"Infotainment"... good or bad?

Started by sportyaccordy, October 16, 2011, 06:25:47 PM

sportyaccordy

What do you guys think about the integration of email, internet, etc with cars?

MX793

Bad idea.  On one hand, you've got many states banning the use of cell phones for talking/texting/surfing the web to try to reduce distracted driving and on the other you've got carmakers building these features into their cars.

If you're behind the wheel, you should be driving.  Not texting, emailing, surfing the web or watching videos.  If you want to do that stuff, get a smart phone and take a bus/cab/train.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Laconian

Could be good in that the car could present all that shit as a less distracting modality. If the alternative is that people are going to be pulling out their smartphones and staring at their laps, I'd rather have the car do it in a way that is less distracting to the task of driving.

Ideally there'd be no distractions at all, but that's not a realistic hope.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

sportyaccordy

Rich

I think it would be great if the automakers can get a Siri like AI that interacts with my phone via bluetooth.... or at least get to interact with iPhone Siri via bluetooth.  And then use some kind of "Airplay" wireless functionality that gives a mirror image of my phone on an OLED display or on a heads up display on the windshield.

I'm imagining something like "Siri, call XX restaurant for reservation at 8pm, then give me directions to it (directions would pop up on the display) and text my wife to be there at 8pm"

Otherwise, meh.
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

AltinD

You guys do realise that the Internet (except Google maps) is available for the passanger, right? Modern screens on top end luxury cars are dual (directional): The driver sees the maps and navigation or radio/music datas on it, while simultaniously the passanger can see the video source or internet.

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

sportyaccordy

Quote from: AltinD on October 17, 2011, 06:23:16 AM
You guys do realise that the Internet (except Google maps) is available for the passanger, right? Modern screens on top end luxury cars are dual (directional): The driver sees the maps and navigation or radio/music datas on it, while simultaniously the passanger can see the video source or internet.
I suppose that is fine, though I still think one should have to pull over to make any changes to navigation. Even the voice recognition stuff is rough and can be distracting once on the go.

mzziaz

I like it.

I wanna get a Fiat just to try that Blue&Me-stuff.
Cuore Sportivo

Byteme

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 16, 2011, 06:25:47 PM
What do you guys think about the integration of email, internet, etc with cars?

In the Galaxy Of Bad Ideas it's a pretty bright star.  

Anything that distracts the driver from the primary task at hand, driving the car, is a bad idea.  I think back to the primary lesson drilled into me during my private pilot training.  One's primary responsibility, above all else is to FLY THE PLANE. That takes precedence over puking passengers, radio calls, checking the GPS, reading maps, thinking you are lost, looking for that dropped flashlight, etc.  

Maybe all that connectivity should be enabled only if the speed of the car has been zero for 60 seconds or longer (60 seconds to shut down stoplight texting).

MexicoCityM3

I think it is inevitable. If you don?t like it, you can ignore it or turn it off I guess.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Byteme

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on October 17, 2011, 10:18:00 AM
I think it is inevitable. If you don?t like it, you can ignore it or turn it off I guess.

I really dislike paying for features I don't want or need. 

sportyaccordy

Quote from: MiataJohn on October 17, 2011, 10:24:13 AM
I really dislike paying for features I don't want or need. 
Yea this.

Not to mention, I will be sharing the road with more and more people watching Jersey Shore reruns & checking their Twitter feeds. It's kind of a silly thing for manufacturers to be pushing in the context of hypersafety. Radio, navigation I get. But email? Even hands-free phones are dubious.

Colin

Whilst I can see that there are some benefits in providing useful services and information sources to the car, on the whole I think that this is a Bad Idea.

People seem to think that they can allow themselves to be distracted by all sorts of things whilst their 2 tonne projectile is at lose on the roads..... whatever happened to the idea that you need to concentrate on Driving?

It was deeply scary to hear that a recent UK survey revealed that 30% of people had Admitted to texting while driving.. if 30% admitted then surely the real figure was probably nearer double that. This is outrageous. Makes simply answering the phone on a hand held device seem like a trivial infraction by comparison.

If people want to entertain themselves, or slurp coffee, then whilst behind the wheel is not the place to do it. if it was down to me, I would punish these infractions very heavily indeed. Instant driving ban would be just the start!

