2D, so I kind of know my way around rendering. But 3D is a whole different beast. This one was like my 5th try, and even still there is a lot of stuff I know to do next time. The nose for example is a complete mess, I needlessly knifed and diced it up. There's a lot of stuff I still need to learn how to do- for example I know how to add vertices but I don't know how to remove them without removing faces, etc. But yea I definitely enjoy it.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: Onslaught on July 23, 2011, 07:29:26 PM
You could take a dump on your computer and it look better then the real Panamera.
That was actually my first rendering

2o6

Creating it vertex by vertex is a horrible way to go about it.

The RACER forum made a really good tutorial, let me see if I can find it.

sportyaccordy

Oh no no no I didn't do that. I started with the cube, extruded it to the size I needed and knifed/split it as I needed. Link that shit up though.

2o6

Knife and split is also not a good way, in most cases.

Start with one plane, (the side) and subdivide a couple of times until you get a few vertexes to outline the profile of the car.

cawimmer430

No offense, but that looks like it has the side profile of a current Dodge Charger sedan.  :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

sportyaccordy

I started another one with a whole different method. Much more precise & clean, but it will prob take a couple of days. This is a lot of fun though... I have always loved drawing, but things got to the point where my ideas outpaced my talents. So now I can draw all the engines and suspensions and shit I think about, actually pretty easily

Payman

This guy is having this design built by Factory Five. He rendered the design on his home computer. Are you guys using some kind of obsolete program, or ??? ( I'll leave it there, because truth be told, I still play with MSPaint.)

Payman

Quote from: cawimmer430 on July 24, 2011, 02:09:28 AM
No offense, but that looks like it has the side profile of a current Dodge Charger sedan.  :lol:

I was thinking 240SX or Mazda MX6.

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on July 24, 2011, 07:49:11 PM
This guy is having this design built by Factory Five. He rendered the design on his home computer. Are you guys using some kind of obsolete program, or ??? ( I'll leave it there, because truth be told, I still play with MSPaint.)

That looks like a drawing.

Blender 3D is free, where Maya and others cost hundreds of dollars.

sportyaccordy

I have a friend who does 3D for a living who can get me Maya etc. Debating making the switch, he says 3D Max is 100x better.

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 25, 2011, 04:40:58 AM
I have a friend who does 3D for a living who can get me Maya etc. Debating making the switch, he says 3D Max is 100x better.

It is.

But it's so much more expensive.

sportyaccordy

Alright here is where I am with the do-over. I kind of have control now.

How do I make wheelz & windows? And how do I get it to where I can smooth it out and paint it and shit?

A biggie I don't know how to do is make faces/edges with existing vertices. I.e. for the windshield, I would connect the vertices on the roof with the vertices on the hood, and make em transparent/glossy. But I don't know how to do any of that. Throw me a bone 2o6

2o6

Send me the model, I can clean it up a little for you.

(I'll send you a set of wheels if you want)

2o6

But I can tell you right now, you need a few columns of faces. The roofline vertices and the rocker vertices don't add up and the rocker shape doesn't look to be connected to the door.

The roof also has too few verticies (not a billion, but equal amount of that on the hood and the roof).

The front to about the top of the front wheel arch looks pretty OK, but the polygon cut will not make for good reflections. You can accomplish the same shape with fewer polygons. Also, use a circle (shift>object> circle) for making round arches. The ones you made look handmade.

Good start, though. Far better than my first start.

2o6

How the heck do you have 60,000 faces? That whole car in the other thread has 17,000 faces, and that is including four wheels and seats.

sportyaccordy

http://www.zshare.net/download/930212248e42418e/

Tell me what you do to clean it up. Commands, all that shit.

2o6

Quote from: sportyaccordy on July 26, 2011, 08:05:58 PM
http://www.zshare.net/download/930212248e42418e/

Tell me what you do to clean it up. Commands, all that shit.

Start over.

Seriously.....There are tons and tons of edges that have been made faces.....

This tutorial is geared for getting a car ready for a game, but it's good none the less. You don't even need all four views. You can use a side profile as the basis for your model.

sportyaccordy

Can you upload that to like Limelinx or something? I don't wanna register.