random tire pressure question

Started by Vinsanity, August 02, 2011, 10:25:25 AM

Vinsanity

So about a week ago, I had a fresh set of tires installed on the Caddy. 255/35/20. The guy at the shop inflated them to 30 psi, which seems pretty low for a low-profile 20" tire, considering the original weaksauce 16" wheels from the factory had tires inflated to 27 psi. I'm concerned this time around because that same shop that installed my tires said that one of my old tires were damaged from driving on low air pressure.

Anyone know off the bat what the proper air pressure should be for a 255/35/20 tire? I kept the old tires at 40 psi, but I just found out that too much air pressure can damage the rim during the event of a pothole impact, which is exactly what brings me to where I am now. Halp!

hotrodalex

Byteme

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 02, 2011, 10:25:25 AM
So about a week ago, I had a fresh set of tires installed on the Caddy. 255/35/20. The guy at the shop inflated them to 30 psi, which seems pretty low for a low-profile 20" tire, considering the original weaksauce 16" wheels from the factory had tires inflated to 27 psi. I'm concerned this time around because that same shop that installed my tires said that one of my old tires were damaged from driving on low air pressure.

Anyone know off the bat what the proper air pressure should be for a 255/35/20 tire? I kept the old tires at 40 psi, but I just found out that too much air pressure can damage the rim during the event of a pothole impact, which is exactly what brings me to where I am now. Halp!

I'd be inclined to contact Tire Rack and ask them for their recommendation. Be prepared to give them information on the car, wheel size (diameter and rim width) and tire make and size.

Vinsanity

Thanks for the suggestions. Luckily, I did happen to order the tires from Tire Rack, so I emailed the sales rep assigned to my order. He responded in saying that the tires should be inflated to the manufacturer's O.E. specs, regardless of wheel/tire size, as long as it meets engineering criteria, etc. For my car, this happens to be 33 psi. Incidentally, I'll probably need to fill the gas tank tomorrow, so good opportunity to put a little bit more air in the tires.

93JC

Go by what the manufacturer says on the sticker in the driver's door jamb.

40 psi is way too high.

Vinsanity

Quote from: 93JC on August 02, 2011, 03:07:12 PM
Go by what the manufacturer says on the sticker in the driver's door jamb.

40 psi is way too high.

last time I ever make that mistake :banghead:

for some reason, I thought that low-profile tires needed higher air pressure than normal ones.

93JC

33 psi in a low profile tire is the same as 33 psi in a tire with more sidewall. :tounge:

hotrodalex

Low profile tires don't need more pressure, but you have to make sure they stay at the recommended pressure and don't get low.

cawimmer430

You what annoys me about BMW owners manual? They don't tell you what oil your car uses and they don't tell you what tire pressure you're supposed to have in your car with different driving styles. The last time the 118i needed oil (warning light) I had to stop at a gas station and make a complete fool of myself by asking the hot chick cashier what oil a gasoline BMW 1er needs.  :facepalm:

In our Mercedes' manuals they tell you loud and clear which oil your car requires and what your tire pressure should be if you tend to drive alone or with another person onboard or with three people and luggage etc. Various scenarious are presented and the appropriate tire pressure. Now that's great information.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Vinsanity

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 03, 2011, 06:30:56 AM
You what annoys me about BMW owners manual? They don't tell you what oil your car uses and they don't tell you what tire pressure you're supposed to have in your car with different driving styles. The last time the 118i needed oil (warning light) I had to stop at a gas station and make a complete fool of myself by asking the hot chick cashier what oil a gasoline BMW 1er needs.  :facepalm:

You could totally have used that as a flirting opportunity.

"You see that hot little Bimmer out there? That right there is my baby, and you seem like just the right kinda lady that can help me out..." :winkguy:

Raza

I don't think that's a generalization any of us can make.  My Passat's tires were 35, my Jetta's are 35, my Benz was 29.  195/65/15, 225/40/17, 215/55/16.  There's no pattern there. 

My brother's S4 takes 40 on 19".
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 03, 2011, 09:34:41 AM
You could totally have used that as a flirting opportunity.

"You see that hot little Bimmer out there? That right there is my baby, and you seem like just the right kinda lady that can help me out..." :winkguy:

You should write a book on "automotive dating/pick-up lines".  :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

AutobahnSHO

My subie uses 32psi front, 30psi rear on little 14in rims. :huh:
The Sienna is the same front/back but I don't remember what it was (that's what the stickers are for). Low 30s.
Will

AltinD

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 03, 2011, 06:30:56 AM

In our Mercedes' manuals they tell you loud and clear which oil your car requires and what your tire pressure should be if you tend to drive alone or with another person onboard or with three people and luggage etc. Various scenarious are presented and the appropriate tire pressure. Now that's great information.

Have you checked the fuel door? Most probably the sticker with the tire pressure recomandation would be there ... or perhaps on the side of the driver's door.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

S204STi

The only time you need to worry about bumping the pressure up is to compensate for tires which have a lower load capacity than OE spec, or if you're trying to tune the handling of the car.  I would check the load rating of each tire (in terms of lbs/tire) and compare to the placard.  If they're lower, Tire Rack does have a chart showing you what pressures to run in order to compensate.

S204STi

Ah, this chart is based more on high-speed driving, but it still may be useful to you:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=72

Laconian

I think the reason they specify the oil and tire inflation specs on a sticker and not in the manual is because they don't want to have to print a different manual for every configuration.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

S204STi

Or have a wall of info in the manual for every available configuration. 

AltinD

Quote from: S204STi on December 24, 2012, 11:21:22 PM
Or have a wall of info in the manual for every available configuration. 

Not convinient when the car is avbailable with like 10 different engines, as many European cars are.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AltinD on December 25, 2012, 09:31:00 AM
Not convinient when the car is avbailable with like 10 different engines, as many European cars are.

I like choices. I may want a 1.0L 3-cyl turbodiesel in one midsize sedan, and a 3.0L V12 in my other one.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

TurboDan

S204STi

If you want to get really technical about this you can get a tire pyrometer cand use that to determine correct tire pressure.

Soup DeVille

pressure that's slightly too high is less likely to damage the rim than pressure that's slightly too low.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AltinD on December 25, 2012, 09:31:00 AM

No, its much better to fill that manual up with vital information like "how to open the glovebox."
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AltinD

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 06, 2013, 04:13:53 PM
No, its much better to fill that manual up with vital information like "how to open the glovebox."
So what if you have a dosens different rims that can be equipped with dozens types of tires? What's wrong with a sticker on the actual vehicle?

MX793

Quote from: Laconian on December 24, 2012, 01:23:30 PM
I think the reason they specify the oil and tire inflation specs on a sticker and not in the manual is because they don't want to have to print a different manual for every configuration.

Pretty sure both of my manuals are all written for all configurations of the vehicles.  They have tables with oil and fuel requirements (and general specs) for different engines.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rupert

You assume people know which engine their car has.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Rupert on February 03, 2013, 02:32:04 PM
You assume people know which engine their car has.

or how to read. or that there is even a manual.
Will

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on February 06, 2013, 10:43:20 AM
or how to read. or that there is even a manual.

Manual? Is that the kind you have to shift? Yeah, it's a manual. It's right next to D.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)