Top 10 Cars of the Past 50 Years: Try to Guess First

Started by Atomic, August 03, 2011, 06:38:47 AM

SVT666

Quote from: Atomic on August 04, 2011, 06:33:30 PM
let's not forget the stylish chrysler's and imperial's of pre-1980 eras. i love the '75 chrysler cordoba, as just one of many really handsome cars.
We had a 1978 just like this one:

If I had the money, this is what I would do with it too:

SVT666

On that list I have had two of them.  I currently own a 2007 Explorer that we absolutely love (my parents also had a 1991 and a 1994), and I have had three Mustangs which I absolutely loved.

GoCougs

I guessed #1 correctly. There were times in the '60s the Impala was easily selling 500,000+ units a year and in 1965 it topped 1,000,000 units, the single largest sales year for an automobile ever in the US; a record that still stands today. To put things in perspective, best as I can tell, that is equivalent to selling 4,000,000+ units a year in 2011. It simply boggles the mind.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Atomic on August 04, 2011, 06:33:30 PM
let's not forget the stylish chrysler's and imperial's of pre-1980 eras. i love the '75 chrysler cordoba, as just one of many really handsome cars.

Oh yeah!

I'd so tap them!  :rockon:

:wub:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Atomic

SVT666, cool! that was its signature color. when the revised model came out abandoning the two-sized dual front light treatment, people grew angry. no unlike jeep loyalists when the wrangler switched from more traditional round headlights to more contemporary square ones. jeep quickly listened. for the cordoba and dodge magnum (dodge version)? the oil crises of the 70s killed them off.

Atomic

in the era of enormous cheverolet impala sales, many people were extremely faithful to their brand. there were "chevy guys" and "ford guys"... then "the dodge boys" joined in. moving up from chevy to a buick (for example) was a sign of success...

shp4man

This was a good solid car. The year before it was more attractive, though.
'65

'64

Atomic

cawimmer430

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Atomic

damn nice fords, especially in sedan forms. one of my favorite wagons of all time is the chrysler town & country (wagon, not minivan) of the early to mid 70's.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Atomic on August 07, 2011, 08:11:51 AM
damn nice fords, especially in sedan forms. one of my favorite wagons of all time is the chrysler town & country (wagon, not minivan) of the early to mid 70's.

I wish I lived through the '70s and '80s so I could enjoy these cars.  :rockon:

Cars today are so plain and boring and designed by politicians!  :cry:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Atomic

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 07, 2011, 08:17:37 AM
I wish I lived through the '70s and '80s so I could enjoy these cars.  :rockon:

Cars today are so plain and boring and designed by politicians!  :cry:

you got that right, and those dramatic changes ever year or two for many vehicles of those eras. seems like cars being built today (i.e., chevrolet impala) grow far too old without more dramatic changes between intro to the next generation automobile.

dazzleman

Oh man, these pictures are making me nostalgic.

The car I used when I took driver's ed in 1978 was an LTD II.

My grandparents (dad's parents) had a beautiful 1956 Ford Fairlaine and a 1965 Ford Galaxie 500.  We ended up with both of them.  I also got a 1971 Mercury Montego from my other grandmother, a sister car to the Torino.  My parents owned a 1968 Torino and a 1975 Country Squire.  This Is a trip down memory lane.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Atomic

Quote from: dazzleman on August 07, 2011, 09:24:02 AM
Oh man, these pictures are making me nostalgic.

The car I used when I took driver's ed in 1978 was an LTD II.

My grandparents (dad's parents) had a beautiful 1956 Ford Fairlaine and a 1965 Ford Galaxie 500.  We ended up with both of them.  I also got a 1971 Mercury Montego from my other grandmother, a sister car to the Torino.  My parents owned a 1968 Torino and a 1975 Country Squire.  This Is a trip down memory lane.
my parents (old enough to be my grandparents... married late) had a 1966 ford fairlaine 500... not certain if the "500" was a special edition of the fairlaine, as i am more accustomed to reading about the ever popular galaxy 500. my parents also had a super cool 1973 plymouth satellite sebring. it is fond thoughts of "those day" that i love the chrysler 300 so much: RWD, V8 (even though the plymouth at least was a "slant 6". not certain about the '66 ford.

dazzleman

Quote from: Atomic on August 07, 2011, 10:23:29 AM
my parents (old enough to be my grandparents... married late) had a 1966 ford fairlaine 500... not certain if the "500" was a special edition of the fairlaine, as i am more accustomed to reading about the ever popular galaxy 500. my parents also had a super cool 1973 plymouth satellite sebring. it is fond thoughts of "those day" that i love the chrysler 300 so much: RWD, V8 (even though the plymouth at least was a "slant 6". not certain about the '66 ford.

I didn't realize they were still making the Fairlaine in 1966.

