My comparison: Midsize/large crossovers

Started by ifcar, July 25, 2011, 12:41:49 PM

ifcar

QuoteFor families looking for a large family vehicle with three rows of seats, it's hard to beat the space and practicality of a minivan. If you can stomach a van's image, you can pretty safely stop reading and head over to last month's comparison of minivans.

But maybe you want all-wheel-drive, which only one van (the Toyota Sienna) presently offers.

Or perhaps you want smaller exterior dimensions than today's less-than-svelte minivans, but still three rows of usable seats with more passenger and cargo room than half-size-smaller Dodge Journey or Kia Sorento.

And even if it's just the look and the image of today's pleasant and practical crossover SUVs that's winning you away from the sliding-door sect, there is a wide range of models with a different set of strengths and weaknesses...

Continued at link:

http://www.examiner.com/cars-in-national/comparison-review-eight-three-row-crossover-suvs-introduction

In an experiment, I've changed the format of the comparison slightly from the past ones: Instead of releasing the ranking order bit by bit, I'll be releasing steadily increasing level of detail:

Today, the ranking is published in the slideshow, with a one-sentence explanation. (Constrained to a 255-character limit.)

Tomorrow, I'll put up what's normally the last thing to be published: the discussion of how the models rank in different areas (comfort/luxury, value, etc).

And only after that will I put up the full reviews, still one at a time.

Thoughts on whether this system is an improvement will be welcome.

68_427

Durango and Flex are my favorite.  If I was in the market I probably wouldn't consider any of the others.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

93JC

2o6

93JC

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on July 26, 2011, 01:22:36 PM
Lowers the cupholder-to-seat ratio.

Unless I read it wrong, he marked the CX-9 down for seating eight when the competitors seat seven.

To me, that's a plus, especially in the rear; those two seat 3rd rows can be kinda narrow.

93JC

If a two-seat third row is narrow, what does that make a three-seat third row?

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on July 26, 2011, 01:25:07 PM
If a two-seat third row is narrow, what does that make a three-seat third row?

Wide enough to accommodate three people. The seatback itself is wider, which makes it slightly more comfortable.

MrH

He's basically saying: "I like a third seat so my fat ass can roll over into it"

I'd just prefer having a wider seat to begin with :huh::lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: MrH on July 26, 2011, 01:33:49 PM
He's basically saying: "I like a third seat so my fat ass can roll over into it"

Pretty much.

I love laying across the 3rd seat in the back on long trips.

ifcar

Quote from: 2o6 on July 26, 2011, 01:23:57 PM

Unless I read it wrong, he marked the CX-9 down for seating eight when the competitors seat seven.

To me, that's a plus, especially in the rear; those two seat 3rd rows can be kinda narrow.

The CX-9 doesn't seat eight.

SVT666

I'm still working on my review of the Taurus, but does the Explorer suffer the same "Interior is not as big as the outside suggests" problem?

ifcar

Quote from: SVT666 on July 26, 2011, 03:42:21 PM
I'm still working on my review of the Taurus, but does the Explorer suffer the same "Interior is not as big as the outside suggests" problem?

A bit, mostly in cargo specs. Some people might wider front seats. But it's not nearly as bad as the Taurus.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

ifcar

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Eye of the Tiger

ifcar

Yeah, these are all a half-size to a size up from that. Perhaps at some point I'll do the two-rowers -- Edge, Murano, Venza, Grand Cherokee, 4Runner.

r0tor

68_427

Quote from: r0tor on July 26, 2011, 05:28:17 PM
"midsize" really is 2 useful rows...

The soon to be Grand Wagoneer would be in this class, not the GC.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

ifcar

Quote from: r0tor on July 26, 2011, 05:28:17 PM
"midsize" really is 2 useful rows...

The Pilot is three useful rows but barely bigger than the Grand Cherokee. Competitors of widely varying physical size are offering the same passenger space at the same price, from the jumbo-size Traverse to the space-efficient Pilot. It wouldn't make sense to separate them based on size, or to call the Pilot "full-size" when it's not even as long as an Accord.

ifcar

Eighth place: Toyota Highlander

QuoteWhen Toyota introduced the first Highlander in 2001, there wasn't much competition for something that looked like an SUV yet drove like a Camry.

Ford, Dodge and Honda midsize SUVs were still more trucks than cars; Mazda and Hyundai hadn't entered the market yet. General Motors would soon roll out the Buick Rendezvous as the first three-row ?crossover? SUV, but execution problems would keep it from making a splash.

Since then, of course, the midsize SUV market has changed dramatically. All of the above automakers are now fielding comfortable car-like models with passably roomy interiors for seven or even eight passengers. Toyota, however, is not.

Continued at link:
http://www.examiner.com/cars-in-national/comparison-review-eight-three-row-crossover-suvs-eighth-place

Atomic

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on July 26, 2011, 04:33:35 PM
No third row.
that is correct. the durango is an extended length "close relative" of the jeep grand cherokee (JGC). it has been a while since there was a thread containing the announcement of a confirmed three row jeep version now expected to be offered in 2012 as a 2013 model to be called jeep grand wagoneer (JGW). rumor has it that it will differ significantly from the JGC warranting the return of the once beloved JGW.

ifcar

Eighth. Did you stop reading at the "comfort/luxury" section?

ifcar

Seventh place: Hyundai Veracruz

QuoteWith Lexus-inspired curves, a smooth and quiet V6 and a carefully finished interior, the Veracruz is pitched as a luxury SUV that undercuts the prices of competing mainstream models.

Rather, it's an aging model that still has a few key strong points, but that lacks the overall design polish to compete with the class's best and that doesn't have a sufficient price advantage to offset its shortcomings...

Continued at link:
http://www.examiner.com/cars-in-national/comparison-review-eight-three-row-crossover-suvs-seventh-place