Cautiously, I put these renderings out there....

Started by 2o6, August 24, 2011, 06:34:36 PM

2o6

MrH

Holy shit do some of those sight lines suck or what? :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: MrH on May 03, 2012, 09:03:50 PM
Holy shit do some of those sight lines suck or what? :lol:

Some of it has to do with the camera being positioned around a foot in front of the driver's head, and it tends to lead to a bit of a "tunnel vision" effect. But yes, the sighlines on some of the models aren't the greatest. I think the sedan has pretty good sightlines, but the hatch has awkward ones (the windshield is too narrow).

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Laconian

I think the models will look a lot better in-game when they have windows.

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on May 05, 2012, 07:08:08 PM
I think the models will look a lot better in-game when they have windows.

They have modeled windows. I will have to play with the shader so they don't look so......transparent.

2o6

Just a few glamour shots. I suppose I should stop taking glamour shots and get to finishing the lights and seats.

Here are some uplevel model shots, characterized by the wheels.

I need to fix the lighting

2o6

Pekoe is about 95% done and almost ready for a release. Just adjusting the rear alighnment and calibrating the power curve for the 1.3L engine.

I put the new Aviva Cil in game, (this car only has the wheels in the right places and nothing else) and it's really hard to photograph. The wheels to scale are 17" wheels. The Pekoe's are 15", as are the Kenosha's. I may have to rotate the mesh a hair; I have an annoying slight nose in the air effect on this car. However, the car handles better, mostly because of the lower CG in comparison to the Pekoe. Obviously, I have to write new physics, but it's still OK.

New glamor shots of the Pekoe, the most basic "Exhibition" model. Power comes from an 800cc Turbo three-cylinder making around 70HP. 0-60 comes in a the high 11 seconds. The 1.3L model produces 106HP and gets to 60 in around the high 8's.

The proportions are pretty traditional.

(I even got signals working)

Interior has a central mounted speedo; mostly for modeling ease reasons

Kenosha has 'dated' proportions; and it's actually quite dowdy from some angles. Other angles I really like it, especially the rear.

2o6

And Kenosha's power comes from a 1.5L making 95HP and 110 ft/lbs of torque. It's old school.

Laconian

Overbite trunks aside, it looks pretty great.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on May 25, 2012, 11:06:05 AM
Overbite trunks aside, it looks pretty great.

I'll have to post a release thread for when the Pekoe is finally released for Racer (about a couple days).

2o6

Just doing some ergonomic testing to make sure they "work" in the game.

No physics actually written, just a model with wheels in the right places.

Compact Civic-Sized sedan

My favorite angle

B-segment SUV

Four Door compact coupe. I may have overdid it with the front overhang....it's supposed to have a V6, but that's a lot of overhang.

RWD Coupe

SVT666

The coupe is looking great, except for those shit wheels and stupid rear overbite.

2o6

2o6

Update:

Inspiration: VW Passat CC, Pontiac Bonneville

C-segment 4-door Coupe gets numerous proportional changes, as well as an elegant recess for the license plate

RWD coupe had some serious normals issues, so I had to essentially remodel the door. The greenhouse is slightly different, and I still have to fix the slope of the glass of the hatch.

Started modeling a dashboard.

Regular C-segment sedan has new front lower fascia, headlamps.

However, the real story is the interior. Hopefully it's not to MPV ish.

nickdrinkwater

These look awesome

The coupe looks like a modern day Nissan 200 SX from the early 90s

If I'm being harsh that last one looks too much like an Avensis with the Auris interior

The supermini one looks cool

2o6

Quote from: nickdrinkwater on June 28, 2012, 04:18:15 AM
These look awesome

The coupe looks like a modern day Nissan 200 SX from the early 90s

Hey thanks! Not sure which coupe and which 200SX you're talking about.

If I'm being harsh that last one looks too much like an Avensis with the Auris interior
It's OK, I like the Avensis.

The supermini one looks cool
Thanks, but which? I have a City car, a Supermini and a cheap supermini.

