25 cities with the most speed traps

Started by Eye of the Tiger, September 03, 2011, 03:09:55 PM

Eye of the Tiger

Here?s the list, which includes both the cities and the number of speed traps per 100,000 residents according to the NMA study.

The 25 most speed trap-ridden cities in the U.S. and Canada
1. Livonia, Michigan 27.9
2. Windsor, Ontario 17.6
3. Orlando 17.2
4. Las Vegas 11.1
5. Denver 10.9
6. Reno, Nevada 10.4
7. Tampa 8.9
8. Colorado Springs, Colorado 7.2
9. Austin, Texas 6.1
10. Sarasota, Florida 6.1
11. Portland, Oregon 5.8
12. Jacksonville, Florida 5.4
13. San Antonio (Bexar County) 5.3
14. Fresno, California 5.0
15. Hamilton, Ontario 5.0
16. New Orleans 4.7
17. Toronto (Greater Toronto Area) 4.7
18. Houston (Harris County) 4.0
19. Edmonton, Alberta 3.3
20. San Diego (San Diego County) 3.2
21. Indianapolis 3.2
22. San Jose, California 3.1
23. Chicago (Cook County) 1.9
24. Los Angeles (Los Angeles County) 1.6
25. New York (Five boroughs) 0.9

sauce: http://www.leftlanenews.com/slow-down-the-25-most-speed-trap-ridden-cities-in-the-u-s-and-canada.html

This list seems fairly accurate to me.

I do believe Livonia and Windsor, same with Hamilton and Toronto. Everyone goes the speed limit or less whenever I'm truckin across through there. I stick to the speed limits when I'm in a truck, anyway, unless it really causes a traffic hazard. 

When I rented the C6 in Las Vegas, my friend warned me to stick to the speed limit around the city, and I did. There were many cops on the roads.  He actually got a ticket in Bumfuck, California.

I can say from experience that at least one of the cops around Indianapolis is a total hardass out to write as many tickets as possible, but he seemed like he was just following standard procedures, so I can safely assume that all the cops around Indianapolis are specifically trained to be hardasses.

Chicago is the only one I don't quite agree with. Everyone on the highways there drives at least 10 over, even the trucks. I think Chicago cops are really too busy looking for murders and drug dealers to be very strict with speed limits.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Soup DeVille

I think that smaller towns probably escaped under the radar (pun intended) on this list.

Sure, Livonia's bad: but not as bad as Allen Park or Pleasant Ridge: both towns that can claim jurisdiction over about a half a mile of interstate freeway, and are always there writing tickets.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Lebowski

Yeah, small towns can be far worse than any of the cities mentioned here.  4 cities in FL mentioned, but by far the worst speed trap in the state is little Waldo, FL.

S204STi

Denver is pretty bad.  On the way to Pueblo and back I had to pull back from warp speed as I entered both D-town and Springs.

dazzleman

Quote from: R-inge on September 04, 2011, 02:48:04 PM
Denver is pretty bad.  On the way to Pueblo and back I had to pull back from warp speed as I entered both D-town and Springs.

You never learn, man.... :rockon:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

TurboDan

Surprised that so many big cities are on the list. For one thing, traffic moves like molasses through most of them because of congestion and, generally speaking, police officers have much bigger things to deal with than traffic violations. In my experience, you have to be doing something outrageously stupid to get pulled over in a large city.

Rupert

Quote from: Lebowski on September 04, 2011, 08:47:55 AM
Yeah, small towns can be far worse than any of the cities mentioned here.  4 cities in FL mentioned, but by far the worst speed trap in the state is little Waldo, FL.

I never speed through small towns.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

dazzleman

Quote from: TurboDan on September 05, 2011, 06:14:20 PM
Surprised that so many big cities are on the list. For one thing, traffic moves like molasses through most of them because of congestion and, generally speaking, police officers have much bigger things to deal with than traffic violations. In my experience, you have to be doing something outrageously stupid to get pulled over in a large city.

I think that tells you a lot about the quality of the list.  Most of these lists are worthless and this one is no exception.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

dazzleman

2o6

Quote from: dazzleman on September 05, 2011, 06:19:50 PM
Grow a set... :rage:

When I got that ticket back in November, the cop told us why smaller towns ticket far more than a larger city (like Akron versus the surrounding suburbs, townships and cities). They do it because they have nothing to do. They generally have fewer calls and can afford to sit there and ticket. The cop said if he were to bust people going as high as 15 over, he'd be ticketing all day, and there are too many calls for that. You have to be doing something really crazy to get pulled over.

Colonel Cadillac

They're probably factoring in speed cameras, which I bet some of these cities have a lot of.

dazzleman

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on September 05, 2011, 08:48:01 PM
They're probably factoring in speed cameras, which I bet some of these cities have a lot of.

Cities are more likely to have red light cameras.

93JC

Our red light cameras double as speed cameras. If you pass through the intersection on a green light and are speeding, you get a ticket. If you run a red light you get a ticket. If you run a red light while speeding you get TWO tickets.

dazzleman

Quote from: 93JC on September 05, 2011, 08:57:31 PM
Our red light cameras double as speed cameras. If you pass through the intersection on a green light and are speeding, you get a ticket. If you run a red light you get a ticket. If you run a red light while speeding you get TWO tickets.