Morris Minor

I'm against it. Driving from A to B is incompatible with being bombarded with interactive text, email and the rest.  A well-designed Nav system is fine, provided it's only programmable when the car is in "Park."

Manufacturers should not bury functions like radio controls, climate controls, Nav controls etc. behind the same interface.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

giant_mtb

They should put all the cool Internet-y shit on a screen directly in front of the passenger.

Though I suppose that may interfere with airbag shenanigans.

SVT666

Soup DeVille

Doesn't GM know that if the people in their cars have attention spans that short, they already own an iPhone?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Onslaught

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 17, 2011, 11:21:02 AM
Yea this.

Not to mention, I will be sharing the road with more and more people watching Jersey Shore reruns & checking their Twitter feeds. It's kind of a silly thing for manufacturers to be pushing in the context of hypersafety. Radio, navigation I get. But email? Even hands-free phones are dubious.
No, they kick ass. I never talk on my phone driving. But now that I've got that I will take a call. All you do is push a button on the wheel and that's it.

r0tor

Yea, I'm not much of a phone person while driving... But when I do get a call and I'm in the jeep, I love being able to answer or call with a push of a steering wheel button and not have hold or go rushing in my pocket for a phone.

I wish the rx8 had that option...
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

AltinD

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 17, 2011, 03:19:56 PM
They should put all the cool Internet-y shit on a screen directly in front of the passenger.

Once again, the most advanced systems on the market (found on super luxury models from Mercedes, BMW, Range Rove, Jaguar etc) have a DUAL-DIRECTIONAL-VIEW screen, allowing the passanger to watch media on the screen, while the driver to see the navigation maps on the SAME screen.

sportyaccordy

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 17, 2011, 03:19:56 PM

Or they could save the driver $1000 and have the passenger use their Iphone.

sportyaccordy

Hands-free phones make sense, esp if you're a mom or something. But texts? Emails? Internet? Manufacturers are pushing boundaries in directions we have no business heading into.

Onslaught

Quote from: r0tor on October 18, 2011, 05:42:32 AM

I wish the rx8 had that option...
It's one of the few things the 09 made better.

NomisR

bad idea, but people are still staring at their lap with their cell phones.   Most of the people causing traffic on the road today are people not driving but looking at their phones.  They need to die a firey death. 

Laconian

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2011/10/18/141473671/police-blackberry-outage-led-to-fewer-traffic-accidents-in-abu-dhabi

As Mark has reported, BlackBerry users faced a text messaging outage for three days straight last week. Yesterday, BlackBerry offered some customers $100 in free apps as an apology.

And, today, The Financial Times reports another bit of surprising news born out of the outage: Authorities said the number of traffic accidents fell by 20 percent in Dubai and plummeted by 40 percent in Abu Dhabi during the outage.

The National, an English-language paper from the United Arab Emirates, first reported the story over the weekend. They report that authorities are certain the outage is linked to those drops:

Lt Gen Dahi Khalfan Tamim, the chief of Dubai Police, and Brig Gen Hussein Al Harethi, the director of the Abu Dhabi Police traffic department, linked the drop in accidents to the disruption of BlackBerry services between Tuesday and Thursday.

Brig Gen Al Harethi said: "Accidents were reduced by 40 per cent and the fact that BlackBerry services were down definitely contributed to that."

"Absolutely nothing has happened in the past week in terms of killings on the road and we're really glad about that," Brig Gen Al Harethi said. "People are slowly starting to realise the dangers of using their phone while driving. The roads became much safer when BlackBerry stopped working."

sportyaccordy

I'm more amazed that BB has such a stronghold on those markets. I used to give them the benefit of the doubt but maybe those societies really are backwards

mzziaz

Quote from: sportyaccordy on October 18, 2011, 01:10:37 PM
I'm more amazed that BB has such a stronghold on those markets. I used to give them the benefit of the doubt but maybe those societies really are backwards

:facepalm:
Cuore Sportivo

Cookie Monster

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

AltinD

Another one in the endlessly looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong list of sporty's bizarre statements  :wtf:

Laconian

He forgot the ;), because it was a pretty funny joke.