Help me pick out a potential new car

Started by dazzleman, August 16, 2011, 07:54:07 PM

Which cars should I consider when I decide to get a new car?

BMW 5-series
2 (5.9%)
Audi A6
10 (29.4%)
Audi A7
8 (23.5%)
Infiniti G-37
4 (11.8%)
Other (please specify)
10 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 31

dazzleman

I'm starting to think about getting a new car.  Generally, that means I won't actually get one for at least a year.

I like the BMWs but I'm willing to try something else.  I really like that Audi, as well as the Infiniti.  I'm looking for any ideas that you guys have.

As you know, I'm committed to having one car rather than two, so I need something practical.

Let me know what you think.  Thanks for any comments or suggestions.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

MexicoCityM3

I?d decide between the Audis and the BMW obviously after test driving all 3 in your situation. Financials of course will play a part as well. Can?t go wrong with those choices.

Being me, I couldn?t bring myself to buy an Audi.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

2o6

68_427

There may be a new G coming out soon.  While I really like the G, it's a class below the other options and you might be able to tell while driving it.  (Maybe not, as far as I know it's the most sports oriented of the group)

The A7 will be more practical than the others (Due to the hatchback, it has alot of cargo room) while not losing any driving pleasure from the A6.

Last but not least, well in my opinion it is the least... the 5 series.  Depending on what you like about your current car and what you dislike about it you might be slightly disappointed with the new 5 series.

I'd like the also recommend the new Volvo S60.  It's about the size of the G, and for the price of a decently equipped A6 or 5 series you should be able to get a fully loaded S60 with AWD and 325hp.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Vinsanity

Quote from: 2o6 on August 16, 2011, 08:27:17 PM
A7

YES. I've never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Dazzle yet, but I sense him to be the perfect A7 man. Maybe that has a bit to do with the fact that I want one myself :mask:

68_427

Wild card.  Speakers in the headrests for abba jam sessions.

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

ifcar

Just in case you're not up on Infinitis, the G is the Infiniti in the 3-Series class rather than the 5-Series. The 5-Series competitor is the M.

To your question....consider all of them. Do some driving and report back. Do you also have any interest in the Hyundai Genesis?

Rupert

Quote from: 68_427 on August 16, 2011, 08:39:18 PM
Wild card.  Speakers in the headrests for abba jam sessions.

You can also buy a 1991 Miata and get headrest speakers for ABBA jam sessions.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Onslaught

Quote from: Rupert on August 16, 2011, 09:23:49 PM
You can also buy a 1991 Miata and get headrest speakers for ABBA jam sessions.
The RX-7 convertible had huge headrest speakers and would be even better for ABBA.

SVT666

Having driven the G37 sedan, that is my pick.  It's a fantastic car. 

You might actually find the new 5 Series too big because it is quite a bit bigger than your car.  If I didn't want the V8 muscle of the Dodge Charger, the G37 would be my next car.

Onslaught

I'm a G37 fan myself. I came very close to getting one.

Payman

Last week I sat in a loaded Kia Optima 2.0T. Stunning car.

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on August 16, 2011, 10:11:25 PM

I drove a base 2.4 6MT model about two weeks ago.

Good car.

Onslaught

Quote from: Rockraven on August 16, 2011, 10:11:25 PM
He's much too opulent for that. I'm not even sure if he could be seen parking next to a Kia.  :devil:

MexicoCityM3

I'd also wait a few months and check out the brand new 3 series.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

the Teuton

I'm going to vote Infiniti because it might be your first retirement car. It has a venerable engine and transmission that have undergone tons of testing, doesn't have techno nonesuchery that makes upkeep expensive, and it's a truly enjoyable car. Sure, consider it a bit of a downgrade if you want, but I consider it adjusting for a more practical way of life -- and a hell of a good car in its own right.

It's bigger than a 3 Series by a good amount, too -- close to the same size as your older 5 Series you had before your current car.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CJ

The Pirate

Quote from: the Teuton on August 16, 2011, 10:50:06 PM
I'm going to vote Infiniti because it might be your first retirement car. It has a venerable engine and transmission that have undergone tons of testing, doesn't have techno nonesuchery that makes upkeep expensive, and it's a truly enjoyable car. Sure, consider it a bit of a downgrade if you want, but I consider it adjusting for a more practical way of life -- and a hell of a good car in its own right.

It's bigger than a 3 Series by a good amount, too -- close to the same size as your older 5 Series you had before your current car.

+1

All cars are getting more complex and thus more expensive to maintain.  Of those three, I think the G would be the cheapest to maintain and require the least amount of dealer trips (in and out of warranty). 

It's also a damn sexy car that is probably a ton of fun to drive.  I love me a solid German car, but I think they're sliding down past their high point in terms of quality and longevity.
1989 Audi 80 quattro, 2001 Mazda Protege ES

Secretary of the "I Survived the Volvo S80 thread" Club

Quote from: omicron on July 10, 2007, 10:58:12 PM
After you wake up with the sun at 6am on someone's floor, coughing up cigarette butts and tasting like warm beer, you may well change your opinion on this matter.

Laconian

Range Rover. You cannot deny the WASPy blue blood that courses through your veins.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

the Teuton

Quote from: Laconian on August 16, 2011, 10:57:54 PM
Range Rover. You cannot deny the WASPy blue blood that courses through your veins.

I'd recommend him an Evoque if he were a rich suburban housewife or an upwardly mobile lesbian, but since he's neither, I can't.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

Laconian

The Evoque is for fur-clad, status-obsessed Eastern European ice queens.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

mzziaz

Quote from: Laconian on August 16, 2011, 10:57:54 PM

Amateur. Jaguar  is where its at

Cuore Sportivo

the Teuton

Quote from: Laconian on August 16, 2011, 11:05:55 PM
The Evoque is for fur-clad, status-obsessed Eastern European ice queens.

Come on, it's not that vain.

SVT666

Quote from: The Pirate on August 16, 2011, 10:56:03 PM
It's also a damn sexy car that is probably a ton of fun to drive.
That it is.  I giggled when I drove it.  Giggled.  I also found it more enjoyable than the coupe because the roof wasn't as low and the exhaust note sounds much better in the sedan.

thewizard16

You'd look right at home in an A6, and the other WASPs you work and live with won't look down their noses at you :lol:. The 5 series is a fine car I'm sure, but it's time for something new in the driveway!
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Raza

I'm surprised to hear so many loved driving the G37.  The G35 wasn't really all that special unless pushing it really hard (much like the 350Z and 370Z), so I would have guessed more of the same. 

Either way, you're an old man with a good bit of money.  Buy the A6. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

Mercedes W212 E-Class

- Great looks
- Comfortable
- Safe
- Roomy
- Quality
- RWD
- Good handling
- History & Heritage  :devil:

and lastly...

You'd look damn good in this car. Think of all the hot college chicks you'd be picking up (and there's even room for three/four girls on the backseats). That's right.  :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Onslaught

Wouldn't be better to just ask your chauffeur what he would like to drive?