Bad tie rods?

Started by 2o6, October 16, 2011, 10:08:29 PM

MX793

Quote from: 2o6 on November 23, 2011, 06:20:29 PM

I got my car back, and it's back to normal. A guy on the focus forum says it's the steering knuckle isn't secured correctly onto the axle, but unlikely.

"If the rotor was loose, axle nut not properly torqued, the pads in the caliper could open more than necessary. This would cause the pedal to travel much further to the floor the next time you went to brake. It does make sense, but I don't see why the nut isn't properly torqued unless he cross threaded the axle. In this case, this may be why he reccomends you need a new cv axle.
Ouch. It's hard to find a reputable shop these days. One that stands behind their mistakes, everybody makes them. "

In other words, it was likely his fault those threads got screwed up. (Unless the previous owner just had a fetish for taking off CV axles)

Whatever. Never going back to this guy again.

A loose rotor isn't going to have enough force to push the caliper open.  And even if it could, it certainly would not be enough to make the pedal sink to the floor.  Pedal going to the floor is generally a sign that you're either low on brake fluid or there's air in the lines that needs to be bled out.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rupert

It's a sign that there is a problem with the pressure in the system. Low on fluid, air, leaks, etc.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

shp4man

Damn. A comedy of errors.  :huh:

mzziaz

I predict 206 shortly will die in a horrible car accident.
Cuore Sportivo

2o6

The crappy shop that did my bearing wrong also managed to do my lug stud wrong.

The lug nut was crossthreaded on the stud, and it broke off, when I took the wheel/tire to be exchanged.

S204STi

This is what happens when you shop around for the cheapest guy in town rather than the best guy in town.

hotrodalex

Quote from: R-inge on November 25, 2011, 05:42:06 PM
This is what happens when you shop around for the cheapest guy in town rather than the best guy in town.

In the end, it's usually cheaper if you go to a more expensive mechanic and get it done right the first time.

S204STi

2o6

Quote from: R-inge on November 25, 2011, 05:42:06 PM

I didnt cheap out, though. His quote was near the top of my estimates...

Eye of the Tiger

These guys are idiots. If they made you pay a single penny to fix their dumbass mistakes, take them to court and/or file a BBB complaint.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Rupert

Yeah, a BBB complaint will probably motivate them. I had to do that once, and shit was resolved very quickly.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Rupert on November 26, 2011, 01:49:37 AM
Yeah, a BBB complaint will probably motivate them. I had to do that once, and shit was resolved very quickly.
It definately will! My granddad filed on a shop once and within 2 days they fixed his truck free of charge.
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

2o6

So I looked at the front left rotor. There's a nice 1/4 inch circumference of rust where the brake pad is not making making contact with the rotor. Methinks the caliper was not correctly reset back on the disc.

hotrodalex

Quote from: 2o6 on November 26, 2011, 05:31:51 PM
So I looked at the front left rotor. There's a nice 1/4 inch circumference of rust where the brake pad is not making making contact with the rotor. Methinks the caliper was not correctly reset back on the disc.

And it wasn't like that before this fiasco?

You're going to need to change the rotor if it starts eating away at the pad.

2o6

Quote from: hotrodalex on November 26, 2011, 07:42:06 PM
And it wasn't like that before this fiasco?

You're going to need to change the rotor if it starts eating away at the pad.

No, it wasn't I'm thinking misshapen pads or a wonky rotor.

sparkplug

Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

Rupert

Gotta-Qik-C7

206 I didn't know that your car doesn't have an air filter. I did a tune up on a friends 2005 Focus and it doesn't have a filter. Shocked the shit outta me!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on December 03, 2011, 06:46:10 PM
206 I didn't know that your car doesn't have an air filter. I did a tune up on a friends 2005 Focus and it doesn't have a filter. Shocked the shit outta me!

I used to have an '05. It does have a filter, but it's a non-serviceable lifetime filter. There is vacuum gauge on the side of it that will tell you if it is clogged.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-C6 on December 03, 2011, 06:46:10 PM

It does too.

It's a regular paper one.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 03, 2011, 07:00:09 PM
I used to have an '05. It does have a filter, but it's a non-serviceable lifetime filter. There is vacuum gauge on the side of it that will tell you if it is clogged.
Yep! Thats what his had. I should have stated a regular paper filter.
Quote from: 280Z Turbo on December 03, 2011, 09:20:29 PM
It does too.

It's a regular paper one.
No it doesn't!

Eye of the Tiger

2o6's car has a regular filter. The lifetime thing was new on the Duratec engines.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on December 04, 2011, 10:36:27 AM
2o6's car has a regular filter. The lifetime thing was new on the Duratec engines.
OH! OK! Stupid Fords!  :mask:

Eye of the Tiger

You should probably change the air filter on you C6, perhaps to something that produces high airflow at greater than atmospheric pressure?

Gotta-Qik-C7

I've been looking at cold air kits. I haven't made up my mind tho!

Eye of the Tiger

Let me put it another way: supercharge it. :devil: