Most boring car you've ever driven?

Started by 2o6, August 21, 2011, 10:21:49 PM

2o6

What is the most boring car you have ever driven?

68_427

90's Buick Skylark, although the strait line speed wasn't bad at all.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Vinsanity

Geo Metro. It's probably as boring as the rental Camry I drove more recently, but the Geo was by far and away the worst car I've ever driven. If the best car I could afford was a Geo Metro, I'd just keep taking public transportation until I can save up enough money for a better car.

2o6

For me:

'01 Subaru Legacy Outback, boxer-four, 5-speed manual.

I have driven far too many large vans, and boring econoboxes, but this takes the cake. I actually think a Camry is more exciting, at least it's fast, and the vague steering had this morbid sense of fun.

It's slow, shifter is completely unremarkable, motor felt rough, but the whole experience was incredibly boring. I do not understand why people go gaga over this car.

Colonel Cadillac

~2009 Toyota Camry, it was just absolutely awful. My friend's 2000 Buick Century was more fun to drive (although that might have to do with its flaws).

S204STi

lol....

Oh my, where to start.  The hundreds of cheap econoboxes I've driven over the years are hard to sort through.  Basically all of them except for the GTO, diesel trucks which can be mind-numbingly fast, the G8, Solstice (only the GXP though, the NA is a turd), STI, GTI, and a 2003 Mustang GT which had a quaint and very truck-like driving experience but was still ridiculously fun to drive.

Some other glaring exceptions:  the Hyundai Accent, 2nd-gen Sentra, and the Toyota Previa.  Hilarious van to drive, to say the least.

2o6

I've always thought a 2JZ or at least a 4AGE Previa would be interesting.

And the Solstice is boring? Really?

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 68_427 on August 21, 2011, 10:22:32 PM
90's Buick Skylark, although the strait line speed wasn't bad at all.

Fuck you I used to have a '91 Skylark 3.3 and it was hella fun...er... I mean, at least the V6 did 0-60 in 9 seconds flat. That was fast back in those days.

To answer the original question, definitely a late 90's Corolla with the horrific 3-speed automatic. There was nothing about that car that was even remotely interesting. It functioned, got good fuel economy, and was totally inoffensive in every way. There was absolutely no pleasure to be found in that piece of blandness. I fucking hated it.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Onslaught

I'm not sure. Being a Mazda fan I'd probably say the last generation 626 would take the honors. I'm not sure if it's the most boring car I've ever been in but it was a horribly dull car for someone like Mazda to make.

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 21, 2011, 10:30:28 PM
Fuck you I used to have a '91 Skylark 3.3 and it was hella fun...er... I mean, at least the V6 did 0-60 in 9 seconds flat. That was fast back in those days.

To answer the original question, definitely a late 90's Corolla with the horrific 3-speed automatic. There was nothing about that car that was even remotely interesting. It functioned, got good fuel economy, and was totally inoffensive in every way. There was absolutely no pleasure to be found in that piece of blandness. I fucking hated it.

I failed my drivers' test in an '02 model.

The transmission is the worst part. There simply are not enough speeds.

Quote from: Onslaught on August 21, 2011, 10:31:19 PM
I'm not sure. Being a Mazda fan I'd probably say the last generation 626 would take the honors. I'm not sure if it's the most boring car I've ever been in but it was a horribly dull car for someone like Mazda to make.

I almost bought one, until the dealer asked me for gas money. It's a little dull, but honestly, it's more exciting to drive than a same year Camry.

S204STi

Quote from: 2o6 on August 21, 2011, 10:30:27 PM
I've always thought a 2JZ or at least a 4AGE Previa would be interesting.

And the Solstice is boring? Really?

IMO, absolutely.  Without the better engine it's slow as hell, and the handling is unremarkable.  Sure the numbers might be good, but it's no fun.  Very numb.

Vinsanity

Quote from: 2o6 on August 21, 2011, 10:26:06 PM
It's slow, shifter is completely unremarkable, motor felt rough, but the whole experience was incredibly boring. I do not understand why people go gaga over this car.

It's a dependable appliance that people throw their crap into, and it takes them to go camping and do other outdoorsy crap that some people like to do. It's like a more rugged Camry. Or a more reliable Jeep.

2o6

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 21, 2011, 10:32:48 PM
It's a dependable appliance that people throw their crap into, and it takes them to go camping and do other outdoorsy crap that some people like to do. It's like a more rugged Camry. Or a more reliable Jeep.

IMO, it sucks.

It's not flickable like a small subcompact or compact.

It isn't fast like other midsizers.

