Almost talked myself into a ticket today....

Started by VTEC_Inside, August 30, 2011, 05:06:06 PM

VTEC_Inside

Sorry dazzleman, I did try....

Merging from one hwy to another I was behind a cop and we were all bunched up doing barely 100kph.

As the left lane opened up I waited for it to go dotted, threw my signal on and changed lanes accelerating past the cop up to about 125kph. I could kinda heat the crown vic downshift as if he had the same idea, but I was already there.

The regular flow of traffic moves about 120kph here so I didnt have an issue passing him.

Well it seems as though he did. I had gotten around the horde and pulled back into the center lane coasting back down to 120kph. He had followed and now the cherries were on. I throw on my blinker again and brake moderately hard onto the right shoulder.

Excuse this next part as its going to be a bit of a pathetic transcript of our conversation.

He walks up to the passenger window and after the meet and greet he asks if I know what the speed limit is, "yep, 100kph".
How fast were you going? "125kph"
You thing it was a good idea to pass a cop car at 25kph over the limit? "Well, and this is no excuse, but the normal flow of traffic here is 120kph"
The limit is 100kph, do you think it was a good idea.... "Well would you rather I slowed to 95kph like the rest of these people?"

It went on like that for a couple more questions to the point where he actually said that he was trying not to give me a ticket.

He asked what I was going to do the next time I saw a cop car, "pass more slowly", I said...

Why would you pass at all? "Well it doesnt help anyone if I sit next to you does it?"

Anyways, I got the impression that he kinda agreed with me but had to follow the "company" line. All in all decent guy.

I wonder how it would have gone down had I been driving the RSX, or if I had actuallu cared about getting the ticket.
Honda, The Heartbeat of Japan...
2018 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT 252hp 273lb/ft
2006 Acura CSX Touring 160hp 141lb/ft *Sons car now*
2004 Acura RSX Type S 6spd 200hp 142lb/ft
1989 Honda Accord Coupe LX 5spd 2bbl 98hp 109lb/ft *GONE*
Slushies are something to drink, not drive...

NomisR

Quote from: VTEC_Inside on August 30, 2011, 05:06:06 PM
Sorry dazzleman, I did try....

Merging from one hwy to another I was behind a cop and we were all bunched up doing barely 100kph.

As the left lane opened up I waited for it to go dotted, threw my signal on and changed lanes accelerating past the cop up to about 125kph. I could kinda heat the crown vic downshift as if he had the same idea, but I was already there.

The regular flow of traffic moves about 120kph here so I didnt have an issue passing him.

Well it seems as though he did. I had gotten around the horde and pulled back into the center lane coasting back down to 120kph. He had followed and now the cherries were on. I throw on my blinker again and brake moderately hard onto the right shoulder.

Excuse this next part as its going to be a bit of a pathetic transcript of our conversation.

He walks up to the passenger window and after the meet and greet he asks if I know what the speed limit is, "yep, 100kph".
How fast were you going? "125kph"
You thing it was a good idea to pass a cop car at 25kph over the limit? "Well, and this is no excuse, but the normal flow of traffic here is 120kph"
The limit is 100kph, do you think it was a good idea.... "Well would you rather I slowed to 95kph like the rest of these people?"

It went on like that for a couple more questions to the point where he actually said that he was trying not to give me a ticket.

He asked what I was going to do the next time I saw a cop car, "pass more slowly", I said...

Why would you pass at all? "Well it doesnt help anyone if I sit next to you does it?"

Anyways, I got the impression that he kinda agreed with me but had to follow the "company" line. All in all decent guy.

I wonder how it would have gone down had I been driving the RSX, or if I had actuallu cared about getting the ticket.

Next time, just answer sarcastically, sit next to you so I can hold up traffic like the rest of these asshole lane campers and create a traffic congestion and there's nothing you can do because I'M NOT SPEEDING!!!!  HA!

dazzleman

You were honest and probably said what he was thinking.  When I did my ride-along with my local PD, I saw how annoyed they get when everybody slows down around them.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

TurboDan

Quote from: dazzleman on August 30, 2011, 05:45:20 PM
You were honest and probably said what he was thinking.  When I did my ride-along with my local PD, I saw how annoyed they get when everybody slows down around them.

Yeah, I've heard the same from lots of local guys around here. The only people who seem to take being passed personally are the state troopers.

Cookie Monster

Yeah, I don't slow down really when I see cops. If they are already writing someone a ticket, they're not going to see me driving by, and if they creep up on me from behind, it's too late to slow down anyways. :huh:

Same goes if they are hiding and lasering. By the time you see them, it's too late so there's no point in trying to slam the brakes.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

hotrodalex

Quote from: thecarnut on August 31, 2011, 09:57:31 PM
Yeah, I don't slow down really when I see cops. If they are already writing someone a ticket, they're not going to see me driving by, and if they creep up on me from behind, it's too late to slow down anyways. :huh:

Same goes if they are hiding and lasering. By the time you see them, it's too late so there's no point in trying to slam the brakes.

