Wimmer's next car update!

Started by cawimmer430, October 14, 2011, 10:02:47 AM

cawimmer430

As most of you know, I am looking for a "new" used car to house my growing equipment and ever longer distances to clients. The BMW just isn't cutting it anymore. It's not a very fuel efficient car (8/9 L per 100 km is a JOKE in this day and age for such a car) and it's gotten very small as of late. The trunk is completely full with my equipment and when I don't have everything on board there is zero space for rear passengers due to the lack of legroom (whoops, leg amputees can ride with me anytime!). And for many shoots I've found out that I often need to transport people (models etc.) with me. I need space. And lots of it.

That means I definitely need a wagon and a diesel. I also want something comfortable for those long stretches of roads. My first choice is the superb Skoda Superb Combi. Great value for money, reliable, beautiful design, comfortable and very spacious. There really isn't another car that can rival it in terms of these qualities unless you go to the A4/C/3er class and they're a bit more expensive and smaller inside than the Superb. I'm looking at the Skoda Superb Combi 2.0 TDI (140-hp) DSG, preferably in Elegance trim (photos below). I plan on buying a used model if possible.

Other considerations (all used/second hand):

Citroen C5 Break 2.0 HDI Automatic
Volkswagen Passat 2.0 TDI Variant DSG
Mercedes C-Class (S204) T-Modell C200 CDI / C220 CDI Automatic
Audi A4 Avant 2.0 TDI FWD/Quattro DSG
1979 Dodge Diplomat Station Wagon <----  :thumbsup:

The Japanese and Koreans don't offer anything that appeals to me in terms of design, interior space and power plant options.

I visited an Audi/VW/Seat/Skoda dealership in Munich today but they had no Superbs in stock. The Superb sedan is hardly bought - everyone wants the wagon. They had ZERO used Superb Combis on their lot as well. In fact finding a used Superb online is also difficult. Owners apparently love them so much (that's also the impression I get from visiting a few Skoda forums). The salesman tried getting me interested in a leasing deal instead. Not interested in that (at the moment).

In the meantine I checked out the Skoda Yeti and the Skoda Roomster. The Yeti and Roomster were surprisingly "small inside" in terms of trunk space. I wasn't impressed and those cars certainly cannot haul all my equipment around. I also didn't like the driving position in those cars. They felt like "SEMI-SUVs" - just weird.

I also took the time to examine the new Passat station wagon and although the Superb rides on the Passat platform, the Passat seems to be a bit smaller inside. I need to check the technical details to be absolutely sure though.

Updates will follow.  :ohyeah:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Autobahn

I looked at Superbs recently too. This model is not out yet very long, so it's hard to find. Passats on the other hand... I looked at C-Class T-Modells too, but honestly, the cargo bay is a joke (same for the A4 and the 3er). You are better of with a B-Class in that regard if you want to carry high stuff such as bikes.

The Mondeo is nice too (and cheap). What about an S-Max? We have some in the company fleet and it's quite nice for what it is... What about a "Junge Sterne" E-Wagon? Recent 220 CDIs are getting below 30k now... (still more expensive than the others). Used Insignia wagon?

Galaxy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 14, 2011, 10:02:47 AM
The salesman tried getting me interested in a leasing deal instead. Not interested in that (at the moment).

Is your photography entrepreneurship officially registered as a business? If so leasing may be a good option.

Vinsanity

You're going to be driving around with models?

You know you want to. You don't stop talking about it. Time to do it.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Autobahn on October 14, 2011, 10:16:20 AM
I looked at Superbs recently too. This model is not out yet very long, so it's hard to find. Passats on the other hand... I looked at C-Class T-Modells too, but honestly, the cargo bay is a joke (same for the A4 and the 3er). You are better of with a B-Class in that regard if you want to carry high stuff such as bikes.

The Mondeo is nice too (and cheap). What about an S-Max? We have some in the company fleet and it's quite nice for what it is... What about a "Junge Sterne" E-Wagon? Recent 220 CDIs are getting below 30k now... (still more expensive than the others). Used Insignia wagon?

I'm not to gung-ho on a C-Class/A4 since they're much smaller than the Superb inside. They're simply a consideration at the moment but pretty much down on the list. Not crazy about the Ford Mondeo to be honest. My parents neighbor in M?hldorf has the new model and while it is a nice car, I am just not that crazy about it.

The Superb and Citroen C5 are my top choices for now with the Passat a distant third place. I want an automatic transmission since it's more comfortable and the DSG from VWAG is quite impressive.

I don't really want a van like the Ford C/S-Max either. I do place a bit of emphasis on the driving experience and I just don't like MPVs or vans that much. The Superb is still a sedan and by most accounts is also somewhat sporty despite its comfort-biased setup (good steering feedback usw.).

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Galaxy on October 14, 2011, 10:21:11 AM
Is your photography entrepreneurship officially registered as a business? If so leasing may not be a good option.

At the moment no. I'm registering it on January 1, 2012 (I want to avoid all the paperwork for the last three months of this year and start fresh in 2012).

Why would leasing be a bad option in this case? Fill me in please! :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 14, 2011, 10:22:22 AM
You're going to be driving around with models?

You know you want to. You don't stop talking about it. Time to do it.

Mmmmmm....  :wub:

If only the bonnet was the trunk - then all my stuff would fit inside.  :lol:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Galaxy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 14, 2011, 10:27:53 AM

Why would leasing be a bad option in this case? Fill me in please! :lol:

:facepalm:

I think I originally wanted to post "may not be a bad option", and then later typed "good" without realizing I just wrote the opposite of what I wanted to say.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Galaxy on October 14, 2011, 10:30:24 AM
:facepalm:

I think I originally wanted to post "may not be a bad option", and then later typed "good" without realizing I just wrote the opposite of what I wanted to say.

