Cautiously, I put these renderings out there....

Started by 2o6, August 24, 2011, 06:34:36 PM

2o6

Sometimes I wonder why I post these things here. Sometimes I get legitimate criticism and suggestions, but a lot of times, you guys wanna one-up each other. But I'm trying to come in with an open mind and not be so reactionary to your comments.

But anyways, I think I'm getting better with getting the point across as to what I want to model.

A-segment car. Just a slight facelift to get the droopy joker nose off. Haven't really worked on it all that much.

B-segment car, I started over entirely. Not sure how it came out. Did things like making super exaggerated wheel arches, and a tapering rear end to add visual flair.

Interior

Quickie sedan

C-segment car. Not much work done on this one, either. Not sure what to do with it. Started life as a sedan, did a quickie hatchback.

Eye of the Tiger

You obviously work hard on those things, but I just don't like them. I wish I had blender skills.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 24, 2011, 06:36:52 PM
You obviously work hard on those things, but I just don't like them. I wish I had blender skills.

On another forum I post at (which is predominatly Asian and European) they seem to like them a lot.

Thanks for the comments.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on August 24, 2011, 06:39:36 PM

On another forum I post at (which is predominatly Asian and European) they seem to like them a lot.

Thanks for the comments.

You're welcome :lol:

The proportions just feel awkward to me. It's like when your average person tries to draw a human face. Many of the details are great, but as a package it's just a bit off

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 24, 2011, 06:42:40 PM
You're welcome :lol:

The proportions just feel awkward to me. It's like when your average person tries to draw a human face. Many of the details are great, but as a package it's just a bit off

It's hard recreating the proportions of anything bang-on.

Eye of the Tiger

If it means anything, the last green one feels much better than the first two. I suppose it's a bit more conventional, and has more flowing lines overall

2o6

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on August 24, 2011, 06:46:25 PM
If it means anything, the last green one feels much better than the first two. I suppose it's a bit more conventional, and has more flowing lines overall

Inspiration was the Impreza.

I really like my B-segment hatch. It's like a more aggressive Insight.

Speed_Racer

How  committed are you to 3d auto design and to using Blender? If this is something you take seriously and perhaps want to make something of in the future, maybe it's time to bite the bullet and buy pro-quality software?

I use open-source GIMP and Inkscape when I'm at home doodling, but when I do design work for $, I only use the Adobe CS5 on my school's computers. Thoughts?

2o6

Quote from: Speed_Racer on August 24, 2011, 06:51:27 PM
How  committed are you to 3d auto design and to using Blender? If this is something you take seriously and perhaps want to make something of in the future, maybe it's time to bite the bullet and buy pro-quality software?

I use open-source GIMP and Inkscape when I'm at home doodling, but when I do design work for $, I only use the Adobe CS5 on my school's computers. Thoughts?

I'm not all that serious about that, but I have thought about it.

I think I'm getting a much better handle on blender then from when I first started modeling. My ideas look closer to what I sketch.....but not as good as I'd like.

Speed_Racer

Quote from: 2o6 on August 24, 2011, 06:53:31 PM
I'm not all that serious about that, but I have thought about it.

I think I'm getting a much better handle on blender then from when I first started modeling. My ideas look closer to what I sketch.....but not as good as I'd like.

Do you do your primary brainstorming sketches on a computer or on paper?

2o6

Raza

The sedans are horrid.  Scrap them and start over.  You have a better eye for hatches, though.  The first one could easily be a Toyota or a Peugeot with some tweaking.  Now, what's with the hole in the A-pillar though?  I don't know if there's much of a market for gloryholes in small hatchbacks.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=25536.msg1570237#msg1570237 date=1314239064
The sedans are horrid.  Scrap them and start over.  You have a better eye for hatches, though.  The first one could easily be a Toyota or a Peugeot with some tweaking.  Now, what's with the hole in the A-pillar though?  I don't know if there's much of a market for gloryholes in small hatchbacks.

Thanks. I thought about Toyota for inspiration.

The dual a-pillar is merely just a pillar split so the window would roll down.

93JC

That doesn't make any sense. The added metal at the A-pillar is canted the wrong way. As I see it you couldn't roll down the windows.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

93JC

1. You got a line along the side which I tried to approximate with the blue colour. It starts out at your big haunch at the rear, swoops reaaaaal low, and then just disappears into the body as it nears the front. Bring it up! Your door handle is halfway down the side of the door, it's too low!

2. I also tried to approximate the rear door seam at the C-pillar, which raises several issues:
i) you leave little ingress and egress room
ii) the window would not be able to roll down (an issue with the rear doors because of both the B- and C-pillars)
iii) your door handle looks like it's too far back and within the beginning of the curve around the rear wheel, which would be a pain in the ass to manufacture and probably wouldn't be comfortable for anyone to use

3. What are you doing at the back?! All of your cars have this... growth... at the ass end. What purpose does it serve? It looks like you were shooting for a Prius-esque Kammback but the extra 'swoop' at the back would negate any aerodynamic gains in efficiency and would be (again) a pain in the ass to manufacture. It serve no purpose whatsoever: just chop it off.

