What do you think?

Started by shp4man, September 23, 2011, 08:23:06 PM

hounddog

Quote from: shp4man on September 26, 2011, 04:38:18 PM
Ahh...a Dodge truck guy. I've heard it's OK if you change the fluid and filter every 30,000. :huh:
They still give out.

The problem was they took a 40 year old transmission and added an OD without properly increasing valve and flow sizes, and, they used 3.55 gears as the standard.  They ALL give out eventually with those gears because the OD with too little fluid flow causes them to overheat.  It is inevitable.

The ones with 3.92 gears did not suffer from the same fate. 
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

hounddog

Quote from: 68_427 on September 26, 2011, 03:55:08 PM
The SRT rims were 22s.
Then the surrendering will happen before the intersection.  :lol:
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

hotrodalex

Quote from: shp4man on September 26, 2011, 09:13:40 AM
Lowering the rear consists of lowering blocks. These don't change the leaf springs, they only move the axle higher in relation to the spring.

The leafs are under the axle? I figured they would be on top, meaning blocks would lift the truck...

Unless you flip the axle, but that would be enough lowering by itself.

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

93JC

Quote from: Secret Chimp on September 26, 2011, 04:03:57 PM
I'd leave it alone. Those wheels have aged a lot better than the weird giant-aluminum-teardrops that came on higher trim levels.

:hesaid:

It's a V6 work truck. Those steelies suit it perfectly.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 26, 2011, 07:57:13 PM
The leafs are under the axle? I figured they would be on top, meaning blocks would lift the truck...

Unless you flip the axle, but that would be enough lowering by itself.

Spring-over-axle leaf suspensions are pretty rare.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Secret Chimp on September 26, 2011, 04:46:26 PM
Replace with TorqueFlite, drive ten gazillion miles.

46RE is a TorkFlyte. Same crap, different name.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

93JC

46RE is a TorqueFlite with an extra gear and electronic gizmos that buggered up the inherent awesomeness of the 727.

shp4man

It's actually a 42RE according to the build sheet. I read they only put that one behind V6's. It's also in Jeep Cherokees. I changed the fluid in it after I bought it, there was nothing nasty in the pan. It does have this weird thing where it stays in 3rd gear if you keep your foot in it, but only under certain load conditions. I'll say a couple of Hail Marys and cross myself real good next time I check the fluid in it... ;). It does have 3:55 gears, though. I will say that when the torque converter locks up and you come to a hill, it is without balls at all till it kicks down. V6 I guess.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on September 27, 2011, 02:48:55 PM
It's actually a 42RE according to the build sheet. I read they only put that one behind V6's. It's also in Jeep Cherokees. I changed the fluid in it after I bought it, there was nothing nasty in the pan. It does have this weird thing where it stays in 3rd gear if you keep your foot in it, but only under certain load conditions. I'll say a couple of Hail Marys and cross myself real good next time I check the fluid in it... ;). It does have 3:55 gears, though. I will say that when the torque converter locks up and you come to a hill, it is without balls at all till it kicks down. V6 I guess.

It should feel like a rocket compared to your last vehicle :evildude:

shp4man

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 27, 2011, 02:54:32 PM
It should feel like a rocket compared to your last vehicle :evildude:

It does. It's a very large, green rocket that's as wide as an aircraft carrier compared to my last ride.  :lol:

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: shp4man on September 27, 2011, 03:05:29 PM
It does. It's a very large, green rocket that's as wide as an aircraft carrier compared to my last ride.  :lol:

That sounds awesome. Now I want one.

68_427

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on September 27, 2011, 03:07:32 PM
That sounds awesome. Now I want one.

You want a Ferd with the 300.  As far as I know the max overbore you can safely go is 60 over (I wouldn't even go that far, maybe 40 over), pushing the cubes to 309. You can increase the stroke to 4.375 inches pushing cubes to 338c.i. If you going to stroke it though, better off saving some cash and getting a turbo.

Next step would be to increase compression. I think for your F150 your only getting an 8:5:1 to 8:8:1 ratio. Anywhere in there. I know '85's had relatively low compression (as with 351W's from 1975 and up) so I can't imagine a few years making much of a difference.

Different high performance pistons would be good too, as well as a new cam. Headers and intake, a bigger carb (if yours is carbed, some are Fuel Injected) and new heads. Depending on what you get your hp range could be between 300 and 500. That's up to you. Also, get used to porting. Bigger valves would be good, as well as a new ignition system to power it.