Thanks!

Vinsanity

Nick's probably talking about the "coupe"-coupe (not the 4-door), and the S13 fastback.

A 4-door C-segment coupe seems like a cool idea, but also seems like it'd be pretty snug in the back seat. I guess it wouldn't be any worse than a Veloster or Civic coupe, though.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on June 04, 2012, 10:54:21 PM
As I said, the wheels are placeholders.

Yeah, get better wheels and the coupe looks pretty damn good.

And I like the overbite. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=25536.msg1741215#msg1741215 date=1340918410

And I like the overbite.  
The coupe is looking really really good.  the overbite on the rear still sucks though.  

MrH

Ok, honest opinion time:

This is what you need to do.

1.  Get the fuck out of this blender shit.  No one uses it.  Get Alias, it's free for students.  It'll make things look a lot better.

2.  Stop wasting your time creating fantasy specs.

3. Spend it trying different designs.  Everything you're doing looks the same.  Push yourself out of your comfort zone.  Try recreating a few cars in Alias, and see where that takes you.  Understand the proportions of things already out there, and it'll help you change the same proportions you keep using for all your designs.

You have some talent, and a clear passion.  Make the moves to put yourself in a position to turn it into a job.  Sorry if that came off harsh.  Just trying to get you to make something of this,
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

2o6

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=25536.msg1741215#msg1741215 date=1340918410

And I like the overbite. 

I've done a couple of revisions where I lost the overbite, and it never looks right.

Quote from: MrH on June 28, 2012, 05:09:39 PM
Ok, honest opinion time:

This is what you need to do.

1.  Get the fuck out of this blender shit.  No one uses it.  Get Alias, it's free for students.  It'll make things look a lot better.

Never new Alias was free for students,.

2.  Stop wasting your time creating fantasy specs.

These designs go into the game RACER. Pekoe was released last month

3. Spend it trying different designs.  Everything you're doing looks the same.  Push yourself out of your comfort zone.  Try recreating a few cars in Alias, and see where that takes you.  Understand the proportions of things already out there, and it'll help you change the same proportions you keep using for all your designs.

Not going to lie, I'm only just now getting a good handle on Blender to get it to do what I want it to.

You have some talent, and a clear passion.  Make the moves to put yourself in a position to turn it into a job.  Sorry if that came off harsh.  Just trying to get you to make something of this,

The job outlook is very grim, and schooling costs are astronomical.

MrH

1. Yes, alias is free for students. Get it now.

2. Meh.

3. Understandable. But no one uses Blender. Dont waste a ton of time trying to learn it.

4. Not like the job market is much better in anything else. There's always a million reasons not to do something.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

2o6

Just a dump of pretty much every wheel I have ever modeled. I still feel like I don't have enough. Especially for RWD cars. Usually, I take pictures of wheels I like (VW and BMW are really good looking wheels, and they have good reference points; Honda is also good) and trace over them in Blender, altering the parts I like. Sometimes I draw them out, and use a wheel template to make a model. Some of the more geomertic designs I can have done in as little as 15 minutes. Some take closer to 2-3 hours.

Hubcaps and similar
Under every hubcap, I have this base model which I have dubbed as "eagle" which is supposed to be a steel wheel

Then I put a circular plane on top of the wheel; nothing is actually connected between the two. It just sits on top of the model. I have to be careful not to let the models clip; it can make for some awkward reflections
"Amo" - I tend to use this for very basic models. I think it looks good on SUV's.

"Amore" - Sedans.

"Bandita" - I almost never use this. Don't really care for the design.

"Criminal" - Insipired of the Saturn ION, but I can't find a use for it.

"Gigi" - It's a little too high-poly, but I think it looks good.

"Holland" - I use it all the time.

"Lyma" - I tend to keep these on really cheap models, and they tend to go on fairly narrow tires.

"Katama" - Made expicitly for the Aviva Pekoe.

"Segunda" - I may have made the outside lip too large.

