Would You Buy A Hybrid, Diesel, Electric... ?

Started by Atomic, October 02, 2011, 10:47:27 AM

With high gasoline prices, what are you MOST LIKELY to do next time around?

Buy a hybrid
Buy a diesel
Buy an electric
Buy a smaller car
Buy the vehicle I want, but with smaller engine
Buy whatever I damn well please
Choose carefully (I will likely consider the gas prices at time of purchase)
OTHER (please explain)
I have already purchased a more fuel efficient vehicle
I will sell my vehicle and walk, cycle, take a bus or ride the train

Atomic

The following article prompted today's poll question. I think MPG will actually influence next purchase:

http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/30/autos/hybrid_car_sales/?iid=HP_Highlight

Mustangfan2003

Onslaught

Hybrid? No, I have nothing against them but I don't want or need one.
Diesel? No
Electric? Not now. Perhaps years and years from now but nothing they have today works well enough.

I really don't care about MPG.

ifcar

I always factor in gas mileage, and would continue to do so, but I don't need an expensive solution like diesel or an electric motor.

Atomic

Quote from: ifcar on October 02, 2011, 12:42:37 PM
I always factor in gas mileage, and would continue to do so, but I don't need an expensive solution like diesel or an electric motor.

i am pleased with the great selection of hybrids (first, second generations) appearing on the market, i.e., kia optima, hyundai sonata, next honda accord, 2012 camry.

MexicoCityM3

I would buy a 118d immediately as a DD if it was available here. I have considered a Jetta TDI (which is available).
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

mzziaz

My next car will most likely be either diesel or electric.
Cuore Sportivo

cawimmer430

My next car will definitely be a diesel and a station wagon (I need space!). I'm driving a lot these days and the gas mileage of the 118i isn't that great.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

2o6

Hybrid. Diesel looks great, but there is nothing out there for a small diesel that lights my fire.

Even still, i'd have to have a gun to my head to do Diesel, too.

Soup DeVille

Gas prices, with my current commute, are not yet high enough to effect my purchase decision. Although I want to one day build my own homemade electric car conversion, I want to do so more as an interesting engineering exercise than as a statement of any kind.

Although I have nothing against either diesels or hybrids, there are none currently on the market that are appealing to me.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SVT666

I work from home all but 1 day a week so my next car is actually going to have a much bigger engine.  My wife on the other hand puts about 25,000 miles a year on the Explorer so we are contemplating a used Focus or Civic for her and buying a used crew cab truck for towing our trailer and boat (buying soon). 

GoCougs

Anyone wanna guess my choice?

I can't imagine it really being a factor; certainly not enough to sacrifice to such great lengths.

S204STi

If I can get an Impreza diesel with sports suspension next time around, totally doing it.

Vinsanity

The "green" car I'm most likely to buy next would be a lightly used Infiniti M35 hybrid. But considering that, brand new, it costs almost as much as a CTS-V, I honestly don't see it happening. Hell, I'm more likely to buy a Mercedes E550 coupe over the M, only because I like the styling and engine sound better.

Cookie Monster

I would probably go diesel.

I've wanted a Jetta TDI (sedan or wagon) for a really long time. Plus, if Mazda brings the SKY-D engine over here I'd love to try one out.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Speed_Racer

Quote from: thecarnut on October 02, 2011, 09:05:50 PM
Plus, if Mazda brings the SKY-D engine over here I'd love to try one out.

This one has caught my attention...

thewizard16

Buy whatever I damn well please. I'm not opposed to a hybrid or an electric in the least, there are some good hybrid options out there and electrics probably have some good future potential, but they don't justify the cost difference right now in my opinion. There are some interesting diesel options but diesel is considerably more expensive and they still cost a bit of a premium so they often don't end up being a very smart financial decision either if fuel cost/efficiency is the reason for purchase. I wouldn't have been very open to the idea of a smaller car a couple years ago but there are finally some small cars out there I find interesting now... So it's essentially a crapshoot and if I were actually shopping mileage would be a factor I consider, but not likely a deciding factor.
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

hotrodalex

Depends on what I'm buying the car for. If it's simply a commuting car, I might consider something more fuel efficient. But if it's one of my main cars, obviously as a car enthusiast I'm going to buy whatever I find interesting. After college I'll probably have my El Camino and a motorcycle, which would provide higher MPGs for commuting.

