Project SE

Started by Run Away, September 28, 2005, 03:08:54 PM

Run Away

This is the frame rail that was straightened, along with the hole in the trunk due to rust and the frame straightening. All will be patched and rust proofed.

Why I'm replacing the rear panel

The parts I'll be using.

Before pics:

I paid $500 for the work done to the rear (making the car square, straightening the frame rail and the quarter panel work.

So far I have $1000 Canadian into the car (852.065 USD)

Run Away

Umm, why is this a sticky?

:P

mazda6er

QuoteUmm, why is this a sticky?

Because the mods love restorations, and this, my friend, is a restoration.  ;)
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

ifcar

QuoteUmm, why is this a sticky?

I was asked to sticky the last restoration thread, and went ahead and did this one as well.

Run Away

Oh.
Well, I feel special now.:P

You wouldn't beleive how many little stupid things are different between 90 and 91. All the electrical connector in the front end are a different style, as with the bumper mounts and the rebar behind it.

I received the car yesterday and worked today on putting back together the front end. It was all apart and had been torn off in the accident. A bunch of wirring I was going to replace with part from my '90 I had to splice and stuff instead of replace due to the differences.

Now the left blinker blinks twice as fast as it should. I think that's because it doesn't have a left tailight though.

Fire It Up

Are you gonna sell it once it looks normal again or are you gonna try and make it like your sig?

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Tom

It's an auto?  I thought that was against your religion.

footoflead

QuoteIt's an auto?  I thought that was against your religion.
:o ...I'm surprized, i thought for sure it was a stick also
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raghavan

QuoteIt's an auto?  I thought that was against your religion.
He said he'll swap it. B)  

footoflead

QuoteIt's an auto?? I thought that was against your religion.
Well then  :rockon:  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Raghavan

:praise:  

Tom

Boo ya!  Ben doesn't tolerate no slushies :praise:  

J86

Are you cannibalizing your red one for this?  If so, why?  Just for shits an giggles?

Raghavan

QuoteAre you cannibalizing your red one for this?  If so, why?  Just for shits an giggles?
He's selling his red one, and he's cannabalizing his others for this so that he can have a nicer car than the others that he has.

BMWDave

That leather looks very nice, besides the cracked leather on the side bolster, it looks pretty good B)

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

J86

ambitious undertaking!

Run Away

Thanks for all the replies. :)

THe plan is to fix this one up and either get the underbody re-coated and drive it year-round or drive it in the summer only.

The red one I'm going to put in a rebuilt engine, new balljoints and good used axles and either use it as a winter beater or flip it for $3000.

The SE is an auto, and will remain that way for hopefully only a year or less. I have two spare manual trannies + all the stuff needed to change over but instead of just throwing it all together I'm going to get one of them rebuilt, and install an LSD from a Civic Type R or Integra Type R.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-HONDA-I...1QQcmdZViewItem

J86

Damn, dude, that's sweet!

Almost makes me miss having a car...then I look at the gas pump!

BMWDave

Wow, youre very good with cars! How'd you learn to be this good mechanically with them?

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Run Away

QuoteWow, youre very good with cars! How'd you learn to be this good mechanically with them?
All the work that's been done to it so far(except the remounting of the front bumper assembly) was done by a frame straightening shop so I havn't done much to it.

I've never done bodywork before, it's going to be mostly a learning experience.

Mechanically...I just spent all my free time reading, discussing and observing. You build a good idea of how everything works from that, then go ahead and try it. Taking things apart is easy, it's putting them back together again that's hard.

Fire It Up

hey, when you put stuff back on, how do you know how much to torque it down?

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

Run Away

Most stuff I just crank on with a ratchet until it's nice and tight.

Proper torque doesn't really matter (imo) unless you're talking bolts that are under constant stress or have a use which require precision. Stuff like putting on a bumper or bolting on tailights it doesn't matter, but axles nuts, and things like valve covers and other engine stuff I'd buy a torque wrench.

I've been meaning to buy one.

280Z Turbo

QuoteMost stuff I just crank on with a ratchet until it's nice and tight.

Proper torque doesn't really matter (imo) unless you're talking bolts that are under constant stress or have a use which require precision. Stuff like putting on a bumper or bolting on tailights it doesn't matter, but axles nuts, and things like valve covers and other engine stuff I'd buy a torque wrench.

I agree. I rarely use a torque wrench, but for things like fastening a valve cover to the head, it's a must!

JWC

I agree. I rarely use a torque wrench, but for things like fastening a valve cover to the head, it's a must!
That's odd, because I've been wrenching for 30+ years and never used a torque wrench for anything but head bolts. Valve covers just get snugged down, then a half turn more.

280Z Turbo

That's odd, because I've been wrenching for 30+ years and never used a torque wrench for anything but head bolts. Valve covers just get snugged down, then a half turn more.
Perhaps that was an overstatement, but I like to use it so that the bolts are all equal and that they aren't too tight.

The first time I changed a valve gasket, I smooshed it and it leaked. The last time I did it, I torqued it properly and no leaks!

If you aren't sure how tight something should be, a torque wrench is very helpful.

BartsSVO

A toruqe wrench is a must for about any internal engine nut or bolt. For example, bearing clearances are often dependant on the main cap bolts being torqued to a certain specification to ensure the caps and bearings are seated properly. With axle and pinion nuts torque is critical for determining the preload on the associated bearings. If they're too tight or too loose, you'll destroy the bearings, races, gear faces, spindle, etc..

IMHO, a good torque wrench needs to be in the tool box of anyone doing their own car repairs.
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

Run Away

The Bartender

While many of the manufacturers do have torque specs for EVERY bolt on the vehicle (They have too, for manufacturing purposes), properly toquing bolts is only a big issue for mechanical parts, such as head gaskets, where it can be CRITICAL, wheels and transmissions parts.  For body parts, other than the risk of cracking or damaging a plastic part when attaching it, torque isn't as big an issue.

As for the differences between vehicles when using LKQ/used parts, I am WELL versed in those issues, having run a body shop for 5 years.  Most body shops will have to make use of used parts, and the head aches that come with them are legion.  The cost savings is too great to ignore, and with older vehicles, sometimes the only parts available are used parts.
Wastin' Away Again in Margaritaville!
#3 #8 #15 #29

Raza

Good to see you dispensing knowledge, barkeep.  How are things on your end of the screen?

:rockon:  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Run Away

Well, Project SE is on hold now for the next 6 months, I just came back from putting it away into a little spot between a pole and a wall that only a 4WS car (or like a geo metro) would fit into. :praise:
It's at the back of a big storage place that will soon fill up with cars so there won't be any chance of me getting it out till spring.

In the meantime, I'll collect a few parts here and there I'm sure.