FWD mini Mercedes SLK in the works

Started by cawimmer430, September 07, 2011, 10:45:57 AM

cawimmer430

Quote from: Raza  on September 12, 2011, 09:12:49 AM
You'd be just as happy in an Eos. 

Not really. Not a fan of the styling.

I don't really like the new SLK from a design point of view either UNLESS it has the AMG package. That's the only way it'll look good.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Xer0

I think that we?re all jumping the gun here.  The only way that this car will really hurt MB is if it proves to be a bad car undeserving of the badge.  As much as we harp on MB?s here  (mostly as a counter to Wimmer it seems like) their product is still exceptionally good at what it tries to be; a luxury car and their H&H will still remain substantial as long as their product is still that good.  H&H is a standard to live up to not an excuse to sell shit.  If this is a good car that lives up to the MB standard then it will be a good fit to the brand and won?t dilute it one bit.  The question is can  you live up the MB standard at that price point?  The product planners at MB think that they can so let?s wait and see.

I can see something like this working.  Right now if you want a roadster under 50K you?re pretty much stuck with an MX-5 and a 370Z, both of which appeal to us on this forum but are probably too extreme for a lot of people.  Sure, you can add the Mustang and Camaro ragtops in there too but those cars will be massive in comparison to this.  If you want a stylish and comfortable roadster you?re pretty much forced to jump up to the SLK/Z4 and shell out a minimum of 50K.  If this thing starts at 30/35K and offers a similar experience as the SLK at a lower price, and with lower limits most likely, more power to MB.

Onslaught

RWD  superior FWD inferior. Or for a roadster it is anyway. That alone will make me never like it for more then eye candy for a rich woman.

NomisR

Quote from: Onslaught on September 13, 2011, 05:53:01 PM
RWD  superior FWD inferior. Or for a roadster it is anyway. That alone will make me never like it for more then eye candy for a rich woman.

For it's intent and purpose, it'll sell.. It'll make Mercedes money while diluting the H&H.  But they have so much H&H flowing out of the wazoo that they can spare some.

Onslaught

Quote from: NomisR on September 13, 2011, 05:57:21 PM
For it's intent and purpose, it'll sell.. It'll make Mercedes money while diluting the H&H.  But they have so much H&H flowing out of the wazoo that they can spare some.
Oh, I never said it wouldn't sell. I'm sure it will sell very well.  They won't ever sell one to me but that wasn't going to happen anyway.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Xer0 on September 13, 2011, 03:59:33 PM
I think that we?re all jumping the gun here.  The only way that this car will really hurt MB is if it proves to be a bad car undeserving of the badge.  As much as we harp on MB?s here  (mostly as a counter to Wimmer it seems like) their product is still exceptionally good at what it tries to be; a luxury car and their H&H will still remain substantial as long as their product is still that good.  H&H is a standard to live up to not an excuse to sell shit.  If this is a good car that lives up to the MB standard then it will be a good fit to the brand and won?t dilute it one bit.  The question is can  you live up the MB standard at that price point?  The product planners at MB think that they can so let?s wait and see.

I can see something like this working.  Right now if you want a roadster under 50K you?re pretty much stuck with an MX-5 and a 370Z, both of which appeal to us on this forum but are probably too extreme for a lot of people.  Sure, you can add the Mustang and Camaro ragtops in there too but those cars will be massive in comparison to this.  If you want a stylish and comfortable roadster you?re pretty much forced to jump up to the SLK/Z4 and shell out a minimum of 50K.  If this thing starts at 30/35K and offers a similar experience as the SLK at a lower price, and with lower limits most likely, more power to MB.

Good argument.  :ohyeah:

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: NomisR on September 13, 2011, 05:57:21 PM
For it's intent and purpose, it'll sell.. It'll make Mercedes money while diluting the H&H.  But they have so much H&H flowing out of the wazoo that they can spare some.

80% of BMW 1-Series owners thought their car was FWD.

And they still like their BMWs because of the badge. I don't see any brand dilution here.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

Quote from: Xer0 on September 13, 2011, 03:59:33 PM

I agree with part of your comment -- if this car is good enough, it doesn't matter whether it's rear-drive.

I'm not sure I agree with the part about MB being exceptionally good at what it tries to be, unless you mean it does an exceptionally good job at tricking people into paying inflated prices. (If that's what you meant, no arguments there!) But I'd have trouble looking at, say, the C-Class or GLK as exceptional products.

cawimmer430

Quote from: ifcar on September 14, 2011, 08:48:06 AM
But I'd have trouble looking at, say, the C-Class or GLK as exceptional products.

Just because the C-Class doesn't make BMW and Driver's 10 Best List doesn't mean...  :devil:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

SVT32V

They should regurgitate another old British name, call this a triumph or MG, copying the mini success as people suggested. Albeit niether one of those were fwders in their day

CALL_911

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 14, 2011, 09:01:24 AM
Just because the C-Class doesn't make BMW and Driver's 10 Best List doesn't mean...  :devil:

Oh, but it does.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Xer0

Quote from: ifcar on September 14, 2011, 08:48:06 AM
I agree with part of your comment -- if this car is good enough, it doesn't matter whether it's rear-drive.