"Stillwell" - Very basic, I almost never use

"Terese" - When I first made it, I used it all the time. Now I find it doesn't really suit any particular design.

"Uyasu" - "Eagle" is still underneath there....seems a bit wasteful since you don't see it at all, really.

"Trayzoi" - It's a newer model, but I've only used it on a couple designs.

Luxury
"Dasheer" - I have them on the coupe and the 4-door coupe, but not sure how successful they are.

"Wheel" - Don't have a name. Very generic.

"Wheel2" - See above.

"Segunda" (rim) - Meh.

"Rotos" - Fairly old model, one of the first I've ever done. I think it looks pretty much good on everything.

"Vespacia" - See above.

"Hiearchy" - I think the spokes are too thin and round.

Sports

"Amir" - I feel it's a little busy, and the offset is a bit awkward (it's slightly convex) so I hardly every use them.

" '93" - for the "track"

"Cowboy" - Looks good on almost anything

"Del Rico" - Not sure how good these look anymore

"Pointi" - Offset is awkward; wheel is slightly ovoid. I never use this. Might remodel it.

"Isla" - Took me a couple minutes to make. I think it adds "weight" to certain designs.

"Opala" - Made explicitly for the Aviva Cil.

"Jazz" - Inspired of the wheels optional on certain Honda Fits. Just has less spokes

"Rathra" - a "rallye" style wheel that I really like. However, the modeling isn't the greatest (it's kinda...flat sided) but no one will notice when the wheel is moving

"Steelie" - started life as a steel wheel, looks good on SUV's and "rally" type cars

"Stratus" - Inspired of the Dodge Stratus. It looks too dated, I almost never use it.

"Wavia" - Made for the Aviva Pekoe, but I never used it. I don't really like the way it looks.

"Wysteria" - I use the heck out this wheel. I think I made it out of a BMW or VW design. I think it looks good on anything, but because of the offset I made it more for FWD vehicles.

That's roughly all of them. I have about 10 more, but they're not worth showing.

2o6

I still do work on these, but most updates have been in game. Racer V.0.9.0 makes everything look way better. The graphics and physics engine are more robust.

Suprise! Brake lights. I think I may use this look of shadow brake lamps (and signals). Makes it look more elegant at the back.

Most of my modeling has been focused on the Coupe, most notably improving things on the technical side, and starting to get an interior fleshed out. I also have the bumpers and hood separated, but I will have to check the seams.

Compact sedan has a revised rear fascia

2o6

Just some updates.

I made an awkward looking wagon out of the cheap sedan

I made a 3-door variant out of the cheap hatchback. I shortened the wheelbase a tad, mostly because I didn't want to remodel the door.

C-segment sedan I played with the roofline and rear to create a hatchback. I love the roofline, not in love with the rear fascia.

The little C-segment 4-door coupe Is turning into a midsized sedan. It's too bulky to be sexy, but i do like the design still.

ALso, here's this little small hatchback. If Pekoe is the equivalent to the Suzuki Splash, this car would be similar to the Maruti 800.

2o6

New: This little small super-city car. Rear engined, RWD. Longer than the Fortwo, and I was inspired by the lines of old style "Business Coupes". Longer wheelbase = better ride and handling; lower roofline also contributes to stability. I got to work on the a-piller; it's a bit wide. I made this because I was bored in class, and the professor's lecturing on typeface is exceptionally boring.

Ultra cheap car gains a set of rear doors. Not sure how I feel about it.

Four door coupe is now a midsized sedan. Been working hard on the sides and rear, not so much the front.

Even fleshed out a wagon

This is a huge rework of a very old mesh. I changed the proportions a lot to make it a kammback to go against the Prius and Volt. Not sure how successful it looks. Some angles it looks OK, some it looks very strange.

RWD coupe has a basic interior layout fleshed out

Just another rendering of the 3-door cheap hatch. Nice wheels and dark color. looks good, no?

MexicoCityM3

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

sportyaccordy