Cautiously, I put these renderings out there....

Started by 2o6, August 24, 2011, 06:34:36 PM

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

giant_mtb

Jesus hell, these things look much better (like real karz) with some lighting, luster, and a background that isn't gray with a mesh floor.

2o6

Quote from: giant_mtb on September 06, 2011, 05:36:06 PM
Jesus hell, these things look much better (like real karz) with some lighting, luster, and a background that isn't gray with a mesh floor.

It took me a little while to figure out how to render properly, but now within 30 seconds I can have a car with no lighting looking like the pictures in the first page.

Thanks.

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

2o6

Quote from: Tave on September 06, 2011, 08:10:54 PM
Why are the B-pillars canted like that?

I like the way it looks and IMO it gives it more of a racier shape and greenhouse shape.

The 3-door model, which I have yet to make, will have an even more canted B-pillar.

Planned variants:

B-segment - Sedan, Wagon, 5-door, 3-door

A-segment - 3-door, maybe a soft-top cabrio. But altering the mesh and proportions that much either would only be a soft top like the Mini Cooper, or a nasty little folding top like the Colt CZC

thewizard16

To your most recent picture (the quick and dirty fix one):
Looks pretty good. I'm not a big fan of hatches, but the shape of that one makes it look reasonably good. I really like how the back shape has evolved into something a little more streamlined and angular- it keeps that lip you seem to like and looks much less awkward than some earlier incarnations. A couple little things I'd change if I had the skills to use whatever program it is you do this with:

1- The A pillar looks a little off at the bottom, and give a strange shape and potential field of vision problem for the driver. It's an easy thing to fix by altering the shape of the window a little I imagine, but just an observation.

2- More aggressive wheels. This could be a sporty little hatch with the right touches.

3- Something about the hood/front seems strange but I can't exactly put my finger on it. The lip on the hood (not sure if it's part of your design or just something the program did when the pieces were put together) seems odd and might result in small lakes forming on your hood when it rained, and the front itself still seems a little snub nosed overall, but has greatly improved from earlier versions.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

2o6

Are you American? I will be happy to sell you a sedan. (took about 15 minutes to make)

(no perspective)

With perspective, but slammed.

Quote from: thewizard16 on September 06, 2011, 09:15:04 PM
To your most recent picture (the quick and dirty fix one):
Looks pretty good. I'm not a big fan of hatches, but the shape of that one makes it look reasonably good. I really like how the back shape has evolved into something a little more streamlined and angular- it keeps that lip you seem to like and looks much less awkward than some earlier incarnations. A couple little things I'd change if I had the skills to use whatever program it is you do this with:

1- The A pillar looks a little off at the bottom, and give a strange shape and potential field of vision problem for the driver. It's an easy thing to fix by altering the shape of the window a little I imagine, but just an observation.

2- More aggressive wheels. This could be a sporty little hatch with the right touches.

3- Something about the hood/front seems strange but I can't exactly put my finger on it. The lip on the hood (not sure if it's part of your design or just something the program did when the pieces were put together) seems odd and might result in small lakes forming on your hood when it rained, and the front itself still seems a little snub nosed overall, but has greatly improved from earlier versions.

Thanks! I plan on modeling a sport version soon, but I want to get the regular version done first.

2o6

I may have to work on that rear bumper a little bit....it reads strange when perspective is on.

Yeah, the sedan is a bit like the new Nissan Versa, but I didn't want to have to mess with the doors. Everything from the C-pillar forward is nearly the same.

Galaxy

For the rear of that last car, you might want to consider leaning on the A7 when it comes to the trunk.

hotrodalex

The areas under the side mirror and above the rear wheels are a little frumpy on that one.

2o6

Last little update for a little while:

Made some sporty new wheels.

B-segment

- seperated hood and trunk. Slight modeling in the interior, most notably the inside of the doors

A-segment

- seperated hood and trunk

Laconian

Why didn't you turn up the rendering quality to begin with!?!?!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

ChrisV

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

2o6

I saw that, but honestly the concept looks interesting, but a little boring.

Secret Chimp

Having the B pillar slope forward while the rest of the car slopes backward looks all kinds of jacked up.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

93JC

In the name of common sense. The forward canted B-pillar makes the rear window, in relation to the door, wider at the top than at the bottom, which practically speaking reduces the amount by which the window could roll down. It would also reduce the driver's peripheral vision because where there should be window will be pillar. It might also interfere with a practical implementation of seat belts. If such a car was built it might have to use a different (more expensive) belt anchoring, perhaps integrated with the seat.

There's no particular reason the B-pillar has to lean forward.

2o6

Deleted the roofline of the C-segment vehicle, as well as the front fascia. Also redid the wheel arches. Greenhouse may be a bit restrictive, but at least it looks legitimately sporty. Rear fascia is all new, and the rear overhang is shortened.

It kinda reminds me of the previous gen Acura TL crossed with something I can't quite put my finger on...

Might have to lengthen the rear deck. It reads too much like a hatchback, in it's current state.

(no perspective)

hounddog

Quote from: 2o6 on September 06, 2011, 10:14:36 PM
Are you American? I will be happy to sell you a sedan. (took about 15 minutes to make)

(no perspective)

With perspective, but slammed.

Thanks! I plan on modeling a sport version soon, but I want to get the regular version done first.
Not to be too mean, but this looks like it sat in the sun too long and melted.

Quote from: 2o6 on September 07, 2011, 08:40:41 PM

This one has much promise, except the flares on the front would be illegal.  Otherwise, this is nice work.

And your skills are definately improving.  :ohyeah:
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

2o6

Naturally, B-segment sedans aren't going to be pretty.

2o6

Lotsa updates

Been experimenting with using a high-res background texture instead of the gradient I have been using. The effect is mixed, my lighting is always wrong, and it looks really flat from a lot of angles. But at least it looks interesting. The red ball is just to add visual interest and a frame of reference for the models.

C-segment car. Changed a lot, but really the pictures do more than words can. Added doors, and refined the proportions.

A-segment: most notable is the new interior and some minor tweaks outside. Otherwise, nothing new.

B-segment: I really worked with the shape and roofline....I wanted something that was shorter and more traditional. The old car would end up with limited headroom, windows that would not be able to roll down and a big trunk. This car uses it's footprint a whole lot better. Not sure of the effect from some angles, but I think the profile looks better. A-pillar moved forward for a shorter hood. Roofline is more forgiving for headroom. Door shutlines are more realistic and elegant.

MrH

Why do all your cars look the same?  And what's with the gaping mouth front end with lipstick at the corners?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

MrH

Make some cars other than econoboxes.

Stop putting lipstick on your cars. :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: MrH on September 15, 2011, 09:53:11 PM
Make some cars other than econoboxes.

Stop putting lipstick on your cars. :lol:

They're the same three cars I have been working since the thread started.

Those red patches up front are turn indicators.

MrH

Looks like lipstick.

Anyways, I challenge you to try a big luxury sedan and a two-seater for your next cars.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

2o6

Quote from: MrH on September 15, 2011, 10:03:08 PM
Looks like lipstick.

Anyways, I challenge you to try a big luxury sedan and a two-seater for your next cars.

K

Secret Chimp

The rear end still looks melted and/or involved in a rear end collision with a dumpster. The halves look completely separate.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

L. ed foote

Quote from: 2o6 on September 11, 2011, 06:31:42 PM
It kinda reminds me of the previous gen Acura TL crossed with something I can't quite put my finger on...

Toyota Celica?

The front end has a turbo interceptor look to it
Member, Self Preservation Society

giant_mtb