Caravan, Avenger to be replaced with a crossover

Started by 2o6, October 10, 2011, 10:52:47 PM

2o6

93JC

The title is misleading. To say they're being 'replaced' is misleading. The plan is to eliminate the overlap between Dodge and Chrysler. The Avenger and Grand Caravan aren't being consolidated into a 'crossover': they're being eliminated because Chrysler already makes the Town & Country and 200.

Chrysler Canada did something similar around 2000, when Plymouth was eliminated. Dodge became the 'truck' brand, selling only the Caravan, Viper, Durango, Ram and Dakota. The Neon and Intrepid were badged as Chryslers, and the Stratus wasn't sold in Canada. Similarly Chrysler became "just cars": there was no Chrysler Town & Country or Voyager. Save for the Durango the only SUVs were Jeeps. Chrysler dealers were consolidated. Instead of Chrysler-Plymouth, Chrysler-Dodge and Jeep-Eagle dealerships they were combined into Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep; all of them.

I thought this was a great idea but it only lasted for a few years. By '03 or '04 they rebadged the Neon as "Dodge SX 2.0", later they started selling the Avenger, the Caliber, etc.

SVT666

I'm positive the Neon was always sold in Canada as a Dodge.  At the beginning we had the Plymouth Neon, Chrysler Neon, and Dodge Neon.

93JC

Nah, the first generation was sold as a Dodge and Plymouth. The second generation was sold as a Chrysler until, like I said, '03 or '04.

There was such as thing as a first generation Chrysler Neon, but that was sold overseas.

ifcar

According to Automotive News, the new Dodge will share its platform with the next Town & Country...putting it in pretty much the same size/price class as the Durango. I'd have thought it would make more sense to keep the minivan as a Dodge -- the Durango has proved expensive Dodges aren't a problem -- and give Chrysler a crossover.

Galaxy

My first though was that they should ditch the 200, and keep the Avenger, but I guess with a successor the 200 has the potential to turn out great.

ifcar

Quote from: Galaxy on October 11, 2011, 03:53:43 AM
My first though was that they should ditch the 200, and keep the Avenger, but I guess with a successor the 200 has the potential to turn out great.

Right now, after both were similarly updated, the 200 is comfortably outselling the Avenger, so I can see why they went with that.

omicron

Quote from: 93JC on October 10, 2011, 11:53:59 PM
Nah, the first generation was sold as a Dodge and Plymouth. The second generation was sold as a Chrysler until, like I said, '03 or '04.

There was such as thing as a first generation Chrysler Neon, but that was sold overseas.

It's a good idea from the dealers' perspective, as Canadienne Marque points out - one Chrysler Corp. dealership for all Chrysler Corp. products, with proper separation amongst all three brands instead of awkward doubling-up and artificial price differences on the same dealer forecourt (where this minivan is the same as that minivan, but that one with a sheep badge costs less than this one without a sheep).

I do like that the whimsical Town & Country name sill exists - it's a lovely remnant of the Colony Park, Turnpike Cruiser, Vista Cruiser, Country Squire era.

Atomic

Quote from: ifcar on October 11, 2011, 06:58:49 AM
Right now, after both were similarly updated, the 200 is comfortably outselling the Avenger, so I can see why they went with that.

plus, the 2011/12 200 looks more like what chrysler has achieved with the new 300/300C models opposed to where the avenger is at design-wise for dodge. the "mini charger" approach did little to garner sales. the real thing is hot, though!