I don't consider those real tickets.  They're more like parking tickets.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: dazzleman on September 05, 2011, 08:59:44 PM
I don't consider those real tickets.  They're more like parking tickets.

For us poor folk they're $70 and that's a trip to the grocery store.

Rupert

"Us poor folk"?! Hahahahaha, that's a good one!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Rupert

And his point was that you don't really earn those tickets, not that it's too cheap for his rich self to care.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on September 05, 2011, 11:39:12 PM

For us poor folk they're $70 and that's a trip to the grocery store.
They're $95 here in Cleveland/East Cleveland.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

dazzleman

Quote from: Rupert on September 06, 2011, 12:00:39 AM
And his point was that you don't really earn those tickets, not that it's too cheap for his rich self to care.

Yes.  My comment had nothing to do with cost.  I don't give a fuck about the cost of a regular ticket.

Getting a ticket in the mail isn't the same as getting pulled over and having a cop hand you the ticket at the side of the road.  And the camera tickets don't go on your driving record.  They're much more like parking tickets.

Cookie Monster

Also, $70 at the grocery store = high roller.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Byteme

Nice to see Texas is keeping the dream of freedom alive with three cities on the list.  I drive through a notorious speed trap every day on the way to work (610 loop by the Astrodome)  There are always cops on the inside shoulder there waiting for speeders to come over the rise.  And they never seem to lack for customers.   :rolleyes:   People never learn.

Tave

Quote from: dazzleman on September 06, 2011, 12:53:28 AM
Getting a ticket in the mail isn't the same as getting pulled over and having a cop hand you the ticket at the side of the road.  And the camera tickets don't go on your driving record.  They're much more like parking tickets.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I had my carrier run my driving record a few years ago and they saw a camera ticket I received in Arizona.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Colonel Cadillac

Quote from: MiataJohn on September 06, 2011, 08:29:39 AM
Nice to see Texas is keeping the dream of freedom alive with three cities on the list.  I drive through a notorious speed trap every day on the way to work (610 loop by the Astrodome)  There are always cops on the inside shoulder there waiting for speeders to come over the rise.  And they never seem to lack for customers.   :rolleyes:   People never learn.

Radar detector to the rescue!

I'm honestly surprised so few people actually have one. When I drive from New Orleans to Connecticut and vice versa, I typically avoid a couple of speed traps because my radar detector lets me know a cop is shooting radar up in the distance.

Byteme

Quote from: Colonel Cadillac on September 06, 2011, 02:05:33 PM

Radar detector to the rescue!

I'm honestly surprised so few people actually have one. When I drive from New Orleans to Connecticut and vice versa, I typically avoid a couple of speed traps because my radar detector lets me know a cop is shooting radar up in the distance.

I've had one in each car for the past 27 years.  Trouble is they suck when it comes to Laser.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MiataJohn on September 06, 2011, 02:47:36 PM
I've had one in each car for the past 27 years.  Trouble is they suck when it comes to Laser.

Yes. There is enough laser out there now that I gave up and sold my nice Passport 8500. I keep thinking abouy buying a new cheaper one just because I do so much highway driving now.

Xer0

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 03, 2011, 03:09:55 PM

Chicago is the only one I don't quite agree with. Everyone on the highways there drives at least 10 over, even the trucks. I think Chicago cops are really too busy looking for murders and drug dealers to be very strict with speed limits.

I don't actually doubt it since that includes all of Cook county.  The city more or less doesn't give a shit if you speed (65/70 is pretty much the defacto speed limit on the 290/90 within the city limits) but the suburbs in Cook are a fucking mess with cops that are pretty much bored out of their mind and itching for something to do.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Xer0 on September 06, 2011, 03:47:19 PM
I don't actually doubt it since that includes all of Cook county.  The city more or less doesn't give a shit if you speed (65/70 is pretty much the defacto speed limit on the 290/90 within the city limits) but the suburbs in Cook are a fucking mess with cops that are pretty much bored out of their mind and itching for something to do.

That's a good point. I was thinking more of the interstates, but when I drive down North Ave into the suburbs, practically nobody speeds. On top of that, the speedlimits are stupidly low on that road, like 35-45. It is extremely hard for me to drive that slow on a road like that.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 06, 2011, 03:46:22 PM
Yes. There is enough laser out there now that I gave up and sold my nice Passport 8500. I keep thinking abouy buying a new cheaper one just because I do so much highway driving now.

Laser is always used from a stationary car, most commonly in the daylight, and almost always in the line of sight to approaching traffic. Your best indicator of radar being used up ahead is the brakelights from traffic in front of you.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 06, 2011, 04:03:11 PM
Laser is always used from a stationary car, most commonly in the daylight, and almost always in the line of sight to approaching traffic. Your best indicator of radar being used up ahead is the brakelights from traffic in front of you.

Yes, the brake light radar detector is pretty good, but sometimes they hode in the damn woods where you can't see them unless you look in your mirror.