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on August 24, 2011, 08:47:36 PM
That doesn't make any sense. The added metal at the A-pillar is canted the wrong way. As I see it you couldn't roll down the windows.

I like the way they look. (It's too extreme. I haven't really worked too much in that area. The whole profile needs some smoothing)

Quote from: Rupert on August 24, 2011, 08:51:37 PM
Noses are too vertical. Block city.

I'm starting to like a more truck-like nose on a smaller car. It makes it look larger, IMO.

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on August 24, 2011, 09:12:44 PM

1. You got a line along the side which I tried to approximate with the blue colour. It starts out at your big haunch at the rear, swoops reaaaaal low, and then just disappears into the body as it nears the front. Bring it up! Your door handle is halfway down the side of the door, it's too low!

2. I also tried to approximate the rear door seam at the C-pillar, which raises several issues:
i) you leave little ingress and egress room
ii) the window would not be able to roll down (an issue with the rear doors because of both the B- and C-pillars)
iii) your door handle looks like it's too far back and within the beginning of the curve around the rear wheel, which would be a pain in the ass to manufacture and probably wouldn't be comfortable for anyone to use

3. What are you doing at the back?! All of your cars have this... growth... at the ass end. What purpose does it serve? It looks like you were shooting for a Prius-esque Kammback but the extra 'swoop' at the back would negate any aerodynamic gains in efficiency and would be (again) a pain in the ass to manufacture. It serve no purpose whatsoever: just chop it off.

That helps a lot, actually.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 2o6 on August 24, 2011, 08:35:05 PM
Thanks. I thought about Toyota for inspiration.

The dual a-pillar is merely just a pillar split so the window would roll down.
If the window is wider in the middle than the base, then how would the window roll down? :confused:

Also, I keep getting a 5 series GT vibe from the back of your cars.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

Quote from: thecarnut on August 24, 2011, 09:23:12 PM
If the window is wider in the middle than the base, then how would the window roll down? :confused:

Also, I keep getting a 5 series GT vibe from the back of your cars.

I like the elements from the 5-series GT. Just wish it weren't so tall....

2o6

Found out a few things:

How to use the "crease" tool, to give some edges so the cars don't look so melted.

Also, I'm finding out how to properly render. Other screenshots were really screenshots from "edit mode", I.E, the model as I was working on it, not actually rendered where glass is transparent, and the the body color actually looks like paint.

Hopefully I didn't overdo it, I think I may have a bit too much specular on the wheelcovers (resulting them looking too chrome-y) but I think the actual alloy wheels look OK.

B-segment hatch back:

- Added glass.

- Changed the side character line so it isn't so droopy. Also added a crease so it doesn't melt as much.

- Slight creasing of the front bumper and front fascia

- tapering of the bottom character line so it doesn't end so abruptly into the A-pillar

- Deleted interior. I didn't like it, and when I separated the doors and the inside door panel, the door would be over a foot thick.

No perspective

A-segment

- Redrew the side so the mesh isn't so lumpy.

- Added a few creases to get a few more sharp edges (why do I keep seeing the Yaris in the profile?)

- Added glass.

- Removed interior for similar reasons as above.

- Raised the top of the rear hatch a tad bit, so it doesn't look like it's melting.

hotrodalex

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

2o6

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

2o6

2o6

Some more updates. Getting the models ready for rigs of rods by separating body parts. Starting off slow with the side doors.

B-segment:

- separated doors. Using subdivisions and the crease tool to get shutlines that hopefully are realistic.

- created interior

- created minor details such as the manual and automatic shifters

- added dead panel at the rear of the greenhouse (now the window would realistically roll down)
(no perspective)

These wheels were supposed to be steel wheels, but I didn't like them for that purpose.

These are the actual model underneath the hubcaps (pictures 1 and 3)

Manual

Automatic

A-segment

- doors. Having a tougher time with this one. May have to add a front quarter window so the door shutline is more elegant. Right now it's a little strange.

93JC

Quote from: 2o6 on September 05, 2011, 08:40:13 PM
- added dead panel at the rear of the greenhouse (now the window would realistically roll down)

Ah... no they won't. Your window is still wider than the door it rolls down into.

2o6

Quote from: 93JC on September 05, 2011, 08:43:28 PM
Ah... no they won't. Your window is still wider than the door it rolls down into.

You're right. I might have to cut the window down by about another 1/3.

I was trying to preserve the glass, but looks like I'll have to add a quarter piece of glass and a track in the middle of the door.

2o6