I loved our '56 Fairlaine, that we got from my grandparents.  The ignition key was on the left of the steering wheel.  It was big and rounded, and I think as it got older, it had a hole in the floor from rust.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

cawimmer430

Quote from: Atomic on August 07, 2011, 09:11:40 AM
you got that right, and those dramatic changes ever year or two for many vehicles of those eras. seems like cars being built today (i.e., chevrolet impala) grow far too old without more dramatic changes between intro to the next generation automobile.

Yep. I miss the "outrageousness and kitsch" these older cars had compared to the safe and sound new stuff.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

3.0L V6

Quote from: dazzleman on August 07, 2011, 12:07:19 PM
I didn't realize they were still making the Fairlaine in 1966.

I loved our '56 Fairlaine, that we got from my grandparents.  The ignition key was on the left of the steering wheel.  It was big and rounded, and I think as it got older, it had a hole in the floor from rust.

The '66 Fairlane was an intermediate, not a full size car. It had been downsized in 1962 and was produced until 1970.

I also rode in a car that had a rusted through passenger side wheel well - an early '80s Buick Skyhawk, IIRC. If you pushed down with your feet on the floorboard, you could see the road. We called it the Flintstones car.

Atomic

i love the 70s era plymouth fury series (fury I, fury II, fury III, fury grand sedan -- did i miss any?) i recall one, believed to be approximately a '73-75 with a very faint patterned vinyl roof... a paisley-like style, i think. sounds awful but it looked awesome. someone in the neighborhood had one in a gorgeous brown with what i recall having a tannish a slightly lighter brown vinyl roof with this subtle detailing.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Atomic on August 07, 2011, 01:13:48 PM
i love the 70s era plymouth fury series (fury I, fury II, fury III, fury grand sedan -- did i miss any?) i recall one, believed to be approximately a '73-75 with a very faint patterned vinyl roof... a paisley-like style, i think. sounds awful but it looked awesome. someone in the neighborhood had one in a gorgeous brown with what i recall having a tannish a slightly lighter brown vinyl roof with this subtle detailing.

Those are so sexy! I love the wagons and sedans!  :wub:

One of my dream cars.  :wub:

WANT!  :rockon:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Atomic

^ WOW... some gorgeous cars... but the "hubcaps" on the wagon with "hidden lights" take a lot away, eh?

cawimmer430

Quote from: Atomic on August 07, 2011, 03:45:36 PM
^ WOW... some gorgeous cars... but the "hubcaps" on the wagon with "hidden lights" take a lot away, eh?

You're right. It needs 22" bling bling chrome rims with spinnerz! :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 04, 2011, 08:55:55 PM
Would you own any classic car? (pre-1972, and don't say Porsche 911)

Yeah.  Loads of old British roadsters appeal.  Giant American boats, no.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Atomic

Atomic

Quote from: Raza  on August 08, 2011, 09:38:16 AM
Yeah.  Loads of old British roadsters appeal.  Giant American boats, no.

you are far from being alone, raza. i like the looks and ride of those old land yachts, but it seems like all of my car loving buddies are quite smitten with those hot british roadsters, as well. a couple friends/acquaintances/cousins/co-workers drive everything from honda S2000 ragtops ("hardtop" option), mazda miatas, nissan Z roadsters to a saturn sky and pontiac solstice convertible... trying to capture what is the closest vehicle to them to what they reminisce about... yet probably not quite the same as one of those great classics.

sportyaccordy

My little puppy has extruded better turds. Some of these cars are miserable

Atomic

i never heard about the "leather" of the cordoba not being the "real thing", but i am certain about the high quality leather on other chrysler vehicles being authentic "mark cross" leather, a longstanding american company known for some of the best leather goods. i think "MC" leather came in the 1980s. here is their website:

http://www.markcross1845.com/

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on August 09, 2011, 07:40:36 PM
My little puppy has extruded better turds. Some of these cars are miserable

Take pictures to prove it.  :devil:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Atomic

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 10, 2011, 10:05:02 AM
Take pictures to prove it.  :devil:

:lol:

actually, cars are far better today in many ways than those of the past in regards to safety, lateral seat supports, rust proofing, etc. however, most cars today seem flimsy in comparison to when bumpers were made of real "metal", i.e., steel. there are obviously pros and cons to every era. i do think many will agree that cars of the past had more of a "presence", like those beautiful, stately chrysler imperials, cadillac fleetwoods, lincoln continentals of yore.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Atomic on August 11, 2011, 05:26:47 AM
:lol:

actually, cars are far better today in many ways than those of the past in regards to safety, lateral seat supports, rust proofing, etc. however, most cars today seem flimsy in comparison to when bumpers were made of real "metal", i.e., steel. there are obviously pros and cons to every era. i do think many will agree that cars of the past had more of a "presence", like those beautiful, stately chrysler imperials, cadillac fleetwoods, lincoln continentals of yore.

Back then designers had FREEDOM to do what they wanted. These days they have to conform to safety and environmental standards which ultimately hinder much design creativity.  :frown:

I agree with what you said that cars from that era had more presence and visual charm.  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Tave

This is design freedom:

This is a simple box drawn with the all the creativity of a straight-edged ruler:

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.