Roll over Darwin

Started by VTEC_Inside, August 10, 2011, 11:04:38 PM

VTEC_Inside

Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

VTEC_Inside

I dunno about you, but I look both ways crossing at a green light on foot and while driving.

Tave

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on August 10, 2011, 11:07:08 PM
I dunno about you, but I look both ways crossing at a green light on foot and while driving.

Huh?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

bing_oh

Stupidity. Even though she was obeying the law and the jaywalker wasn't (thus putting the jaywalker, legally, at fault), she should have used even more caution to avoid the jaywalker because it was near a school where students frequently jaywalk? :facepalm:

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Tave on August 11, 2011, 05:48:06 AM
Huh?

When crossing the street, even at a controlled intersection with a green light I do a quick glance to see if its safe to do so, unlike the dipshit kid in this story that just strolled out there randomly.

Tave

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on August 11, 2011, 06:23:12 AM
When crossing the street, even at a controlled intersection with a green light I do a quick glance to see if its safe to do so, unlike the dipshit kid in this story that just strolled out there randomly.

Yes, I understood that, but then you went on to say that you also do it while you're driving.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

ifcar

It's a good way to avoid being in an accident, even if it's the other person's fault. I've seen a driver narrowly avoid being t-boned by a red light runner because they clearly were checking for that possibility.

Tave

So what, they slow to a stop/crawl at each green light?

Chancing to catch a glimpse of an out of control car isn't the same as "look both ways before you cross the road."

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: bing_oh on August 11, 2011, 06:14:11 AM
Stupidity. Even though she was obeying the law and the jaywalker wasn't (thus putting the jaywalker, legally, at fault), she should have used even more caution to avoid the jaywalker because it was near a school where students frequently jaywalk? :facepalm:

This story is especially frustrating for me because Ive almost nailed equally dumb kids twice in my 10+ yrs of driving and in both cases there is nothing I could have done fast enough, much like the lady here.

Once three kids on bmx bikes were riding towards me in my lane from around a blind corner, a single second is all that kept them from my hood.

The other time was very similar to this story, right in front of a highschool in winter. There were kids crossing not 100ft from a light so I was already coasting, but at the last second one of them decided he could make it in front of me. Had he not actually cleared the snow bank on the side of the road he would have been road pizza no matter what I did. I called the school in that case and told the vp that she might want to give the brats a physics lesson.

IMO the lady here did everything beyond right. To be found in the wrong in the slightest is pure bs and will probably scar her more than hitting the pos in the first place.

VTEC_Inside

Quote from: Tave on August 11, 2011, 06:25:18 AM
Yes, I understood that, but then you went on to say that you also do it while you're driving.

Well as much as possible, I dont slow down and take a long look or anything like that.

bing_oh

Quote from: ifcar on August 11, 2011, 06:30:35 AMIt's a good way to avoid being in an accident, even if it's the other person's fault. I've seen a driver narrowly avoid being t-boned by a red light runner because they clearly were checking for that possibility.

Being aware of your surroundings is always good, but this particular scenario is ludicrous. The kid stepped out from behind a parked truck into traffic...there was no way for her to avoid him, by the sounds, and was totally the fault of the pedestrian.

ifcar

Quote from: Tave on August 11, 2011, 06:35:49 AM
So what, they slow to a stop/crawl at each green light?

Chancing to catch a glimpse of an out of control car isn't the same as "look both ways before you cross the road."

You can look both ways without slowing down. Doesn't take any more of a glance than checking your mirrors.

Tave

Quote from: bing_oh on August 11, 2011, 06:40:06 AM
Being aware of your surroundings is always good, but this particular scenario is ludicrous. The kid stepped out from behind a parked truck into traffic...there was no way for her to avoid him, by the sounds, and was totally the fault of the pedestrian.

There are certain areas of town that I'm familiar with where I know kids are constantly playing in the street and not paying attention to traffic. I always slow down in those neighborhoods, even if can't see any pedestrians, because of something like this, and it has saved me on more than one occasion.

Even if it's the kid's fault, I don't really want to run him over. It's too hard to scoop blood out of the Aveo's radiator. And just imagine all the paperwork.

Tave

Quote from: ifcar on August 11, 2011, 06:44:13 AM
You can look both ways without slowing down. Doesn't take any more of a glance than checking your mirrors.

Well yeah, although by then it's probably too late to do anything. You're already navigating the intersection at speed. At that point, you're going to have to do some sort of avoidance maneuver. You probably can't stop and let the cars pass.

RomanChariot

Quote from: Tave on August 11, 2011, 07:13:18 AM
Well yeah, although by then it's probably too late to do anything. You're already navigating the intersection at speed. At that point, you're going to have to do some sort of avoidance maneuver. You probably can't stop and let the cars pass.