If you do a 100 overbore (sleeves) and stroke it to 4.75 inches you can increase your cubes to 376c.i. Open your exhaust ports from 1.25 to 1.75 and let'r rip. Seriously though, increase your compression. I've seen 300's with 13:1 compression so don't be afraid to raise it substantially.

At this point your pushing more cubes than a stock Windsor (really 352c.i.) and with the right stuff your pushing 500 to 575hp. Even though a Windsor can push 800hp, a 300 6 will PULL. I've seen these 6 cyl fully decked out on the edge of 500ft-lb of torque. As crazy as that sounds, it's not hard to achieve. You just have to know what your doing. Won't that be funny when a 6 cyl is pulling more weight than your buddies V8!

Even when these 6's are built, you can still run them to 300k miles without serious issues. Remember though, performance comes with the loss of fuel economy, so watch what you do if you are going to build this. Most 300's though I believe range between 165/175 to 250hp.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: 68_427 on September 27, 2011, 03:11:38 PM
You want a Ferd with the 300.  As far as I know the max overbore you can safely go is 60 over (I wouldn't even go that far, maybe 40 over), pushing the cubes to 309. You can increase the stroke to 4.375 inches pushing cubes to 338c.i. If you going to stroke it though, better off saving some cash and getting a turbo.

Next step would be to increase compression. I think for your F150 your only getting an 8:5:1 to 8:8:1 ratio. Anywhere in there. I know '85's had relatively low compression (as with 351W's from 1975 and up) so I can't imagine a few years making much of a difference.

Different high performance pistons would be good too, as well as a new cam. Headers and intake, a bigger carb (if yours is carbed, some are Fuel Injected) and new heads. Depending on what you get your hp range could be between 300 and 500. That's up to you. Also, get used to porting. Bigger valves would be good, as well as a new ignition system to power it.

If you do a 100 overbore (sleeves) and stroke it to 4.75 inches you can increase your cubes to 376c.i. Open your exhaust ports from 1.25 to 1.75 and let'r rip. Seriously though, increase your compression. I've seen 300's with 13:1 compression so don't be afraid to raise it substantially.

At this point your pushing more cubes than a stock Windsor (really 352c.i.) and with the right stuff your pushing 500 to 575hp. Even though a Windsor can push 800hp, a 300 6 will PULL. I've seen these 6 cyl fully decked out on the edge of 500ft-lb of torque. As crazy as that sounds, it's not hard to achieve. You just have to know what your doing. Won't that be funny when a 6 cyl is pulling more weight than your buddies V8!

Even when these 6's are built, you can still run them to 300k miles without serious issues. Remember though, performance comes with the loss of fuel economy, so watch what you do if you are going to build this. Most 300's though I believe range between 165/175 to 250hp.

That is all very interesting, but I'm getting a 400 hp Volvo.

93JC

Quote from: shp4man on September 27, 2011, 02:48:55 PM
It's actually a 42RE according to the build sheet. I read they only put that one behind V6's. It's also in Jeep Cherokees.

GRAND Cherokees, not Cherokees. Grand Cherokee used the 42RE behind I6s and early 5.2 V8s. The only four-speed automatic used in Cherokees was the Aisin-Warner 30-40LE (also used in rear-drive Toyotas and Volvos).

shp4man

After much consideration, I think it's best to keep it original.

Eye of the Tiger

68_427

I still think body color bumpers would look good.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Secret Chimp

You should shop for a used cap or bed cover, if you're going to add on anything to it at all.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Eye of the Tiger

Covering the bed just turns it into an SUV with no rear seats. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt, never wore it.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 68_427 on September 28, 2011, 09:03:32 AM
I still think body color bumpers would look good.

I'm a big fan of the Libyan rebel school of pick-up truck customization.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

S204STi

lol, that's a rocket pod off of a helicopter.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: R-inge on September 29, 2011, 12:06:03 AM
lol, that's a rocket pod off of a helicopter.

Either of a Hind-D, or an SU-28, yes. Russian 55MM rockets.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 26, 2011, 09:29:05 PM
Spring-over-axle leaf suspensions are pretty rare.

Huh? I see them all the time on trucks around here. Unless flipping them to be on top is just so common that it seems stock? :lol:

shp4man

Well, I've had the old Dodge pickup for almost a year now. It's been a decent vehicle, always ready to take me to work in the rain, or haul the kayak to the ocean. That black bar above the cab is a kayak hauler. I did pirate some chrome wheel trim from another vehicle, though. The transmission still works, contrary to the prophecy of Hounddog.  :lol:

Secret Chimp

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

SVT666