I was wondering. :lol:

Like I said, I may consider leasing later on, but at the moment I am looking for a used model. I may drive down to M?hldorf next week because we have a very good Skoda/Renault dealership there who may be able to help me locate my dream car. I've seen a few Superbs on their lot the last time I was there.

I may even consider the 170-hp TDI with DSG if that's the only model available.  :praise:

www.wimmerfotografie.de

Raza

The Superb should be roomier on the inside than the Passat; it's on a stretched Passat platform, if memory serves.

Get the Superb. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Laconian

The Euro is strong right now. Buy one of our land yachts for cheap. Spend the savings on gasoline.

C'mon, put your money where your mouth is. Skoda == zero H&H.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Galaxy

Here: ? 3,500 buys you a 1985 Lincoln Town Car "Miami Vice."

http://www.autoscout24.de/Details.aspx?id=bs1p2gasdyv4

? 4,999 gets you a 1976 Lincoln Mark IV coup? with classy vinyl roof. Converted to LPG.

http://www.autoscout24.de/Details.aspx?id=lt4yrijchgwq

Oh! 1959 Cadillac Deville Series 62 coup? 6.4. ? 39,000 though.

http://www.autoscout24.de/Details.aspx?id=cumswxite3at

Hmm looks a bit lowered though, also I am not sure if the interior is original. The cloth looks almost modern.

sportyaccordy

Buy what you want to buy Wimmer. There is no convincing you otherwise.

Speed_Racer

Now's your chance! Think of all the History & Heritage & Hookers!

2o6

Golf Plus? A 1.4TSI or some sort of diesel Golf Plus sounds like a good idea.

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

68_427

I know the interior probably isn't cheap, but it looks it.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

2o6

Raza

Quote from: 68_427 on October 14, 2011, 01:28:01 PM

It's a Citroen, it probably is cheap. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Submariner

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 14, 2011, 10:26:02 AM
I'm not to gung-ho on a C-Class/A4 since they're much smaller than the Superb inside. They're simply a consideration at the moment but pretty much down on the list. Not crazy about the Ford Mondeo to be honest. My parents neighbor in M?hldorf has the new model and while it is a nice car, I am just not that crazy about it.

The Superb and Citroen C5 are my top choices for now with the Passat a distant third place. I want an automatic transmission since it's more comfortable and the DSG from VWAG is quite impressive.

I don't really want a van like the Ford C/S-Max either. I do place a bit of emphasis on the driving experience and I just don't like MPVs or vans that much. The Superb is still a sedan and by most accounts is also somewhat sporty despite its comfort-biased setup (good steering feedback usw.).

Last generation diesel E-estate?
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

MexicoCityM3

Get an old E-Class diesel wagon and make your wet dreams come true.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Submariner

Quote from: mzziaz on October 14, 2011, 01:18:46 PM

Get the C5

There is absolutely nothing appealing about the way that looks.
2010 G-550  //  2019 GLS-550

Morris Minor

How about a used VW Touran? They (& MPVs in general) have a bit more vertical space than estate cars.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Rupert

Wimmer, if you get anything other than an uber H&H car, complete with documented crappy CR reviews, then you are required to STFU about H&H and CR.

Forever, or until you put your money where your mouth is. Seriously.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

ifcar

Quote from: 68_427 on October 14, 2011, 01:28:01 PM

Quote from: 2o6 on October 14, 2011, 01:33:14 PM
What!?

I think I see what he's getting at: that you can have really high-quality gray plastics, but if you put them all together they still look like a bunch of gray plastic.

68_427

Quote from: ifcar on October 14, 2011, 08:54:32 PM
I think I see what he's getting at: that you can have really high-quality gray plastics, but if you put them all together they still look like a bunch of gray plastic.

Exactly what I'm talking about.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Colin

Good luck trying to find a Superb Estate........... there are certainly very few available in the UK. I have a friend who ordered a new one back in February and he is still waiting for his!

Is an Octavia really not big enough inside? There should be far more of those available, and the ones I have driven have really impressed me.........

I'd be wary of the Passat. The very latest ones (since late 2010) whilst quite competent are particularly utterly dull. Earlier ones with the 2.0 TDI engine were as rough as hell, and I know far too many people who had expensive engine failures (though maybe these have been fixed now).

I'd look seriously at leasing........ paying a fixed cost per month for the use of a depreciating asset seems like not such a bad deal to me! 

cawimmer430

Quote from: Raza  on October 14, 2011, 11:14:55 AM
The Superb should be roomier on the inside than the Passat; it's on a stretched Passat platform, if memory serves.

Get the Superb. 

I have the brochure with me and the specs are amazing. The cargo space this car offers is unmatched by any other wagon for that price. The next best thing is an MB E-Class T-Modell / Audi A6 Avant / BMW 5er Touring but they're in a higher class all together.

www.wimmerfotografie.de

cawimmer430

Quote from: Laconian on October 14, 2011, 11:19:59 AM
The Euro is strong right now. Buy one of our land yachts for cheap. Spend the savings on gasoline.

C'mon, put your money where your mouth is. Skoda == zero H&H.

Skoda has a lot of H&H actually. Man, the American education system must suck if you don't know that!  :evildude:

Quote from: Speed_Racer on October 14, 2011, 01:04:45 PM
Now's your chance! Think of all the History & Heritage & Hookers!

Mmmmm...1976 Chevy Caprice Wagon! SO HOT!  :wub:

www.wimmerfotografie.de