It is basic defensive driving.  Most of the cars that I see in videos that get t-boned by red light runners never see them coming because they don't look to the side when going through an intersection as long as the light is green.  Seeing them coming might not always give them time to avoid impact entirely but it may give them the ability to lessen the severity.  I have avoided multiple accidents over the years by doing this.  Some of them could have been quite severe if I had just pushed forward assuming I had the right of way and therefore did not have to watch out for what others were doing.

Tave

Quote from: RomanChariot on August 11, 2011, 08:23:58 AM
It is basic defensive driving.  Most of the cars that I see in videos that get t-boned by red light runners never see them coming because they don't look to the side when going through an intersection as long as the light is green.  Seeing them coming might not always give them time to avoid impact entirely but it may give them the ability to lessen the severity.  I have avoided multiple accidents over the years by doing this.  Some of them could have been quite severe if I had just pushed forward assuming I had the right of way and therefore did not have to watch out for what others were doing.

Like I said, catching something wrong in your peripheral and making an adjustment on the fly is different than looking both ways before crossing the street on foot. I highly doubt you look both ways before navigating every green light in your car. In fact I'm positive that it would be virtually impossible to do so even if you wanted to, as a lot of intersections simply don't allow the necessary field of vision. I can think of countless roads I drive where the speed limit is 30-50 mph and you can't see down the sidestreets until you're almost at the light.

RomanChariot

Quote from: Tave on August 11, 2011, 08:34:43 AM
Like I said, catching something wrong in your peripheral and making an adjustment on the fly is different than looking both ways before crossing the street on foot. I highly doubt you look both ways before navigating every green light in your car. In fact I'm positive that it would be virtually impossible to do so even if you wanted to, as a lot of intersections simply don't allow the necessary field of vision. I can think of countless roads I drive where the speed limit is 30-50 mph and you can't see down the sidestreets until you're almost at the light.

I would classify it as more than just catching something in your peripheral.  Sometimes I do better at checking intersections than others but I generally try to take a glance to either side as I am approaching a green light.  Obviously, some intersections are harder to get a good view than others.  I have seen so many videos floating around of people crossing four lane roads and getting nailed in the intersection by a red light runner coming from their right.  That means that they had to cross at least two lanes in the intersection before getting hit.  That is plenty of time to make adjustments that could lessen the severity of the impact if they were paying better attention.

NomisR

Quote from: bing_oh on August 11, 2011, 06:40:06 AM

The judge is a tool, driving 25 mph in a 30mph zone is too fast?  And she's on a motorcycle so you can most likely hear her coming. 

The kid needs to learn to not walk behind a vehicle that blocks you from traffic.   You'd think there would be cops near schools giving out jay walking tickets.   They did for my old HS.

Tave

At my HS, we had a 20mph speed limit that was strictly enforced and pedestrians were allowed to do whatever they want. It was a pain in the ass to drive through, but on the plus side, no one killed any of the students.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on August 11, 2011, 03:31:53 PM
At my HS, we had a 20mph speed limit that was strictly enforced and pedestrians were allowed to do whatever they want. It was a pain in the ass to drive through, but on the plus side, no one killed any of the students.

You call it a plus.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=25443.msg1564412#msg1564412 date=1313427581
You call it a plus.

While I admit running down some snot-nosed high schooler has a certain appeal to it,

Quote from: Tave on August 11, 2011, 07:11:11 AM
It's too hard to scoop blood out of the Aveo's radiator. And just imagine all the paperwork.

:thumbsup:

Byteme

Quote from: bing_oh on August 11, 2011, 06:14:11 AM

So I guess you are screwed if you are the driver and you are "not from around here". 

Byteme

Quote from: Tave on August 11, 2011, 06:25:18 AM

When your light turns green you don't make a quick check for cross traffic that may not think a red light is important enough to stop for?  Or keep an eye peeled for the same kind of Dip s*it at other intersections?

Tave

Quote from: EtypeJohn on August 15, 2011, 11:58:31 AM
When your light turns green you don't make a quick check for cross traffic that may not think a red light is important enough to stop for?  Or keep an eye peeled for the same kind of Dip s*it at other intersections?

Yes, but that's not what I was talking about. I was talking about approaching a green light on the fly.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on August 15, 2011, 11:31:04 AM
While I admit running down some snot-nosed high schooler has a certain appeal to it,

:thumbsup:

:lol:
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Byteme

Quote from: Tave on August 15, 2011, 12:46:18 PM
Yes, but that's not what I was talking about. I was talking about approaching a green light on the fly.

Well, yeah.  But depending on the circuances I still give a glance left and then right (unless it's a one was street) if possible, when blowing through a green.

NomisR

Quote from: EtypeJohn on August 16, 2011, 06:20:06 AM
Well, yeah.  But depending on the circuances I still give a glance left and then right (unless it's a one was street) if possible, when blowing through a green.

As long as you don't step on the brakes when going through a green.. not a problem.  There's a lot of people that brakes before going through a green though...