$4-5k reliable car

Started by hotrodalex, August 21, 2011, 10:48:38 AM

hotrodalex

I know a guy who is looking for a car, doesn't want to spend more than $4-5k. He's not a car guy or anything, so it doesn't have to be anything exciting. Just something that will work as a reliable means of transportation. My dad said a Toyota or Honda, but I said Mazda Protege since I figured it'll be just as reliable and less expensive. What do you guys think?

the Teuton

If I were him, I'd get a Saab convertible with a turbocharger. Nothing could go wrong...

In all honesty, kids don't smack around Toyotas the way they do with Hondas. I'd think a good Corolla could last him nearly forever.
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

hotrodalex

Corolla could definitely work, I just don't know what condition Corolla you can get for $4k and if you could get something newer and just as reliable if you go with a different brand.

the Teuton

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 21, 2011, 10:55:31 AM
Corolla could definitely work, I just don't know what condition Corolla you can get for $4k and if you could get something newer and just as reliable if you go with a different brand.

It'll definitely be in the 2000s.

The alternative is getting a 2006 Focus or something like that. How new do you want this car to be?
2. 1995 Saturn SL2 5-speed, 126,500 miles. 5,000 miles in two and a half months. That works out to 24,000 miles per year if I can keep up the pace.

Quote from: CJ on April 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM
I don't care about all that shit.  I'll be going to college to get an education at a cost to my parents.  I'm not going to fool around.
Quote from: MrH on January 14, 2011, 01:13:53 PM
She'll hate diesel passenger cars, all things Ford, and fiat currency.  They will masturbate to old interviews of Ayn Rand an youtube together.
You can take the troll out of the Subaru, but you can't take the Subaru out of the troll!

CALL_911

I'd go for a 2006ish Focus, as Jake said. I also like the Protege idea.

If it were me, an early '00s 9-3 doesn't sound bad... :winkguy:

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MX793

Quote from: the Teuton on August 21, 2011, 10:53:33 AM
If I were him, I'd get a Saab convertible with a turbocharger. Nothing could go wrong...

In all honesty, kids don't smack around Toyotas the way they do with Hondas. I'd think a good Corolla could last him nearly forever.

Kids will beat on pretty much any car they have at their disposal, particularly if it's "their" car.

Find something that was owned by an elderly driver who was the original buyer.  Odds are it will be low mileage, unmolested, and in decent shape.

Protege wouldn't be a bad car unless you're in the rust belt.  Later ones were somewhat rust-prone (something to do with a more environmentally friendly painting process, Mazda3s have a similar problem).

To be honest, if this is somebody who doesn't care at all about cars and just wants something to get from A to B, it's hard to beat the early to mid 2000s Ford Taurus.  Plentiful, cheap, reliable, and you'll likely get one that is newer and lower mileage than a comparably priced Toyota or Honda.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

hotrodalex

Quote from: CALL_911 on August 21, 2011, 11:03:18 AM
I'd go for a 2006ish Focus, as Jake said. I also like the Protege idea.

If it were me, an early '00s 9-3 doesn't sound bad... :winkguy:

Okay I'll look around for Focuses and tell them that too.

A 9-3 would be cool if he was into cars, but he's not. Just needs an appliance, really. (I'm sure he'd enjoy a fun car, but doesn't want to deal with it)

hotrodalex

Quote from: MX793 on August 21, 2011, 11:07:25 AM
Protege wouldn't be a bad car unless you're in the rust belt.  Later ones were somewhat rust-prone (something to so with a more environmentally friendly painting process, Mazda3s have a similar problem).

We're pretty much in the rust belt - just south of Cincinnati.

sportyaccordy

Eye of the Tiger

Saturn LS2 V6 with dual fart cannons.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Payman

Protege5 with 5 speed. Reliable, practical, and a little sporty.

MexicoCityM3

look to the east. pretty much anything will do
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

2o6

Zetec or Duratec Focus.

Avoid SPI motors. They will blow up.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on August 21, 2011, 10:06:55 PM
Zetec or Duratec Focus.

Avoid SPI motors. They will blow up.

Stop saying SPI motors will blow up. All motors will blow up.

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 21, 2011, 10:12:55 PM
Stop saying SPI motors will blow up. All motors will blow up.

Nearly all SPI's I saw before I bought mine were on the brink of death, and would have needed a full rebuild for the top of the motor.

I have a friend who has an SPI LX model, and it's starting to exhibit symptoms of SPI failure.

I say again: They will blow up.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on August 21, 2011, 10:15:52 PM
Nearly all SPI's I saw before I bought mine were on the brink of death, and would have needed a full rebuild for the top of the motor.

I have a friend who has an SPI LX model, and it's starting to exhibit symptoms of SPI failure.

I say again: They will blow up.

Is "SPI failure" a particular affliction that these engines exhibit? And I will say, I had a friend with an SPI that did not blow up, and I've seen many more on the roads that were not blown up.

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 21, 2011, 10:22:28 PM
Is "SPI failure" a particular affliction that these engines exhibit? And I will say, I had a friend with an SPI that did not blow up, and I've seen many more on the roads that were not blown up.

Valve seat drop, especially in cylinders 3 and 4.

Seriously, nearly all SPI's I looked at had either died or were on their way to death. Zetec focuses are snapped up so quickly, but SPI's will sit for a long time. There was a beige '01 Sedan that I wanted really badly, that was sold in literally fifteen minutes of the posting. People were racing to get it within an hour radius.