Thinking about buying a pickup.

Started by shp4man, August 25, 2011, 10:11:37 AM

shp4man

That's not it, but it's same thing exactly down to the color and wheels.
Long bed, automatic, 4.2L V-6, 97,000 miles, ex-construction company vehicle with small dents in the bumpers and scratches in the bed. The engine has been cared for, the inside of the valve cover and rocker arms are shiny and spotless. It runs real nice.  $6500. I'm not sure about it yet.   :huh:

SVT666

What year is it?  I would be very careful about buying a former fleet truck from a construction company, but you're a mechanic (right?), so you would know better than I what kind of condition it's in.

Laconian

What do construction companies do to trucks, besides bang the hell out of the body and payload?
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

2o6

Quote from: Laconian on August 25, 2011, 10:46:42 AM
What do construction companies do to trucks, besides bang the hell out of the body and payload?

Idle, maybe?

shp4man

The truck was used to haul home remodeling supplies mostly. It's 2006 model. Mechanically it's pretty good, but it's a commercial model, never waxed, rarely washed,  :rolleyes: It also has a "headache rack", a good one that could easily hold a kayak or an 18ft long 2x4. It's a bit beat up in the bed and the front and rear bumpers.
The guy traded it in on another Ford, so how bad can it be?  :lol:
I kind of like the utilitarian nature of the thing. It's probably only good for 17 or 18 MPG, though.

Secret Chimp

The 4.2L has been super-reliable across the mid-2000s by most accounts. Personally if I was buying a sometimes-pickup I'd get something with more character but I'm a weirdo.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

ifcar

Quote from: Secret Chimp on August 25, 2011, 11:50:08 AM
The 4.2L has been super-reliable across the mid-2000s by most accounts. Personally if I was buying a sometimes-pickup I'd get something with more character but I'm a weirdo.

Bang it up a bit and get it muddy, and then it has character. If you're feeling especially adventurous, try to attract some rust.

Byteme

Quote from: shp4man on August 25, 2011, 10:11:37 AM

That's not it, but it's same thing exactly down to the color and wheels.
Long bed, automatic, 4.2L V-6, 97,000 miles, ex-construction company vehicle with small dents in the bumpers and scratches in the bed. The engine has been cared for, the inside of the valve cover and rocker arms are shiny and spotless. It runs real nice.  $6500. I'm not sure about it yet.   :huh:

What's the Kelly Blue Book price?  Is there a place near you that can check the vehicle over see things that the average tire kicker wouldn't.  It might cost you $100 for that but it could be money well spent.  Also ask for a car fax.  It's just another piece of infor to add to the purchase decision.

shp4man

I put a few miles on it. Man, it seems big compared to the VW. And $15.00 worth of gas barely moved the gauge. The used car recon guy here put 4 new tires (cheapie Hankooks) 4 new brake rotors and pads and aligned the front end. I can get it for cost plus $200 according to the used car manager. Cost is what they gave for it in trade plus what they did to fix it (recon).
I'm going to drive it home tonight and see how wifey reacts. It hasn't been detailed yet, so it's pretty dirty. She can't drive the VW stick shift, but she could drive this- so we''l see.  ;)
I checked the warranty history record with Ford online, the vehicle has never had any warranty service done, ever, and the guy had an extended warranty with Ford! Me thinks it's a "good old truck"  :lol:
$7700 is full retail.

Colonel Cadillac

That'll be expensive to drive in California, and think of all those condescending faces from those trying to save the environment in their Prius!

shp4man

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on August 25, 2011, 01:25:11 PM
That'll be expensive to drive in California, and think of all those condescending faces from those trying to save the environment in their Prius!

I'll have to put a "Save the Whales" sticker on it to keep them from thinking I'm a Dittohead... :ohyeah:

SVT666

Sounds like you did your homework on it, so I say go for it. 

SVT666

Quote from: Laconian on August 25, 2011, 10:46:42 AM
A lot of the trucks aren't driven by the person who owns the company and the guys driving them just don't give a shit.  They abuse it, drive over curbs, etc. etc. etc.  I've seen some trucks that are in pretty rough shape after a couple years of being driven by employees.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: SVT666 on August 25, 2011, 01:54:36 PM
A lot of the trucks aren't driven by the person who owns the company and the guys driving them just don't give a shit.  They abuse it, drive over curbs, etc. etc. etc.  I've seen some trucks that are in pretty rough shape after a couple years of being driven by employees.
Very true. You should see how worn out some of our vans are after a couple years.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

shp4man

My kids needs come first, so no 2006 Ford. :cry: I'm currently looking at another trade in, a 2001 Dodge 1500 regular cab short bed with 3.9 V6, auto air and only 57,000 miles. It's waaaaay cheaper than the Ford. The effing dash is cracked all to hell, but it runs really well. It's also a color I like, dark forest green metallic. Any horror stories about the Dodge Rams?

