VW Beetle R

Started by Galaxy, September 15, 2011, 11:30:27 AM

Galaxy

VW is not yet revealing what engine is under the hood.

Auto Motor und Sport.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Galaxy

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 15, 2011, 11:32:22 AM
I'm guessing W8. :devil:

I'm guessing turbocharged I4.  ;)

It is a shame about the W8. In many ways it was more modern then the VR6 is today.

2o6

Dollars to dougnhuts the 2.0TSI.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 2o6 on September 15, 2011, 11:44:23 AM
Dollars to dougnhuts the 2.0TSI.

I will eat your dog nuts and raise you a 1.4 TSI
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Probably the same thing as the Golf R.  Three things and I'd buy this car:

1.  Less shiny wheels
2.  Stickshift
3.  AWD
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

GoCougs

Read a few test of the Beetle. I thought it was GTI based but it is actually new-Jetta based...

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on September 15, 2011, 12:02:16 PM
Read a few test of the Beetle. I thought it was GTI based but it is actually new-Jetta based...

They're all (Golf, Beetle, Jetta) built on the same A5 (PQ35) platform, so they're all related cars.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Galaxy

Quote from: GoCougs on September 15, 2011, 12:02:16 PM

Both are on the PQ35 plattform. THe Jetta has an extended version of the plattform. The Beetle actually has slightly less wheel base then the Golf. 2,537 mm compared to 2,578 mm.

2o6

Quote from: MX793 on September 15, 2011, 12:08:35 PM
They're all (Golf, Beetle, Jetta) built on the same A5 (PQ35) platform, so they're all related cars.

I could have sworn that the new Jetta and Beetle are on the new FWD Transverse MQB platform.

Galaxy

Quote from: 2o6 on September 15, 2011, 12:24:32 PM
I could have sworn that the new Jetta and Beetle are on the new FWD Transverse MQB platform.

The coming A3 will be the first car on MQB.

GoCougs

New-Jetta based as in torsion bar rear on cheaper models, cheapish materials, and de-emphasis on the driving experience. Problem is, at least with the Jetta, the trade-off is a bigger, roomier, more conventional car (which has been a runaway success).

Galaxy

Quote from: GoCougs on September 15, 2011, 12:27:48 PM
New-Jetta based as in torsion bar rear on cheaper models, cheapish materials, and de-emphasis on the driving experience. Problem is, at least with the Jetta, the trade-off is a bigger, roomier, more conventional car (which has been a runaway success).

Well I don't know what the US will get. The european Jetta has the same materials, suspension, and brakes as the Golf does.

2o6

I don't think that really counts, because the EU Jetta is the same car but changes all those things. (EU Jetta has a multilink setup and better interior quality)

The new Jetta is really just a cheap Golf sedan. (Hasn't it always been?)

MX793

The Jetta is offered with either a torsion beam rear suspension or multi-link independent rear suspension depending on the market it is sold in and the trim level.  All Euro-market Jettas have the multi-link suspension.  In the US, lower trims get the torsion beam, but the GLI has the multi-link setup.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

S204STi

I totally dig it.  Manages not to look like the feminine turd that the previous car was.  Nice and aggressive with handsome lines.  Sort of - bear with me - reminds me a bit of the 930-series Turbo.  Just saw one of those today, so the round headlights, and shape of the windows, the rear spoiler, and overall proportions somewhat mimic it IMO.

cawimmer430

If the regular Beetle is a girl-car, then this must be for tomboys, eh?
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

Agreed.  They took the enthusiasm out for sales volume.  I'm disappointed, but at least we still have the GTI.  Although, I wish we'd get the Scirocco.  I'm obviously not very image conscious, but the Beetle has like 12 years of girl car stigma to work off. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Onslaught

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 15, 2011, 04:54:30 PM
If the regular Beetle is a girl-car, then this must be for tomboys, eh?
dyke

Atomic

inspected two all new 2012 beetles just this a.m. unlike the new '11 jetta, there was no obvious skimping on materials. everything felt nearly audi-like. one car was a powder blue. the other, a hot (yes, hot) white model with cool black details, i.e., "T U R B O" decal on the bottom portion of the side/doors. a rear spoiler looked perfectly at home attached to the rear of the turbo model. the interior was done in an attractive black cloth with subtle striping.