Should the Chevy Colorado offer a V8?

Started by Tom, October 01, 2005, 04:00:55 PM

Would this be a wise move on Chevy's part?

No
2 (14.3%)
Hell no
1 (7.1%)
Yes
11 (78.6%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Tom

Some people seem to think so.  I disagree.

280Z Turbo

Just bringing back the 4.3L Vortec would be sufficient!

mazda6er

I'm gonna say Yes, it would be good for a Colorado SS model. At least a V6 is necessary, that's for sure.
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

TBR

I voted yes, though really the 4.2l I6 would be perfectly adequete (though I am still questioning the logic of making that engine at all).

280Z Turbo

QuoteI voted yes, though really the 4.2l I6 would be perfectly adequete (though I am still questioning the logic of making that engine at all).
Would the I-6 fit? It seems to me that they would have used it if it fit.

The 4.2 seems a bit pointless when they have the 4.8L V8.

TBR

Exactly, the I6 is hardly a space efficent engine so a V8 can fit anywhere with room to spare that it can while producing more power with less weight (remember, the I6 has DOHC) and having comparable gas mileage. But, as usual, GM just didn't think it through.  

thewizard16

A V8 isn't needed, but a nice V6 sure wouldn't hurt.  
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

ifcar

Yes. GM needs to dump the "underpowered" image that has come from the Colorado/Canyon's small highest-end engines. They need to add a V8, and not just for an SS model either.  

Raghavan

GM has great V8's. Why do they have this pansy-ass I5? stick in the 5.3, imo.

Tom

Let me supply some figures for you guys to throw around.  (All in smallet trim level)

Length
Dakota 218.8
Frontier 205.5
Colorado 192.4
Tacoma 190.4

Height
Dakota 68.6
Frontier 68.7
Tacoma 65.7
Colorado 64.9

The only car that offers a V8 is the biggest in size by far.  The other three, larger yet closer in size offers a V6.  I have no problem with the Colorado having a V6(or I6), but it is simply to small for a V8.  Sure, it would be fast and people like us who criticize and praise cars we have no intention of buying would like it, but the bottom line is it would be a bad move for Chevy.  Rag, how are you going to fit the a frikin Silverado engine in it?  Good luck driving that in the rain with hundreds of additional pounds up front.  The Colorado biggest market is fleets who need small, cheap, American trucks to carry light stuff around.  They don't need a V8, netiher to consumors who are looking for a small hauler.  Look at the Frontier and Tacoma.  Each has a V6 that's plenty powerful.  There's no need for a V8.

Catman

I think a V8 is overkill in a truck that size.  A decent V or I6 is all thats needed.

280Z Turbo

QuoteRag, how are you going to fit the a frikin Silverado engine in it?  Good luck driving that in the rain with hundreds of additional pounds up front.  The Colorado biggest market is fleets who need small, cheap, American trucks to carry light stuff around.  They don't need a V8, netiher to consumors who are looking for a small hauler.  Look at the Frontier and Tacoma.  Each has a V6 that's plenty powerful.  There's no need for a V8.
Remember, the S10 had the 4.3L. That probably wasn't the lightest engine, you know. And the Colorado is bigger than the S10.

Although, the 4.3 was already kind of shoe-horned in the engine bay of the S10. A V8 would be even tighter.

Plus, with an open differential, there would be some traction problems for sure.

TBR

The Frontier really doesn't need a 265hp V6 either, but it certainly doesn't hurt anything. That is the same deal here, but the Colorado does need more than an I5.

ifcar

QuoteLet me supply some figures for you guys to throw around.  (All in smallet trim level)

Length
Dakota 218.8
Frontier 205.5
Colorado 192.4
Tacoma 190.4

Height
Dakota 68.6
Frontier 68.7
Tacoma 65.7
Colorado 64.9

The only car that offers a V8 is the biggest in size by far.  The other three, larger yet closer in size offers a V6.  I have no problem with the Colorado having a V6(or I6), but it is simply to small for a V8.  Sure, it would be fast and people like us who criticize and praise cars we have no intention of buying would like it, but the bottom line is it would be a bad move for Chevy.  Rag, how are you going to fit the a frikin Silverado engine in it?  Good luck driving that in the rain with hundreds of additional pounds up front.  The Colorado biggest market is fleets who need small, cheap, American trucks to carry light stuff around.  They don't need a V8, netiher to consumors who are looking for a small hauler.  Look at the Frontier and Tacoma.  Each has a V6 that's plenty powerful.  There's no need for a V8.
That's fine, most of the others also offer base engines for that purpose. But then they offer a higher-end engine option for people who want more than a basic pickup. That's not where the profit is anyway.

The $30,000 crew cab models should have a V8 option. The regular and extended cabs can suffice with the I4 and I5s.  

Raghavan

Is the 5.3l V8 hundreds of pounds more? I mean the I5 has DOHC, and i thought it was an iron block...