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Rupert

Well, you're already in LA, more or less, so you might as well. It's the wrong order, though.

Gonna pack it in and buy a pick-up
Drive it down to LA
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

shp4man

Ok, so it's looking like a go on the Dodge. I drove it home last night and it seems to run OK. The problems are the dash -$200 fix, the paint on the hood and roof are cracked from months sitting in the sun -don't know maybe I can do a trade deal with somebody,  and it may need a catalytic converter at the next smog test. But it passed this one.
I'm a smog tech, so crap like that matters to me.
$2500 bucks and it's mine.
It's an unusual truck. For every 35 white Fords you might see one short bed Dodge. For every 35 Dodges, you might see 1 truck equipped like this one. It's got the same utilitarian look the Ford had.
The damn thing idles rough- that's normal operation I guess for the V6 (I've checked out the Dodge Ram forums  :huh:     ). And I figure it's getting 15-16 MPG. The wife likes it, so that's a plus. I've got till Monday to decide.

3.0L V6

Quote from: shp4man on August 27, 2011, 12:26:11 PM
The damn thing idles rough- that's normal operation I guess for the V6 (I've checked out the Dodge Ram forums  :huh:     ). And I figure it's getting 15-16 MPG. The wife likes it, so that's a plus. I've got till Monday to decide.

Yeah, the 3.9L is a 90 degree V6, so it's not going to idle real smoothly to begin with. I think the rev limit on that engine was pretty low too - below 5000rpm. New plugs and wires might help a little.

I'm not sure if rear-drive Chrysler transmissions are as frail as their front-drive ones - I doubt it, as they're based on older Torqueflite designs, just make sure you use the right fluid, like most Chrysler designs.

Morris Minor

⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

shp4man

I've spent most of the three day weekend doing maintenance on the Dodge. I did the spark plugs, oil change, serpentine belt, coolant flush, transmission flush, filter and band adjustment (very old school). I transferred the sound system from the bug to the truck and fixed the trucks cracked dashboard. I also repainted the rear bumper.
Now I have to clean up the bug to get it ready to sell. Whew! Too much crap!  ;)
The dash came out pretty nice- it's a "cap" from an outfit in Nevada. This particular year Dodge has an issue with dash cracking:

Bumper before:

And after:

I ended up getting the truck for $2500 and they payed the DMV fees. Which here in the land of fruits and nuts is like over $200. The dash repair parts were $230.

Cookie Monster

I really want your Bug. Good job fixing the truck up though.

Just wondering, why'd you cover the front plate in the last pic when the plate is visible in all the other pics? ;)
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Rupert

Lookin' good. Do you have a before photo of the dash? It looks great with the cover on it.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

shp4man

Quote from: Rupert on September 05, 2011, 01:34:29 PM
Lookin' good. Do you have a before photo of the dash? It looks great with the cover on it.

Thanks. This pic isn't my truck, but this is typical. Mine was actually worse than this one.

Byteme

Quote from: shp4man on September 05, 2011, 11:36:35 AM
I've spent most of the three day weekend doing maintenance on the Dodge. I did the spark plugs, oil change, serpentine belt, coolant flush, transmission flush, filter and band adjustment (very old school). I transferred the sound system from the bug to the truck and fixed the trucks cracked dashboard. I also repainted the rear bumper.
Now I have to clean up the bug to get it ready to sell. Whew! Too much crap!  ;)
The dash came out pretty nice- it's a "cap" from an outfit in Nevada. This particular year Dodge has an issue with dash cracking:

And after:

Try some "Back To Black" or Meguires Exterior Detailer on the black rubber on the bumper and the black exterior trim elsewhere on the truck.  It will make a huge improvement.

Rupert

Quote from: shp4man on September 06, 2011, 09:38:14 AM

Thanks. This pic isn't my truck, but this is typical. Mine was actually worse than this one.

Whoa. Chunks missing...