***Todays Shoot: BMW Isetta vs Messerschmitt Kabinenroller***

Started by cawimmer430, August 19, 2011, 11:42:52 AM

cawimmer430

Each car has a 1-cylinder 2-stroke engine. The BMW has 12.5-horsepower (BMW and Drivers dick just went limp) and the Messerschmitt has 9-horsepower. Both cars were loud and the stank badly. The Messerschmitt needed a new spark plug halfway through the shoot and some "two-stroke fuel" because it also ran out of gas. Both cars don't have a fuel clock.

These cars are symbolic of 1950s Germany. A typical BMW or Mercedes in those days was out of reach for the masses. And so was a Volkswagen Beetle. The common man drove Goggomobils, Lloyds, Z?ndapps, Heinkels, Kleinschnittigers, Fuldamobils, Messerschmitt Kabinenrollers / Tigers or - the "affordable" BMW Isetta. Those lucky enough to own them had the freedom to travel. It wasn't uncommon for Germans to drive their Isettas or Kabinenrollers down to Italy for a vacation. I got a ride in the Isetta later in the day and it feels like you're driving a cage that's so low to the ground. And man was this thing cramped! I am '6"4 and this car was tiny. The Messerschmitt was equally cramped - couldn't fit into the rear seat...

So here are some photos from todays shoot. These are the straight converted from RAW-to-JPEG shots and not edited yet. The shooting took place in Augsburg and at the worst time of the day (as usual) when the sunlight is just a pain the behind.  :tounge:

Messerschmitt Kabinenroller vs BMW Isetta

The owners...

Look at that handling!

I want to see Rosie O'Donnell in this car!  :thumbsup:

The 9-hp Sachs engine...serious performance guaranteed, baby.

Oh look, a spare tire!

Where is the Isetta engine? Here. It's transversely mounted. The engine is behind the butt of the front co-passenger while behind the driver is the transmission.

12.5-horsepower. Feel the difference.

Speed. Speed. Oh yes. Speed.

Getting in...

Steering-wheel blinker arrangement. The transmission is to the left of the driver.

Auf Wiedersehen!
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

cawimmer430

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 19, 2011, 11:44:31 AM
Those things... are awesome. I want to make one.

I'm sure you can buy them on ebay somewhere. No need to make one!

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 19, 2011, 03:41:16 PM
I'm sure you can buy them on ebay somewhere. No need to make one!

You do not understand. I like making things. I want to make my own.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 19, 2011, 03:42:17 PM
You do not understand. I like making things. I want to make my own.

But with a Cadillac 500cid V8 on the roof powering the front wheels, right?  :praise:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 19, 2011, 03:43:22 PM
But with a Cadillac 500cid V8 on the roof powering the front wheels, right?  :praise:

I was thinking Duramax on the back powering a prop off an air boat.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 19, 2011, 03:44:48 PM
I was thinking Duramax on the back powering a prop off an air boat.

Diesel power is always good.  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Mustangfan2003

Strangely enough I've seen both these cars before at the same time. 

Soup DeVille

Does anybody remember the advert where a Kleinschnittger F125 is parked in the bed of an Escalade?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

cawimmer430

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on August 19, 2011, 04:34:47 PM
Strangely enough I've seen both these cars before at the same time. 

I'm sure a few of them were imported into the US. I know there are some Isettas there but I never expected a K-Roller to be there.

Any Trabants in the US?

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 20, 2011, 04:50:03 AM
I'm sure a few of them were imported into the US. I know there are some Isettas there but I never expected a K-Roller to be there.

Any Trabants in the US?

I've seen them both at the local car museum.  I've never seen a Trabant I'm sure someone out there has one. 

Laconian

Thanks for the photos Wimmer.

I like cars that are built around hard constraints, it forces the engineers to think of clever solutions and tradeoffs. Even though these cars are smelly and slow, they're still pretty fascinating to me.

Conversely, cars with no limits tend to bore me to tears!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Colin

Soup DeVille

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 20, 2011, 04:50:03 AM

Any Trabants in the US?

There's actually a Trabant club somewhere in Indiana: or at least there was a few years ago.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

93JC

Quote from: Laconian on August 20, 2011, 01:22:09 PM
I like cars that are built around hard constraints, it forces the engineers to think of clever solutions and tradeoffs. Even though these cars are smelly and slow, they're still pretty fascinating to me.

:clap:

I have recently been developing an affinity for Japanese kei cars.

On the other hand my interest in luxury cars and supercars, what little I had, is slowly waning.

2o6

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: 2o6 on August 20, 2011, 08:55:12 PM
That Messerschmitt is super cute!

Looking at one up close is like looking at a sidecar. 

cawimmer430

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on August 20, 2011, 07:15:49 AM
I've seen them both at the local car museum.  I've never seen a Trabant I'm sure someone out there has one. 

I bet you won't see one of those in California with those crazy emission controls.

Are classic cars exempt from emission controls in the US? They are here (if they have the "H" license plate [HISTORIC]).

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on August 20, 2011, 01:22:09 PM
Thanks for the photos Wimmer.

Anytime.  :ohyeah:

I had a ride in the Isetta. It feels zippy and quick when you're riding so low to the ground in that thing. I was surprised how eager and lively the little 250cc engine felt with a big guy like me and the driver in the car. I think in a city environment the performance of the Isetta can be pretty lively. You just don't want to really drive it on country roads or on the Autobahn.  :ohyeah:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 20, 2011, 08:03:25 PM
There's actually a Trabant club somewhere in Indiana: or at least there was a few years ago.

Top Gear once showed an episode of English owners of Soviet / Eastern European cars. Those owners looked very eccentric but they were really passionate about those cars.

The only Soviet car I want to have is the lovely Gaz/Volga 24.  :wub:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

MX793

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 21, 2011, 05:07:14 AM
I bet you won't see one of those in California with those crazy emission controls.

Are classic cars exempt from emission controls in the US? They are here (if they have the "H" license plate [HISTORIC]).

In most places in the US, and I believe California is no exception, emissions and safety regulations do not apply to cars built before the regulation went into effect.  The car merely needs to meet the emissions regulations that were in effect for the year that it was built.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Mustangfan2003

Quote from: cawimmer430 on August 21, 2011, 05:07:14 AM

Yes classic cars are exempt from emissions laws at the moment.  I hope it stays that way. 

cawimmer430

www.wimmerfotografie.de