FWD mini Mercedes SLK in the works

Started by cawimmer430, September 07, 2011, 10:45:57 AM

cawimmer430

Let the FWD hate begin!  :lol:

Mercedes SLA roadster will smoke its front tires in 2013

Mercedes-Benz is preparing an Audi TT fighter for 2013 based on the company's B-Class architecture. Dubbed the SLA, the smallest Mercedes roadster will deliver grunt to its front wheels, a first for a two-door drop top wearing the three-pointed star.

Engines include a 1.6-liter direct injection turbo four-pot, or a 1.8-liter turbo diesel for our friends in Europe. Transmission options will include either a new seven-speed dual-clutch arrangement or a six-speed row-your-own.

Apparently, a soft top will be the only roof option available, in an attempt to keep costs reigned in. Speaking of costs, we don't have a solid number, but GoAuto.com reports it should ring the register at about $65k Australian.

Link: http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/06/mercedes-sla-roadster-will-smoke-its-front-tires-in-2013/
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Laconian

Um, why? Roadsters are ideally suited for RWD. This smells like a car that is built to a cost.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on September 07, 2011, 10:48:23 AM
Um, why? Roadsters are ideally suited for RWD. This smells like a car that is built to a cost.

It is supposed to be an entry-level car slotted underneath the SLK. And since it is based on the new B-Class platform it'll naturally be FWD. Maybe an AWD version will come along. Who knows.

Clearly this car isn't aimed at the hardcore purists who insist that everything they touch needs to be RWD. If 80% of the people who bought a BMW 1-Series thought it was FWD...

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

ifcar

Quote from: Laconian on September 07, 2011, 10:48:23 AM

Little front-drive convertibles seem pretty common in Europe. How many RWD two-seaters should Mercedes have in its lineup?

CJ

Seems like a good enough idea to me.  The Fiat Barchetta was FWD and, to quote Richard Hammond, "Felt special.  And that's all that matters."  If this can feel special, then it will have succeeded. 

cawimmer430

The Audi TT is also available as a FWD car in Europe.

All French and Italian cars in this class that may be cross-shopped with this Mercedes are also FWD (Peugeot RCZ, Renault Megane, Alfa Romeo Mito/Brera etc.)

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Laconian

Those cars (Peugeot RCZ, Renault Megane, Alfa Romeo Mito/Brera) also have stricter requirements for passenger comfort than a roadster does, since they come with rear seats and large payloads. Who cares if RWD requires a driveshaft tunnel if there aren't any rear seats to begin with? And who's going to drive a low-slung roadster in the snow? In my eyes, roadsters see heaps of benefit and very little downside with RWD.

2o6

The Brera, RCZ and TT are also far cheaper, too.

A Small FWD SLK could work, but it would need to be a 2+2 (like the other cars) in order to make any sense at all.

Galaxy

So basically it is what the Smart forfun used to be. Perhaps a tad larger.

Onslaught

First of all that thing is fucking ugly.
And fuck FWD.

And a cheap, FWD M-B shouldn't be in Luxury talk.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Onslaught on September 07, 2011, 04:25:06 PM
First of all that thing is fucking ugly.
And fuck FWD.

It's the "SLA" concept from a few years back.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Atomic

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 07, 2011, 11:07:03 AM
The Audi TT is also available as a FWD car in Europe.

All French and Italian cars in this class that may be cross-shopped with this Mercedes are also FWD (Peugeot RCZ, Renault Megane, Alfa Romeo Mito/Brera etc.)

wow! never knew this about all of the above mentioned cars. need to learn more about cars overseas.

Soup DeVille

OK, let me get this straight.

SLR: Sportlich Leicht Rennsport (sport, light, racing)

SL: Sportlich Leicht (sport light)

SLK: (Sportlich Leicht Kurz sport, light, kurz

the next step would be? SLKK?

so what's SLA stand for?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

93JC

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 07, 2011, 11:44:59 PM

Short.

Galaxy

Quote from: Onslaught on September 07, 2011, 04:25:06 PM

The TT has been put in Luxury Talk.

Galaxy

I think the K stands for kompakt.

mzziaz

so what's SLA stand for?

Das Schweinhund Lahmarsch Auto
Cuore Sportivo

AltinD

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

Onslaught

sportyaccordy

Lolololol @ this

A Lexus ES has more H&H? (SERIOUSLY)

I'm sure the Eos, RCZ and Megane hardtop will be cheaper while offering more

But this will be a hit for no reason other than the 3 pointed star

What a joke :wtf:

cawimmer430

so what's SLA stand for?

There are even more from the glorious HISTORY & HERITAGE past!  :praise:

S = Super

SS = Super Sport

SSK = Super Sport Kurz

SSKL = Super Sport Kurz Leicht

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 08, 2011, 06:08:17 AM
I'm sure the Eos, RCZ and Megane hardtop will be cheaper while offering more

Cheaper. Yes.

Offering more? HUH? So you can get AIRSCARF on a Megane Convertible or Eos? Or PRESAFE? Or MAGIC SKY CONTROL? DYNAMIC HANDLING PACKAGE? INTELLIGENT LIGHT SYSTEM?

Gee, I never knew those things were offered by Renault or Volkswagen. And it took a guy from across the ocean to inform me about this. Thanks!  :rolleyes:

Quote from: sportyaccordy on September 08, 2011, 06:08:17 AMBut this will be a hit for no reason other than the 3 pointed star

Yep! All those people buying entry-level Boxsters, Z4s and TTs buy them because of the way they drive and not the badge. So true!

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Tave

Mercedes already has a model that competes with the Boxster, Z4, and TT.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Laconian

I should have made an airscarf for my Miata by duct taping the ends of two hair dryers into a "U" shape and affixing it to the back of the seat :lol:

cawimmer430

Quote from: Tave on September 08, 2011, 11:21:06 AM
Mercedes already has a model that competes with the Boxster, Z4, and TT.

Yep - the SLK.

This car is slotted below the SLK and will apparently be FWD since it'll be based on the new B-Class platform. And many of the features the new SLK has will undoubtedly find their way into the SLA.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 08, 2011, 11:23:28 AM
Yep - the SLK.

This car is slotted below the SLK and will apparently be FWD since it'll be based on the new B-Class platform. And many of the features the new SLK has will undoubtedly find their way into the SLA.

Maybe, maybe not.  Features drive up the price. 

And as for the features, the Eos and other CCs all have two things it seems the SLA won't--rear seats. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 08, 2011, 11:23:28 AM
Yep - the SLK.

You're missing the point.

The SLA won't sell for the same reasons as the SLK, Z4, et al. It's a mistake to compare it to that class.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.