If they're pulled over on the side of the road I'll let up on the gas to slow down a bit, but more for their safety than because I'm worried they'll pull me over too.

I know some cops around here that are also more willing to write a ticket for someone who slams on their brakes, since it's basically admitting guilt. Depends on the situation, though.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 01, 2011, 04:11:12 PM
If they're pulled over on the side of the road I'll let up on the gas to slow down a bit, but more for their safety than because I'm worried they'll pull me over too.

I know some cops around here that are also more willing to write a ticket for someone who slams on their brakes, since it's basically admitting guilt. Depends on the situation, though.
I only slow down if I'm in the right lane and I can't move over, which I believe is the law anyways.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

FlatBlackCaddy

Reminds me of a "scene" i saw years ago. I was downtown on a 4 lane stretch of freeway, the limit was 60MPH. I came upon a clump of about 30 cars spread across the two inside lanes. Everyone was going about 45MPH. I didn't understand until I saw a cop in the slow lane in front of everyone, kind of looked like a parade. So I blow by all them in the fast lane going a few MPH over 60, shook my head and never looked back.

I'm surprised the cop didn't pull over and congratulate me.  Obviously I was the only one to "pass the test". I think they do this sometimes just to mess with people. It's sad that the vast majority of people truly have no idea what the hell they are even doing behind the wheel.

dazzleman

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 02, 2011, 07:55:34 PM
Reminds me of a "scene" i saw years ago. I was downtown on a 4 lane stretch of freeway, the limit was 60MPH. I came upon a clump of about 30 cars spread across the two inside lanes. Everyone was going about 45MPH. I didn't understand until I saw a cop in the slow lane in front of everyone, kind of looked like a parade. So I blow by all them in the fast lane going a few MPH over 60, shook my head and never looked back.

I'm surprised the cop didn't pull over and congratulate me.  Obviously I was the only one to "pass the test". I think they do this sometimes just to mess with people. It's sad that the vast majority of people truly have no idea what the hell they are even doing behind the wheel.

Good for you, man.  I'll also be the one to pass a cop in that type of situation.  I'm not afraid of them.  I haven't been pulled over yet for that sort of thing.

I also like to get behind a speeding cop and follow him at a safe distance.  Sometimes, cops go barreling by at high speed, without their lights flashing, on some of the highways around here.  I love to get behind them at 90 mph or so and follow them for as long as I can.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Rupert

I'll pass cops, but only if I can do it without going more than a couple of MPH over. I hate it when people bunch up behind them, of course, but it's kind of to be expected with the kind of traffic enforcement we have in most of the country.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on September 04, 2011, 08:17:19 PM
I'll pass cops, but only if I can do it without going more than a couple of MPH over. I hate it when people bunch up behind them, of course, but it's kind of to be expected with the kind of traffic enforcement we have in most of the country.

Grow a pair.  Go blazing by the cop at 30 mph over the speed limit.  Dare him to pull you over... :evildude:

Rupert

There's having balls and there's being retarded.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

FlatBlackCaddy

Lately i've been thinking about blasting past officers when they are out of their car on a patrol stop. Maybe the "smokey and the bandit" esque images of a flustered cop grasping his hat and scurrying around as a car blazes past them at high speed is more cinematic amusement than reality. I'm sure I'll find out someday.

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on September 04, 2011, 10:37:43 PM
There's having balls and there's being retarded.

And in your case, having no balls and also being retarded..... ;)

[j/k man -- didn't want that to come across too harshly]

dazzleman

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 04, 2011, 11:24:20 PM
Lately i've been thinking about blasting past officers when they are out of their car on a patrol stop. Maybe the "smokey and the bandit" esque images of a flustered cop grasping his hat and scurrying around as a car blazes past them at high speed is more cinematic amusement than reality. I'm sure I'll find out someday.

:rockon:
I've been doing that too.  I used to be more cautious, but now I just blow past them when they're stopped with another motorist.  Nothing's happened yet.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: dazzleman on September 05, 2011, 05:57:39 AM
:rockon:
I've been doing that too.  I used to be more cautious, but now I just blow past them when they're stopped with another motorist.  Nothing's happened yet.

You need to get a loud exhaust for your car. BMW's sound good with straight pipes. :huh:
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

dazzleman

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 05, 2011, 06:50:09 AM
You need to get a loud exhaust for your car. BMW's sound good with straight pipes. :huh:

That would sure attract LE attention..... :pullover:

Rupert

dazzleman

The Phantom

Like.
"We?re surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."

sparkplug

Quote from: dazzleman on September 05, 2011, 07:19:37 AM
That would sure attract LE attention..... :pullover:

how about some glasspacks. They're legal. I think.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.