Raza

I drive a fairly fuel efficient compact right now, but I might go smaller next time around.

Then again, I might buy a Mustang. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lebowski

No way I'd consider a hybrid or electric car.  Diesel could be a possibility depends on the car.

Gas prices would have to be really high for it to have much impact on the car I drive, let alone make the jump to a hybrid or electric.

Byteme

Buy whatever I damn well please. 

But, I've always bought fuel efficient cars for daily drivers; by choice though, not driven to do so by gasoline prices.

AutobahnSHO

So why not a diesel hybrid with plug-in capability ?!?!?!!! !?!?!?!?!!!   :lol:

Will

CALL_911

I'd buy a turbodiesel SUV. I wouldn't buy a hybrid or an electric vehicle.

I actually did briefly (I mean very briefly) consider a Golf TDI instead of my current car. Would've been interesting.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Colonel Cadillac

My future car reshuffle is a long way away, but I've definitely considered getting a diesel Jetta for my reliable daily driver to complement my unreliable but awesome second car.

r0tor

The diesel x5 I drove at the BMW training center was really sweet... I could never afford it though new
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

93JC

I'd buy a hybrid, diesel or electric, if the prices for them came down.

I briefly entertained the idea of a diesel Jetta a couple years ago but I'm a little skeptical of a diesel's ability to weather a winter well. If I had a garage I wouldn't be concerned, but leaving the car outside all day makes me wary of having a diesel.

Atomic

GM delays second shift at Volt plant; Changes at the Detroit-Hamtramck factory will allow GM to double Volt production early next year while remaining on one shift.

BY: Mike Colias

FOR: Automotive News -- October 7, 2011 - 2:30 pm ET (UPDATED: 10/7/11 3:25 pm ET)

DETROIT -- General Motors is delaying the addition of a second shift at its Michigan assembly plant that makes the Chevrolet Volt.

In May, GM said that it would add a second shift at its Detroit-Hamtramck plant in early 2012 to double Volt production. Instead, a plant overhaul completed this summer, along with a more-modest addition of workers, will allow GM to double production starting early next year while remaining on one shift, the company said today.

GM said the move "will significantly reduce costs, and has no impact on the plant's ability to make 60,000 Volts and Amperas (the European version of the Volt) in 2012." In May, GM upped its 2012 production forecast to 60,000, from an earlier forecast of 45,000. GM said it still will add about 300 people at the start of the year to increase Volt production, but it will remain on one 10-hour shift, four days a week.

GM is pushing back plans for a second shift, which would have added hundreds more workers, until the second half of 2012. By then, it's expected that production of the next-generation Chevy Malibu will have begun at the plant.

George McGregor, president of UAW Local 22, which represents workers at the plant, said he had expected the addition of a second shift sometime in 2012, but GM had not specified when.

"The sooner the better, but I guess demand will dictate when that happens," he said. "Hopefully we'll get a third shift someday, too."

GM spokesman Chris Lee said in a statement: "This approach is just a more efficient way to make the same number of vehicles -- it's good for our business and good for our customers."

In May, GM said it eventually would add a third shift at the plant, which is scheduled to begin assembly of the next-generation Chevy Malibu, due out early next year, and a new Chevy Impala, which is expected in 2013.

Automated functions

The plant was idled for about six weeks over the summer to automate some functions in the body shop, such as the subassembly of doors. GM also took out roughly six miles worth of conveyor belts, which streamlined the operation and boosted its throughput, the source said.

Those changes have increased production even before adding workers. This year through early August, the plant produced 4,249 Volts. GM says total production will hit 16,000 by year end.

About 10,000 of those will be sold in the United States, GM has said. Another 2,500 will be used as dealer demos. The rest will have been exported to Europe and China.

Next year, GM expects to produce about 45,000 Volts for the United States, along with 15,000 units for export.

GM sold 723 Volts in September. GM sold 3,895 Volts through the first nine months of the year. The vehicle went on sale in December.

Atomic

^ hope the news on the chevy volt (above) does not spell doom for this innovative car ^

AutobahnSHO

hahahaha  They sold under 4k so far 2011 but expect to sell 10k next year?
Will

MrH

I think they're only selling in 4 states right now...
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV