Time to Flush

Started by footoflead, October 01, 2005, 08:32:42 PM

280Z Turbo

QuoteSooo....Does anybody know where i can get a kit to do it or what?
Do what?
:rolleyes: Read the title sean...
That's what I figured you were asking, but why in the world would you need a kit?! They have a tool to test your coolant to water ratio, but that's all I know of.

Just open up the drainplug on the radiator, drain it into an oil pan, and refill through the radiator cap. You can even buy 50-50 coolant premixed now.

Ask a stupid question...get a stupid answer.:rolleyes:  ;)
I think he wants to get it all out.
I would prefer to flush it since this car is drivin in tx and commonly gets stuck in houston traffic so i would like to prevent build up of any sort
The build up gets freed up. My junkyard motor had caked up brown coolant crap in it. When I put coolant in, it was green, it's now kinda brownish. The water flow frees any gunk up so there's nothing to worry about. I should change it, but my temp gauge is always under half.

The only reason my L28et had gunk in it was because it was sitting for so long.

If you're that serious about it, you can take it to a radiator shop and have it professionally cleaned. I wouldn't recommend it for a vehicle that new.

Are you sure it uses normal coolant? If it uses long-life coolant (my mom's Intrigue does) then don't touch it.

footoflead

Do what?
That's what I figured you were asking, but why in the world would you need a kit?! They have a tool to test your coolant to water ratio, but that's all I know of.

Just open up the drainplug on the radiator, drain it into an oil pan, and refill through the radiator cap. You can even buy 50-50 coolant premixed now.

I would prefer to flush it since this car is drivin in tx and commonly gets stuck in houston traffic so i would like to prevent build up of any sort
The build up gets freed up. My junkyard motor had caked up brown coolant crap in it. When I put coolant in, it was green, it's now kinda brownish. The water flow frees any gunk up so there's nothing to worry about. I should change it, but my temp gauge is always under half.

The only reason my L28et had gunk in it was because it was sitting for so long.

If you're that serious about it, you can take it to a radiator shop and have it professionally cleaned. I wouldn't recommend it for a vehicle that new.

Are you sure it uses normal coolant? If it uses long-life coolant (my mom's Intrigue does) then don't touch it.
I'll find out on the coolant...
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

280Z Turbo

Do what?

Why would you want to do that? You would need to turn the water pump to pump it out. Believe me, draining it gets enough of it out.

Do you get all the oil out when you change you oil? I sure hope not!
He will still be missing a portion of the dirty coolant that doesn't happen to be in the radiator.  It's up to him, but I would rather get it all out.
Exactly why i want to flush it...

I realize you dont get all the oil out when you drain it..but i would like to start out with some fresh coolant
The little bit stored in the water passages and hoses is insignificant.

I think a radiator shop can get it all out, but you can't.

footoflead

Do what?

Why would you want to do that? You would need to turn the water pump to pump it out. Believe me, draining it gets enough of it out.

Do you get all the oil out when you change you oil? I sure hope not!
He will still be missing a portion of the dirty coolant that doesn't happen to be in the radiator.  It's up to him, but I would rather get it all out.
Exactly why i want to flush it...

I realize you dont get all the oil out when you drain it..but i would like to start out with some fresh coolant
The little bit stored in the water passages and hoses is insignificant.

I think a radiator shop can get it all out, but you can't.
i know they make these kits that let you connect a water hose to a conneter that you put in you coolant line...and you run water through it and it "flush's" the radiator...

I was trying to see if anyone had experience with these and knew where i could get a good/cheap one...and help me out...but i guess nobody knows so i guess i'm on my own again

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

280Z Turbo

Quotei know they make these kits that let you connect a water hose to a conneter that you put in you coolant line...and you run water through it and it "flush's" the radiator...

I was trying to see if anyone had experience with these and knew where i could get a good/cheap one...and help me out...but i guess nobody knows so i guess i'm on my own again
I've never heard of such a thing.

I really don't think it's necessary. If there's been no problems on my old junkyard motor, then you should be fine.

footoflead

Quotei know they make these kits that let you connect a water hose to a conneter that you put in you coolant line...and you run water through it and it "flush's" the radiator...

I've never heard of such a thing.

I really don't think it's necessary. If there's been no problems on my old junkyard motor, then you should be fine.
What your not taking into consideration is that its a FORD..anything and everything will go wrong with it...i'm trying to do a little extra preventitive maintaince ;)  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

280Z Turbo

I don't get it. My Ranger has been very reliable. And it was built in a time period when domestic quality was supposedly in the toliet.

Just take it to a radiator shop and have them clean it. It seems like a waste of money on a new vehicle like yours, but if it makes you feel better, that would be the way to go, IMO. They can clean it good.

Run Away

Yeah, they make a connector that allows you to hook up a garden hose to your radiator cap and turn it on full blast, letting you flush out the coolant, as opposed to changing it. Personally I wouldn't do it if it were any other vehicle, but seeing as it's a 3.8L Ford V6 (they use headgaskets) it probably wouldn't hurt to service the cooling system to avoid overheating at all costs.

280Z Turbo

New coolant won't fix an overheating problem if you have one.

footoflead

QuoteYeah, they make a connector that allows you to hook up a garden hose to your radiator cap and turn it on full blast, letting you flush out the coolant, as opposed to changing it. Personally I wouldn't do it if it were any other vehicle, but seeing as it's a 3.8L Ford V6 (they use headgaskets) it probably wouldn't hurt to service the cooling system to avoid overheating at all costs.
Thats the main reason...

Arent the 3.8's notorious for blowing head gaskets or something

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Run Away

QuoteNew coolant won't fix an overheating problem if you have one.
He isn't overheating currently, but as a precaution he wants to make his cooling system perform like new to minimize the chance of that happening.

Run Away

QuoteYeah, they make a connector that allows you to hook up a garden hose to your radiator cap and turn it on full blast, letting you flush out the coolant, as opposed to changing it. Personally I wouldn't do it if it were any other vehicle, but seeing as it's a 3.8L Ford V6 (they use headgaskets) it probably wouldn't hurt to service the cooling system to avoid overheating at all costs.
Thats the main reason...

Yeah they are.

I don't know if it's for certain years only or what, the Ford Techs here would know.

JWC

It appears that 2002 Mustang v6 doesn't have the headgasket and front timing cover leaks common to the 1996-1999 my.

Ford's recommends changing out the coolant every 45,000 miles, if green coolant. Ford basically recommends a drain/refill. Drain the radiator and refill it.  I believe in getting out as much of the old coolant as possible.  Many people forget that coolant remains in the engine block and heater core. I wouldn't change only four quarts of engine oil when it takes five, so why do that with my coolant and transmission fluid.

The flush kit you're talking about was/is made by Prestone. I haven't worked auto parts in 20 years so I don't know it they still make it or not.

Edit:

Well, there is this:

http://www.honeywell.com.au/business/holts...tone/flush.html

footoflead

QuoteIt appears that 2002 Mustang v6 doesn't have the headgasket and front timing cover leaks common to the 1996-1999 my.

Ford's recommends changing out the coolant every 45,000 miles, if green coolant. Ford basically recommends a drain/refill. Drain the radiator and refill it.  I believe in getting out as much of the old coolant as possible.  Many people forget that coolant remains in the engine block and heater core. I wouldn't change only four quarts of engine oil when it takes five, so why do that with my coolant and transmission fluid.

The flush kit you're talking about was/is made by Prestone. I haven't worked auto parts in 20 years so I don't know it they still make it or not.

Edit:

Well, there is this:

http://www.honeywell.com.au/business/holts...tone/flush.html
Thanks alot JWC...that really helped out...Looks like i have my weekend project B)  :rockon:  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

BartsSVO

Thats the main reason...

It was in some applications, probably due to a lack of proper cooling than the design of the engine itself. Cooling and proper head bolt torque becomes very critical when bolting aluminium heads on a cast iron block.