And interior space is mediocre.

And the design is generic.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 21, 2011, 10:25:50 PM
Geo Metro. It's probably as boring as the rental Camry I drove more recently, but the Geo was by far and away the worst car I've ever driven. If the best car I could afford was a Geo Metro, I'd just keep taking public transportation until I can save up enough money for a better car.

If the Metro was that bad, it couldn't have been so boring. I'm sure it kept you occupied keeping your foot to the floor tryibg to keep up with traffic, and both hands on thw wheel trying to keep it in your lane. I bet the Camry was more boringer.

68_427

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 21, 2011, 10:32:48 PM

And lots of fun in the winter.  My car also soaks up the miles, and has a decent stereo.  As much as I'd like a fun car, I can't complain about my Outback.
'racecar is die'
no

Vinsanity

Another "honorable" mention would be the last-gen Hyundai Elantra. It's a fine car, but it feels like it was engineered to be a boring appliance. In comparison, the Camry kind of just happened to turn out being a boring appliance, and the last-gen Corolla  actually turned out to be inadvertently entertaining (in comparison, at least).

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 21, 2011, 10:34:44 PM

If the Metro was that bad, it couldn't have been so boring. I'm sure it kept you occupied keeping your foot to the floor tryibg to keep up with traffic, and both hands on thw wheel trying to keep it in your lane. I bet the Camry was more boringer.

55HP and a 3AT sound painful.

But a Swift GTI sounds awesome.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 21, 2011, 10:34:44 PM

Good points. In some ways, it was like driving a more enclosed golf cart. Not a great idea, but it will provide some hair-raising moments.

Eye of the Tiger

If it means anything, my friend who recently traded hos CTS-V for a new Sienna has been driving his wife's pointy-nose 5-spd Impreza for a while, and he thinks it is the most
boring car he has ever driven. He says the Sienna is more fun.

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 21, 2011, 10:40:15 PM
If it means anything, my friend who recently traded hos CTS-V for a new Sienna has been driving his wife's pointy-nose 5-spd Impreza for a while, and he thinks it is the most

"Pointy Nose"?

Vinsanity

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 21, 2011, 10:40:15 PM

my condolences to your friend.

68_427

'racecar is die'
no

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 21, 2011, 10:37:35 PM
Another "honorable" mention would be the last-gen Hyundai Elantra. It's a fine car, but it feels like it was engineered to be a boring appliance. In comparison, the Camry kind of just happened to turn out being a boring appliance, and the last-gen Corolla  actually turned out to be inadvertently entertaining (in comparison, at least).

Oh yes, I agree here also. The car wouldn't drive in a straight line above 75 MPH either. It was all over the place.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on August 21, 2011, 10:39:06 PM
55HP and a 3AT sound painful.

But a Swift GTI sounds awesome.

Meh. My Swift was swift enough to carry enough speed at an autocross to drift around
corners without bogging down, and it topped out over 90.
Now, a 3cyl 3AT with the A/C running... that is not street legal?

hounddog

1984 Oldsmobile 88.

Epitome of unresponsive. 

Like riding a waterbed on a feather road. 
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on August 21, 2011, 10:34:15 PM
IMO, it sucks.

It's not flickable like a small subcompact or compact.

It isn't fast like other midsizers.

And interior space is mediocre.

And the design is generic.

Flickable? LOL.

My boy, you couldn't flick a meth burning Lancia Strados.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on August 21, 2011, 10:41:03 PM
"Pointy Nose"?

It has a damn pointy nose. I don't know what year it is

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 21, 2011, 10:43:12 PM
Meh. My Swift was swift enough to carry enough speed at an autocross to drift around
corners without bogging down, and it topped out over 90.
Now, a 3cyl 3AT with the A/C running... that is not street legal?

Fully loaded, too? It would never move.

However, 100HP in a car that weighs like 1600LBS sounds relatively entertaining.

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 21, 2011, 10:45:45 PM
Flickable? LOL.

My boy, you couldn't flick a meth burning Lancia Strados.

Most little cars are super maneuverable, and most encourage you to do so in a darty fashion.

Flickable.

Payman

Sooo many. But the worst:

Pontiac 6000
Cavalier
Yaris

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 21, 2011, 10:46:04 PM
It has a damn pointy nose. I don't know what year it is

I have a friend who is trying to buy one of those (facelift before that one) and swears it's a "2.5 WRX".

It's a 2.5 RS with rice bits on it.

Quote from: Rockraven on August 21, 2011, 10:50:38 PM
Sooo many. But the worst:

Yaris

It seems like it goes out of it's way to be not fun.