I'm not sure I agree with the part about MB being exceptionally good at what it tries to be, unless you mean it does an exceptionally good job at tricking people into paying inflated prices. (If that's what you meant, no arguments there!) But I'd have trouble looking at, say, the C-Class or GLK as exceptional products.

Lower end MB's have never really felt 'special' and I agree, the C/GLK are merely "OK" for their class (unless you're talking about the C63, which is awesome).  But E class and up and I'd argue that they are.  No matter what MB does with the C-class, something like an S, CL, or an SL will always be special and will always command a certain respect.  Not because of the badge but because of the car itself.

Which leads to the problem; Mercedes has yet to create a truly great down market car that I can think of.  The GLK is largely an also ran, I can't speak for the refreshed C but the 08-11 base models weren't anything special, the old C-coupe thingy was all sorts of meh, and I still don't have high hopes for the new A/B (which this will be based on).  I?m personally curious on what this thing will end up being like and am willing to give it a shot.

cawimmer430

Quote from: CALL_911 on September 14, 2011, 09:54:38 AM
Oh, but it does.

Get real. The world's favorite girl car is on that list all the time - the BMW 3-Series.  :devil:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Onslaught

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 14, 2011, 08:40:21 AM

And they still like their BMWs because of the badge. I don't see any brand dilution here.
Then 80% of people who have BMW 1-Series are dumb. And 100% of the people who buy a car just for the badge are idiots.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Onslaught on September 14, 2011, 04:15:11 PM
Then 80% of people who have BMW 1-Series are dumb. And 100% of the people who buy a car just for the badge are idiots.

80% of 1-Series owners aren't enthusiasts in the sense that we are or they're just after the badge or they simply have no clue in general about cars except that the BMW badge is magic!  :tounge:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

NomisR

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 14, 2011, 08:40:21 AM

Because BMW has a lot of H&H flowiing of of the wazoo too!  Lexus won't be able to pull it off because they have no H&H.

cawimmer430

Quote from: NomisR on September 14, 2011, 04:38:19 PM
Because BMW has a lot of H&H flowiing of of the wazoo too!  Lexus won't be able to pull it off because they have no H&H.

You're learning. :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

CALL_911

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 14, 2011, 04:19:23 PM
80% of 1-Series owners aren't enthusiasts in the sense that we are or they're just after the badge or they simply have no clue in general about cars except that the BMW badge is magic!  :tounge:

Just like 100% of Mercedes owners!

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

NomisR

cawimmer430

I really don't understand why people hate FWD so much.

Some of the coolest cars ever were FWD including some luxury cars: Cadillac Eldorado, Oldsmobile Toronado, Citroem SM, Citroen DS, Citroen 2CV, Citroen GS, Citroen Traction Avant, Citroen CX, Renault R4, MINI Cooper, Honda Civic, Honda Accord etc.

Nobody is forcing anyone here to buy this FWD Roadster.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 15, 2011, 07:18:12 AM
I really don't understand why people hate FWD so much.

Some of the coolest cars ever were FWD including some luxury cars: Cadillac Eldorado, Oldsmobile Toronado, Citroem SM, Citroen DS, Citroen 2CV, Citroen GS, Citroen Traction Avant, Citroen CX, Renault R4, MINI Cooper, Honda Civic, Honda Accord etc.

Nobody is forcing anyone here to buy this FWD Roadster.

No one hates FWD.  FWD done right is great.  It's a great compromise between traction and agility, and it's a lot easier to do FWD right than AWD right.  But when you're in a sports car, there doesn't need to be that compromise. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=25651.msg1581451#msg1581451 date=1316093500
No one hates FWD.  FWD done right is great.  It's a great compromise between traction and agility, and it's a lot easier to do FWD right than AWD right.  But when you're in a sports car, there doesn't need to be that compromise. 
[/b]
This is the problem. I don't care that a Camry or Altima is FWD. They should be and it's the perfect setup for that kind of car.

You make a two seat, convertible car and it should be a sports car. And a FWD car can NEVER be a sports car.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Onslaught on September 15, 2011, 06:13:19 PM
And a FWD car can NEVER be a sports car.

I usually :rolleyes: when people are anal about the definition of what a sports car is, but I'll have to fully agree here.

Onslaught

Quote from: Vinsanity on September 15, 2011, 06:16:50 PM
I usually :rolleyes: when people are anal about the definition of what a sports car is, but I'll have to fully agree here.
I'm not anal at all about definitions. By definition the Miata isn't a roadster. By definition a 911 isn't a sport car.
Fuck all that shit. But a FWD car can't be a sports car. It can be sporty but not a sports car.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Onslaught on September 15, 2011, 06:19:56 PM
I'm not anal at all about definitions. By definition the Miata isn't a roadster. By definition a 911 isn't a sport car.
Fuck all that shit. But a FWD car can't be a sports car. It can be sporty but not a sports car.

:hesaid:

Raza

I am anal about definitions, but you all knew that already. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Galaxy

Quote from: Onslaught on September 15, 2011, 06:13:19 PM
[/b]
And a FWD car can NEVER be a sports car.

I am not disagreeing with you (however I would include a properly made AWD system ? la GT-R), however one should keep in mind that on certain N?rburgring corners, the Mini Cooper S JCW beat cars like the Aston Martin DB9, and Ferrari 575M in terms of cornering speed.