To flush out all the old coolant, just drain the radiator completely, then fill with water only. Leave the radiator cap off and stick a hose in the filler neck. Start the motor and let it run until the thermostat opens, then open the drain on the radiator and start the water running out of the hose. Do this until the water coming out of the radiator drain is clear. Its simple and doesn't require cutting into potentially expensive to replace hoses running to the heater core. Trust me, you don't want to be running water at high pressure into the heater core on ANY Mustang. If a simple flush like I described doesn't clean out enough of the goop, then you're probably looking at having to replace a plugged radiator or heater core anyway.
--Bart

1986 Mustang SVO
1995 Ranger XLT

footoflead

Thats the main reason...

It was in some applications, probably due to a lack of proper cooling than the design of the engine itself. Cooling and proper head bolt torque becomes very critical when bolting aluminium heads on a cast iron block.

To flush out all the old coolant, just drain the radiator completely, then fill with water only. Leave the radiator cap off and stick a hose in the filler neck. Start the motor and let it run until the thermostat opens, then open the drain on the radiator and start the water running out of the hose. Do this until the water coming out of the radiator drain is clear. Its simple and doesn't require cutting into potentially expensive to replace hoses running to the heater core. Trust me, you don't want to be running water at high pressure into the heater core on ANY Mustang. If a simple flush like I described doesn't clean out enough of the goop, then you're probably looking at having to replace a plugged radiator or heater core anyway.
K...well the hard part is gonna be disposing of the crap...i guess i will jsut take it to my mechanic...i hate wasting money on labor charges when i can do it for free...

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Pancor

What kind of moron would suggest just draining your rad in a thread about coolant flushes?  

Bart's Method sounds like the easiest way to do it, but don't just push all the old shit out, buy a bottle of flush cleaner and let it circulate through your cooling system for an hour or so before you flush the old stuff out.   This will remove all the stuck-on crap that you're trying to get out, and inhibits corrosion as far as I know.  You could buy one of the garden hose adapters, but on my cars, I found a standard garden hose connection fits perfectly inside my upper rad hose, so I slid it in there and clamped it - worked beautifully.   Don't think a shop can do a better job than you can, all they have is a $1000 dollar machine that does the exact same thing, only using clean brand new coolant to push the old shit out.    

footoflead

QuoteWhat kind of moron would suggest just draining your rad in a thread about coolant flushes?
Hu??

who are you talking to there??.... :blink:  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Pancor

QuoteWhat kind of moron would suggest just draining your rad in a thread about coolant flushes?
Hu??

who are you talking to there??.... :blink:
"280Z Turbo"  Seems to think that a flush is unnecessary, and that draining and re-filling your rad is good enough, seeing as how the amount of coolant in your engine, heater core and hoses is insignificant...

280Z Turbo

I just don't think it's necessary to flush a car that's only a few years old. Seeing as how it's the green stuff (I originally thought it was the 100k stuff) draining it probably wouldn't be a bad idea. A lot of coolant is sucked out of the engine by gravity through the Believe me, I've taken the motor out of my car and most of it IS drained through the drainplug.

Bart's method sounds easy enough, you might as well do it. I thought you had to take it to a shop but it doesn't sound like that's necessary. I think I might try Bart's method on the Z this fall (it really does need it).

I may not have as much experience as others, but I'm certainly not a moron. I'm still learning.

footoflead

I just don't think it's necessary to flush a car that's only a few years old. Seeing as how it's the green stuff (I originally thought it was the 100k stuff) draining it probably wouldn't be a bad idea. A lot of coolant is sucked out of the engine by gravity through the Believe me, I've taken the motor out of my car and most of it IS drained through the drainplug.

Bart's method sounds easy enough, you might as well do it. I thought you had to take it to a shop but it doesn't sound like that's necessary. I think I might try Bart's method on the Z this fall (it really does need it).

I may not have as much experience as others, but I'm certainly not a moron. I'm still learning.
I definitly dont have as much as experience as any of you...but i'm am here to learn and etc.

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's