Tom

QuoteLet me supply some figures for you guys to throw around.  (All in smallet trim level)

Length
Dakota 218.8
Frontier 205.5
Colorado 192.4
Tacoma 190.4

Height
Dakota 68.6
Frontier 68.7
Tacoma 65.7
Colorado 64.9

The only car that offers a V8 is the biggest in size by far.  The other three, larger yet closer in size offers a V6.  I have no problem with the Colorado having a V6(or I6), but it is simply to small for a V8.  Sure, it would be fast and people like us who criticize and praise cars we have no intention of buying would like it, but the bottom line is it would be a bad move for Chevy.  Rag, how are you going to fit the a frikin Silverado engine in it?  Good luck driving that in the rain with hundreds of additional pounds up front.  The Colorado biggest market is fleets who need small, cheap, American trucks to carry light stuff around.  They don't need a V8, netiher to consumors who are looking for a small hauler.  Look at the Frontier and Tacoma.  Each has a V6 that's plenty powerful.  There's no need for a V8.
That's fine, most of the others also offer base engines for that purpose. But then they offer a higher-end engine option for people who want more than a basic pickup. That's not where the profit is anyway.

The $30,000 crew cab models should have a V8 option. The regular and extended cabs can suffice with the I4 and I5s.
With that reasoning, every other truck you mentioned as a competitor- Tacoma, Frontier, Ridgeline- should come with a V8 too.  If anyone needs 300+ HP out of a truck, they are not buying a compact.

Raghavan

QuoteIs the 5.3l V8 hundreds of pounds more? I mean the I5 has DOHC, and i thought it was an iron block...

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

ifcar

QuoteLet me supply some figures for you guys to throw around.  (All in smallet trim level)

Length
Dakota 218.8
Frontier 205.5
Colorado 192.4
Tacoma 190.4

Height
Dakota 68.6
Frontier 68.7
Tacoma 65.7
Colorado 64.9

The only car that offers a V8 is the biggest in size by far.  The other three, larger yet closer in size offers a V6.  I have no problem with the Colorado having a V6(or I6), but it is simply to small for a V8.  Sure, it would be fast and people like us who criticize and praise cars we have no intention of buying would like it, but the bottom line is it would be a bad move for Chevy.  Rag, how are you going to fit the a frikin Silverado engine in it?  Good luck driving that in the rain with hundreds of additional pounds up front.  The Colorado biggest market is fleets who need small, cheap, American trucks to carry light stuff around.  They don't need a V8, netiher to consumors who are looking for a small hauler.  Look at the Frontier and Tacoma.  Each has a V6 that's plenty powerful.  There's no need for a V8.

With that reasoning, every other truck you mentioned as a competitor- Tacoma, Frontier, Ridgeline- should come with a V8 too.  If anyone needs 300+ HP out of a truck, they are not buying a compact.
Who said anything about 300+ hp? Not even some fullsizers have that.

It just needs to be able to run somewhere close to a Tacoma or Frontier in acceleration, and a Dakota in towing capacity. A V8 would no doubt be the best way to do that, and the Colorado sorely needs bragging rights.  

ifcar

QuoteWhat's a Chevy Colorado?
It replaced the S-10 two years ago. You have heard of the S-10, right?  <_<  

Raghavan

QuoteIs the 5.3l V8 hundreds of pounds more? I mean the I5 has DOHC, and i thought it was an iron block...
can ANYONE answer my question? <_<  

SJ_GTI

QuoteJust bringing back the 4.3L Vortec would be sufficient!
Why would giving it a less powerful and less smooth engine be a good thing?

As for the topic at hand I voted "yes." I think Chevy sould try and fit in the 4.8L V8.

Raza

QuoteWhat's a Chevy Colorado?
It replaced the S-10 two years ago. You have heard of the S-10, right?  <_<
That I've heard of.  I've heard of the Colorado as well.  I just don't know anything about it.  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raghavan

As for the topic at hand I voted "yes." I think Chevy sould try and fit in the 4.8L V8.
more torque?

Fire It Up

Is there a hell yes option? I mean cmon, the Frontiers got the big torquey VQ and the Tacoma has the XRunner. At least make like a limited run Colorado with a V8, a stick and slushy uption, a few cosmetic touches, and extra features. It would be completely badass. Or just the V8. Or some bigger engine, everyone complains its freakin gutless.

Founder of CarSPIN Turbo Club

280Z Turbo

It's not less powerful. Maybe it is on paper, but in real life, the 4.3L has more balls than the DOHC 1-5. Plus, simply because it has fewer cylinders and less displacement it is perceived as being "wimpy".

When it comes to trucks:
OHV>OHC

Besides, what's the big deal with smoothness? Do you think American truck buyers care about superficial crap like that? They want low-end torque and reliability.

I guess people today like boring engines that don't make any noise, but I sure don't.

Raghavan

A lowered, firmer RWD V8 SS model sounds like a great idea to take on the XRunner...

280Z Turbo

QuoteA lowered, firmer RWD V8 SS model sounds like a great idea to take on the XRunner...
Don't forget about this:

Raghavan

QuoteA lowered, firmer RWD V8 SS model sounds like a great idea to take on the XRunner...
Don't forget about this:
That's not what i'm talking aboot. This would have to be much cheaper, wouldn't be as powerful, nor would be a convertible, and would have a USEABLE bed.