King of Bling?

Started by Tom, September 29, 2005, 07:24:01 PM

Tom

King of Bling? Cadillac hoping hip-hop input will help make 2007 Escalade a hit
JASON STEIN | Automotive News
Posted Date: 9/27/05
DETROIT -- General Motors might not have Snoop Dogg in a commercial. But it will have a Cadillac with factory-installed 22-inch wheels.

GM is still a few months away from unveiling its next generation of Cadillac SUVs, but the automaker already is nicknaming its 2007 Escalade the "King of Bling." GM can thank a few trendsetters for the tips.

Two years ago, during the early development of its next-generation Escalade SUV, GM brought in more than 30 of the biggest names in sports and entertainment as consultants on the vehicle.

A month ago, GM brought back the same group to make sure Cadillac got everything just right.

"We had a private showing to these same guys, and they gave us input that we then brought back," says Jim Taylor, Cadillac's general marketing manager. "They took another look, and I was pleased to hear from these hip-hop guys, 'I'm not going to have to do anything to this vehicle," in the aftermarket. "That was music to my ears."

To bling up the Escalade, Cadillac made 22-inch wheels optional (the 2006 model offers 20-inch wheels), added a glitzier chrome grille and used interior materials such as continuously lit white-LED backlighting and richer fabrics.

Taylor says designing the Escalade to meet the tastes of the influencer is not easy.

"It's a fine line," he says. "If it becomes commercialized, it looks forced, and immediately that group can turn on you."

The Escalade will be available in the first quarter next year.

giant_mtb

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Tom

QuoteThat's dumb.
But Snoop Dog likes it.

thewizard16

Great. Now ONLY rappers will buy it. And the middle aged women with an odd attraction to rims. Still haven't figured those doctor's wives out.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Raghavan

ifcar

QuoteGreat. Now ONLY rappers will buy it. And the middle aged women with an odd attraction to rims. Still haven't figured those doctor's wives out.
They're optional, not standard. Anyone who doesn't want them doesn't have to get them.

thewizard16

QuoteGreat. Now ONLY rappers will buy it. And the middle aged women with an odd attraction to rims. Still haven't figured those doctor's wives out.
They're optional, not standard. Anyone who doesn't want them doesn't have to get them.
Oh, thank goodness.  
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

Secret Chimp

I've seen maybe three Escalades that have the stock blocky-starfish wheels; I'll bet that a sizable majority of previous Escalade buyers have custom wheels.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Fire It Up

Why cant they spend that money to make a Colorado with a kickass V8?

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

ifcar

QuoteI've seen maybe three Escalades that have the stock blocky-starfish wheels; I'll bet that a sizable majority of previous Escalade buyers have custom wheels.
I see plenty with the standard wheels. And remember that people who buy custom wheels like the idea of choosing their own, not sticking with what the factory offers.  

Tom

QuoteWhy cant they spend that money to make a Colorado with a kickass V8?
I don't think it's really costing that much money.  It's based on an existing car with some gangsta styling changes.

And the Colorado is a compact truck.  A V8 would be unprecedented, have too much power, and would push an expensive truck even higher.  That, and no one would buy it :lol:   A kickass V6 to match Nissan and Toyota would be cool though.  Then you could choose between a good 4, 5, or 6 :rockon:  

ifcar

The Colorado/Canyon is one of the least expensive trucks in its class. The pricier Dakota equipped with a V8 sells well.  

Tom

QuoteThe Colorado/Canyon is one of the least expensive trucks in its class. The pricier Dakota equipped with a V8 sells well.
The Dakota is much bigger, there is reason for a V8.  

The only car that is similar in size is the Ranger.  

Fully loaded it is almost 30k, and this is very expensive.  

You seriously think the Colorado should come with V8?

ifcar

Loaded at $30K sounds expensive, but then look at what everything else costs.

A V8 is needed for people who demand more power and towing ability than the current version can offer, and for bragging rights.  

Tom

QuoteLoaded at $30K sounds expensive, but then look at what everything else costs.

A V8 is needed for people who demand more power and towing ability than the current version can offer, and for bragging rights.
I don't think you understand how small the Colorado is.  That would be like putting a V8 in a Civic.  Yeah, it would be cool, but you just don't do it.

ifcar

What do you mean? It isn't that small, it's a pickup truck. Competitors like the Tacoma have inflated, that doesn't make the Colorado any smaller.

It's not about being cool, it's about being useful. By 07, two competitors (Dakota and Sport Trac) will have available V8s. The Colorado isn't slated to have anything larger than the I5. Something's wrong there, and it's easily correctable. There's no reason that the Colorado should have to be both smaller and weaker than virtually every competitor.  

Tom

QuoteWhat do you mean? It isn't that small, it's a pickup truck. Competitors like the Tacoma have inflated, that doesn't make the Colorado any smaller.

It's not about being cool, it's about being useful. By 07, two competitors (Dakota and Sport Trac) will have available V8s. The Colorado isn't slated to have anything larger than the I5. Something's wrong there, and it's easily correctable. There's no reason that the Colorado should have to be both smaller and weaker than virtually every competitor.
The Sport Trac and Dakota aren't competitors, and the Tacoma is a stretch.  The only true competitor on the market is the Ranger.

ifcar

They're all competitors, there aren't enough other trucks on the market to be size-picky. Everything smaller than a Tundra competes IMO.  

JYODER240

I in no way at all mean this to sound racist. But here goes: they are getting imput from rappers, hip-hop artists, professional athletes, etc. There majority of them are african-americans. I saw a statistic that only 17% of Escalade owners are african-american. Aren't they kinda of missing their market by designing the car for the rappers, etc? Besides only like 1 out of every 20 Escalades i see is pimped out with 24's or whatever, but maybe thats just b/c of where i live.  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

ifcar

Again, such features will be optional. The rest of the car will also be improved enough, presumably, to make it even more attractive to other luxury SUV shoppers.  

Fire It Up

QuoteLoaded at $30K sounds expensive, but then look at what everything else costs.

I don't think you understand how small the Colorado is.  That would be like putting a V8 in a Civic.  Yeah, it would be cool, but you just don't do it.
Have you seen the C/D supercar shootouts? One had a V8 S10 or something. It kicked ass.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

thewizard16

Have you seen the C/D supercar shootouts? One had a V8 S10 or something. It kicked ass.
I don't care what you put in an S10, it's still an S10.  <_<  
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

mazda6er

Ah, but to the untrained eye it is one hell of a truck.  ;)  "That thing got a Hemi?!"  :rolleyes:  
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Raghavan

Ah, but to the untrained eye it is one hell of a truck.  ;)  "That thing got a Hemi?!"  :rolleyes:
:mello:

Run Away

Submariner

Still a cheap, overly hyped SUV that is 90% similar to its Chevy and GMC cousins, just with a huge markup.  

They need to scrap the current model, and build it using the peramaters used in the rest of the Caddy lineup, before I would even think of considering it.  
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

ifcar

QuoteStill a cheap, overly hyped SUV that is 90% similar to its Chevy and GMC cousins, just with a huge markup.  

They need to scrap the current model, and build it using the peramaters used in the rest of the Caddy lineup, before I would even think of considering it.
That IS what they're doing. The 07 model will have similar styling, but entirely new mechanicals.  

Submariner

QuoteStill a cheap, overly hyped SUV that is 90% similar to its Chevy and GMC cousins, just with a huge markup. 

That IS what they're doing. The 07 model will have similar styling, but entirely new mechanicals.
Oh, I thought it was based on the current platform just with different nits and peices here and there thorighotu the interior.  My mistake.  
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550